X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingtip Protection

It has been my experience that most of the damage caused to foamies is from transporting and handling. The wingtips, rudder, and stabalizer are especially prone to breakage, cracking, and deformation. I have tried the spray-on rubber coating that Home Depot sells, but it takes literally 20+ coats to build any protective barrier. I also tried the dip-in kind of rubber coating which builds faster, but can leave a lumpy surface and only comes in black.
    Anyone have an alternate idea on this???
    CT

RE: Wingtip Protection

I just try to be super careful when transporting. On another note,and at first look what i thought this thread was about, on landing the wingtips bottoms gets scratched. All my foamies do this. My fix. Coat the bottoms only the area prone to scratching with 5 minute epoxy. Asphault wont hardly scratch that stuff.
    Two things a pilot can waste, the sky above him and the runway behind him.

Comment

Yes, Beacon adhesive makes a product called "Hobby Coat".  I just started  using it and it is great in providing the protection you want .  http://www.foam-tac.com/.  I have been using the Foam-Tac now for months now and it is also great. Go to the above site and check out their products. :P  Go to this link for a product review
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5lWOaN3Nfk.

Comment

I had never heard of those products. I watched the video and was sold. Went right to their website and bought all three products. It wasn't transport that gets my planes in that I always seem to incur some wing leading edge dings from hitting scrub brush along the edge of the road I fly off. Happens sometimes!
          I used to actually put a piece of clear package tape on the leading edge of the wings, but it doesn't always conform to the curves at the edges. I wonder if I could coat the entire leading edges with foam filler to harden them up?
        Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer
          I had never heard of those products. I watched the video and was sold. Went right to their website and bought all three products. It wasn't transport that gets my planes in that I always seem to incur some wing leading edge dings from hitting scrub brush along the edge of the road I fly off. Happens sometimes!
            I used to actually put a piece of clear package tape on the leading edge of the wings, but it doesn't always conform to the curves at the edges. I wonder if I could coat the entire leading edges with foam filler to harden them up?
          Try using Hobby Coat first.  I use it where I handle my planes and usually leave an indentation because I cannot feel how much pressure I am  putting on the plane.  A couple of brushes of hobby coat in this area, usually solves the problem.  I do this after I have put two coats on the entire plane.  So far, no finger indentations.  I hope this helps.  You could do as you suggested.  Foam filler dries clear and and does not add weight.  The curvature can be easily followed.  Get the sand paper recommended in the video for this type of sanding.  I have some, and it really does the job.

Comment

I just ordered the Filler and the foam tack as well, what a great product, at least from the video.  Where do you get the sand paper?

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
              I just ordered the Filler and the foam tack as well, what a great product, at least from the video.  Where do you get the sand paper?

Grossman56
              Amazon has it in stock.  It is not cheap for sand paper; however, it is well worth the money.  I used some on my B-25 wing and the wing looks great after using the filler, sanding and coating.  I just ordered more coating and their latest product.  I will let you know this one works out.  Okay!

Comment

I just received my order from Beacon Adhesives. I have used the Foam Tac for a while and it's great. Now I have the Hobby Coat and Foam Finish. The Hobby Coat is pretty glossy when dry but looks really nice. The Foam Finish does a great job filling in the cracks and holes. It dries clear and is really durable. RC Informer has a video on his youtube about using all three.

Comment

Originally posted by libsam
                  I just received my order from Beacon Adhesives.  I have used the Foam Tac for a while and it's great.  Now I have the Hobby Coat and Foam Finish.  The Hobby Coat is pretty glossy when dry but looks really nice.  The Foam Finish does a great job filling in the cracks and holes.  It dries clear and is really durable.  RC Informer has a video on his youtube about using all three.
                  I am pleased you like the products.  I am using hobby coat now to fill some cracks on a new wing I purchased.  Most foam wings have some cracks that need filling in some where.  Filling in the cracks really makes the wing look much better.  Pass the word on to others that may be looking for some great products.  Happy flying.

Comment

Working...
                  X