X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding Foam

I have a couple balsa/monocoat 3-d planes and have experienced gear failure on any less than perfect landings. Either the lightweight spring steel bends or the entire structure is ripped out. The area where the gear attaches to the fuse is usually very weak and does not allow for any flexibility as foamies do. In order to save myself a major repair job I found that applying spray insulating foam in the area of the firewall, gear & wing attachment provides a great deal of strength for minimal weight. I apply liberally and wait 24 hours, then cut and carve the areas needed for airflow, bat. bays, ect. Since using this mod I have had no incidents.
    CT

RE: Expanding Foam

That sounds like a great idea. It might even work on foamies too as there could be some structural weakness areas that the foam might fill in around and strengthen. Nice, will have to explore that more. Appreciate the tip.
    Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer
      That sounds like a great idea.  It might even work on foamies too as there could be some structural weakness areas that the foam might fill in around and strengthen.  Nice, will have to explore that more.  Appreciate the tip.
      Absolutely, I also use it on cheap plastic nose cones which will shred just looking at them
      CT

Comment

I'm an experienced bronze sculptor, therefore, mold making is my expertise. I have often considered the fact that I could make molds off of foamies, pilots, parts, and use expanding foam to reproduce them. Aside from being way to much effort for replacement parts only (not mass production), those darn ethics get in the way! However, being a sculptor I could make my on pilots for reproduction, which unlike most are not true scale to the plane, and cast them from foam. It would be fun, but highly impractical to go through the mold making process just to make a few pilots or whatever. Still thinking about it though. The Doctor

Comment

Hey Doc, if you ever do, and you're making some WWII 1400 scale pilots, let me know, I'm not really fond of the FMS ones, I think the Freewing pilots look better.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
          X