X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new Thread!

Here we are guys!  We asked for it and MRC responded!  Now lets see what we can do hear.
    I've been experimenting around with my airbrush, getting the feel of it.  Going to try the two other needles that came with it as well
    If you didn't catch this before, here's a great set of videos to help you along.  I found them extremely helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/grextools/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0. Shangila went from factory finish

To warbird finish
    using this fellows techniques
    Party on !
    Grossman56
    Attached Files
    Team Gross!

RE: Our new Thread!

Dang G56-that looks fantastic! Wish I could see it flying too, I bet it will looks outstanding on those fast, low fly-bys! Awesome!

Comment

Thanks Lone, can't wait to see her fly myself, just waiting for the weather to get better and the wind to let up  a little.
      You know how you get a good feeling about an airplane, like you just know she's going to be great in the air, well, that me with this plane.  Still have to check the control throws and I'll probably do the CG again, just to make sure, but yeah, she'll be great.
      That was the thing when I watched the video of Ryan flying his, it just looked sooooo authentic!!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Got the undersides of Shangrila done this morning as the sun is shining and 60 degrees here.  So why, pray tell, am I not out flying?

Damned wind is knocking down power lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Notice the wheels are red as Shangrila's were
        Did a little practicing with the airbrush, aiming, controlling flow,etc. I found, once again, that thin paint is the best for me, about 50/50, then I adjust the flow of the gun so I can crawl right up to the panel lines and add black, I really noticed an improvement today.  I'm using two hands on the gun, just as if I were shooting a pistol and easing back on the trigger rather than stabbing it.  If you have it set just right, there is no spider webbing when you are less than an inch from the panel.

Grossman56
        Attached Files
        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
          Got the undersides of Shangrila done this morning as the sun is shining and 60 degrees here.  So why, pray tell, am I not out flying?

Damned wind is knocking down power lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Notice the wheels are red as Shangrila's were
          Did a little practicing with the airbrush, aiming, controlling flow,etc. I found, once again, that thin paint is the best for me, about 50/50, then I adjust the flow of the gun so I can crawl right up to the panel lines and add black, I really noticed an improvement today.  I'm using two hands on the gun, just as if I were shooting a pistol and easing back on the trigger rather than stabbing it.  If you have it set just right, there is no spider webbing when you are less than an inch from the panel.

Grossman56
          Looks great Gman,
            I'll be getting the new airbrush soon so I will try it on my Freewing P-51.  60 degrees.......you're kidding, I'm getting ready for 15 more inches of snow here.  PLENTY of time for airbrushing!!!!
          Addicted to planes!

Comment

Maybe we should rename this season from Winter to Airbrush!!

Yes, it has been unusually warm here, actually rained in January!! last year we were at -22 F.  Looks like it might (please, please!!) be an early Spring!!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

That looks great Gman. Looks like you caught on to that airbrush dang quick!

For once it seems that I am on the better side of the weather than you guys. Its was a balmy 40 F here today with light 3 to 5 mph winds. Highly unusual for this time of year. So I took full advantage of it. My whole day consisted of charging batteries, fly, and repeat. Was able to get my whole fleet up. Needless to say, it was a GREAT day!

Am I rubbing it in to you guys? YES I AM Lol

Jeff

Comment

I was going to take advantage of weather too.  Charging batteries.  checking retracts, something not perfect, so turning plane over in stand......THEN..transmitter bumped off table, throttle stick bumped on....and well, picture shows the results of left hand and prop meeting....trip to hospital..one hour of surgery...
                Attached Files
                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Holy sh*t Lon Hope everything turned out ok.
                  I've been bit too, but not nearly that bad...that looks nasty painful .

A guy can get a heavy dose of respect for those props in a damn hurry

Jeff

Comment

Geez Lon, hope your alright, that really sucks!!
                    I guess we all better learn a lesson right here right now, stay away from the business end of an airplane when she's powered up and keep the transmitter well away from where your working.

Hurry and heal up Lon, we're thinking of you!!

Grossman56 and wife
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Geez Lon, hope your alright, that really sucks!!
                      I guess we all better learn a lesson right here right now, stay away from the business end of an airplane when she's powered up and keep the transmitter well away from where your working.

Hurry and heal up Lon, we're thinking of you!!

Grossman56 and wife
                      Well put! It was a fraction of a second and it was over with. No matter how trivial/easy, the task/action you are about to take. A powered up plane with the prop on it has devastating potential. It would have taken me less than a minute to remove one screw(spinner nose cone) and one nut on the spinner itself, to eliminate the prop hazard. instead, 8 hours at the hospital including one hour in the operating room.
                      Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

HOLY SH*T !!!!!!!! LON Dude I'm at a loss for words .

Good for Capt. Crunch glad someone enjoyed today . Trying to airbrush but not sure .....

Bryan
                        Attached Files
                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Goddamn Lon!

I learned the prop lesson with my knee, but nothing near as serious as that. Rest that hand up!

Comment

LON,
                            Thanx for making me cringe remembering when I got lazy on the 15" drill press and didn't use the press vise. Sorry to see your pain but be glad it wasn't a twin spooled up into ya !! That's not your beer holding hand ?
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Wow Lon,
                              I am really sorry that happened to you. Makes me think of all the times I've done similar things. I once was checking throws on my new Spitfire when I accidentally hit the throttle. Before I could stop it, the plane scooted across the room and tore into the tail of another plane. Foam pieces went everywhere! Fortunately, no one was hurt, but I had to order a new stabilizer for that plane.

Comment

You know, this begs the question.
                                Can you program your receiver so that you can use a switch to cut the motor rather than a button.  I've been looking at the DX8 program for throttle cut and it seems to me that you can.  Have to check in on that.  It would be so handy to be able to hit a switch to eliminate that hazard as well.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                                  LON,
                                  Thanx for making me cringe remembering when I got lazy on the 15" drill press and didn't use the press vise. Sorry to see your pain but be glad it wasn't a twin spooled up into ya !! That's not your beer holding hand ?
                                  Not my beer holding hand OV10!  Phew!!!
                                  Lon

Comment

You know, this begs the question.
                                    Can you program your receiver so that you can use a switch to cut the motor rather than a button.  I've been looking at the DX8 program for throttle cut and it seems to me that you can.  Have to check in on that.  It would be so handy to be able to hit a switch to eliminate that hazard as well.

Grossman56
                                    Yes Gman, 
                                      You can program a switch on your receiver for throttle cut, at least you can on Dx9. I too was nervous about accidentally hitting the throttle when handling my planes. Once while I was bending down to retrieve my plane from the ground with the radio dangling from my neck, my coat caught the throttle and threw it to full and the plane tore off down the road into the ditch. Luckily I wasn't close to the prop.
                                      Not sure how the Dx8 is compared to the 9, but I would think it's the same. I'll have to look but it requires the switch to be programmed for 100% one way and 0% the other. Can't get to my radio right now to be more specific.
                                    Addicted to planes!

Comment

Boy, no one has posted hear in a while. This was before I dedicated a switch on my DX8 to throttle cut. So much safer. I hit the switch and check the throttle. Nothing.
                                      All my planes are rigged with that so I never have an accident if I follow procedure, hit switch try throttle and carry on.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Gman,
                                        The throttle cut is a very good thing.
                                        It's been a year ago this weekend since my accident. I have since purchased the DX6 and programed a switch to be my throttle cut.
                                        1: Remove prop before doing any work.
                                        2: Make sure and remove prop before doing any work.
                                        3: Don't take short cuts and not remove the prop before doing any work.

Lon
                                        Lon

Comment

Working...
                                        X