Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 for 1 Landings

Greetings fellow flyers,

I have the 1400mm P51 Mustang which is a 6 channel air craft. I run the spectrum DX6I radio which is a 6 channel radio. On my shelf was a Hobby Eagle AL-3 gyro and I wanted to put it in my P51. But I cant because I need a 7th channel to make the gyro work, right? WRONG!  Check this out!

My P51 is plenty stable in flight do the large wing span. Any plane of this size is plenty stable in flight. But taking off and landing can be very scary at times. Where I really could use the extra stability is in theses areas. So I hooked up the Hobby Eagle gyro in my P51, and used a Y harness connecting the gyro in sink with the flaps. Flaps on, Gyro on. Flaps off, gyro off. On takes offs  I just simply deploy the flaps turning the gyro on. Once I'm air born, Just retract the flaps and this turns the gyro off. Dont need flaps or gyro when flying. So when its time to land, deploy the flaps and TA DA, gyro is turned back on. I'm just splitting the flap channel with a Y harness so the flap switch does 2 functions at the same time instead of just one. There is 2 other things to note. Gyro will NOT turn on if below 51% on your flap deploy settings, and you will need a servo reverser inline to get the gyro to work in regular mode, other wise the gyro will turn on in 3D mode when you plug in the main batt, and gyro will turn off when flaps are deployed. Happy Take offs and Landings from the Pacific NW.  :cool: 
    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

RE: 2 for 1 Landings

Clever! Doc

Comment

Originally posted by FLY BOY
      Greetings fellow flyers,

I have the 1400mm P51 Mustang which is a 6 channel air craft. I run the spectrum DX6I radio which is a 6 channel radio. On my shelf was a Hobby Eagle AL-3 gyro and I wanted to put it in my P51. But I cant because I need a 7th channel to make the gyro work, right? WRONG!  Check this out!

My P51 is plenty stable in flight do the large wing span. Any plane of this size is plenty stable in flight. But taking off and landing can be very scary at times. Where I really could use the extra stability is in theses areas. So I hooked up the Hobby Eagle gyro in my P51, and used a Y harness connecting the gyro in sink with the flaps. Flaps on, Gyro on. Flaps off, gyro off. On takes offs  I just simply deploy the flaps turning the gyro on. Once I'm air born, Just retract the flaps and this turns the gyro off. Dont need flaps or gyro when flying. So when its time to land, deploy the flaps and TA DA, gyro is turned back on. I'm just splitting the flap channel with a Y harness so the flap switch does 2 functions at the same time instead of just one. There is 2 other things to note. Gyro will NOT turn on if below 51% on your flap deploy settings, and you will need a servo reverser inline to get the gyro to work in regular mode, other wise the gyro will turn on in 3D mode when you plug in the main batt, and gyro will turn off when flaps are deployed. Happy Take offs and Landings from the Pacific NW.  :cool: 
      Cool idea! I have a plane that would work very nicely on. Thanks!
      Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by FLY BOY
        Greetings fellow flyers,

Clever, but I have my E-flite P47(the one in my avatar) set up so that the gyro is turned ON at flaps up and the 1st position of flaps down and OFF at the 2nd (full) position. This is a much smaller plane so more beneficial for gyro on during normal flight. The reason I programmed the gyro off at full flaps was, it was preventing me from being able to flare properly when landing.  Just mentioned this FYI only, not saying you are wrong in any way.

Steve
        AMA 95495
        Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
        Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Thats way cool Steve,

Its all about personal preference for the type of plane your flying. A DX6I though (FYI) has only a 2 position flap switch. So its either on or off on the Gyro. I can program my flap switch to perform 3 functions for the flaps, Off, full, and half flaps, but around 55% or less, when I deploy the flaps, the Gyro wont turn on because its not being supplied enough power at half flap. Plus I like to keep things simple. At full flaps my P51 comes in with a nose low attitude, at 80% she floats nicely and no elevator mixing is required. Happy Landings  :cool:
          Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Comment

Good thinking Steve, I batted that around with my DX6i, finally sprung for a Dx8, wish I'd have thought of that!!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
            X