Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callie Graphics application help!

Hey guys and gals,
      I just got some Callie Graphics custom decals for my Dynam Tiger Moth and I need a little advice/guidance. I have never put these on before, or any vinyl decals for that matter.  As I'm sure you already know if you have purchased them from Callie, they came tightly rolled up in a cardboard shipping tube.  Well, as I unrolled them the thin, transparent paper over the front of the decals was puckered off in numerous places.  If you try to lay the decal flat it just makes it worse. I tried to lightly press it back down but it leaves creases or bumps in the paper.
      I have watched various videos on You Tube on how to apply decals but none seem to be the type Callie has.  It appears that the puckered, thinner, semi-transparent paper on over the front side (able to read the decals side)  stays on until you remove the heavy, white, non-transparent paper from the backside of the decals?  It seems that this thinner, now lumpy in places, paper is what you rub on to apply the decals and then gently lift it off, leaving just the decal?  Is that correct?  The backside of that thinner paper is sticky too so I hope it doesn't rip off my new paint on the plane when I pull it off the decals.
      It say's on a piece of paper that came with the decals that I can spray a water/detergent mixture on the plane and then place them and I can move them around.  I have some BIG, and LONG striped decals so that might be the way I have to go. 
      Also, how do you get the decals to conform around curves and stuff with the paper backing still on.  I realize that as you peel it off the decals they will flexible, but I would want them in their final resting place first.

Just asking.  Thanks for any tips.  Appreciate it.

Keith
    Addicted to planes!

RE: Callie Graphics application help!

Originally posted by  retiredflyer pid='8196' dateline='1427224719'
    Hey guys and gals,
      I just got some Callie Graphics custom decals for my Dynam Tiger Moth and I need a little advice/guidance. I have never put these on before, or any vinyl decals for that matter.  As I'm sure you already know if you have purchased them from Callie, they came tightly rolled up in a cardboard shipping tube.  Well, as I unrolled them the thin, transparent paper over the front of the decals was puckered off in numerous places.  If you try to lay the decal flat it just makes it worse. I tried to lightly press it back down but it leaves creases or bumps in the paper.
      I have watched various videos on You Tube on how to apply decals but none seem to be the type Callie has.  It appears that the puckered, thinner, semi-transparent paper on over the front side (able to read the decals side)  stays on until you remove the heavy, white, non-transparent paper from the backside of the decals?  It seems that this thinner, now lumpy in places, paper is what you rub on to apply the decals and then gently lift it off, leaving just the decal?  Is that correct?  The backside of that thinner paper is sticky too so I hope it doesn't rip off my new paint on the plane when I pull it off the decals.
      It say's on a piece of paper that came with the decals that I can spray a water/detergent mixture on the plane and then place them and I can move them around.  I have some BIG, and LONG striped decals so that might be the way I have to go. 
      Also, how do you get the decals to conform around curves and stuff with the paper backing still on.  I realize that as you peel it off the decals they will flexible, but I would want them in their final resting place first.

Just asking.  Thanks for any tips.  Appreciate it.

Keith
    Keith,
    I've had experience with one set of Callie decals.  My P-51 Passion Wagon is all from Callie.
    First of all, your right on how you think the decals will be applied. You peel off the heavy paper on the backside, then position and press the decals into position with that thin sticky still attached to the decals.

I first cut out around the specific decal I was going to apply, leaving about a 1/4 inch border around the decal. Of course, I have a visual of where exactly I want it positioned, and carefully put/place it into it's place. NOTE: I had GREAT concern about the thin clear film sticking to and pulling my new paint job off. DID NOT HAPPEN!
    When you position the decal, and apply it, make sure you don't just start rubbing the decal anywhere.  Have a plan (start in the middle and SLOWLY work towards the outside/end of the particular decal, specially the large surface decals, like the stars on the wings and fuse. This is so you look for, and avoid pressing on wrinkles/bubbles, pulling up the decal some if you happen to have this issue. When you see, no wrinkles, happy with its position, start pressing on the decal, but as much as possible, avoid pressing the clear film that you are going to be peeling away shortly. You will find the decal will form very good to panel lines.  I used a cotton tip cuetip in those areas, getting them to form/stick down in the panel lines.
    NOW....decal in place, you've pressed firmly on the decal....time to peel the clear film off.  SLOWLY start at one corner of the film, and pull the film as much as possible, parallel to the surface, do not pull up and away! As the film gets to the decal, be ready and not surprised, if the decal sometimes starts to pull away from surface....have a cue-tip or something soft to poke and hold the decal back into position on the surface...then continue slowly peeling. This will not happen all the time....Just be ready! 
    Take your time, you'll love the results.
    As far as the the water/soap spraying on.  If you decide to do that(I didn't on my plane, but have used that good trick when applying graphics on cars/trucks, put a couple drops of Dawn dish soap into a spray bottle half full) I couldn't bring myself to spray my foamy plane with a complete new paint job.....
    Take your time, and you won't have problems without using water/detergent spray

Clear as mud now????:)

Lon 
    Attached Files
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Thanks so much Lon. It is nice to get someone's hints and tips who has done this before. I was just concerned about that sticky paper pulling off my new paint job. Glad you did not have that issue. I will be starting the decals in a few days so thank you for your input.
        I like your q-tip method too for forming the decal to the shape of the plane. I will most certainty use that method.

Keith
      Addicted to planes!

Comment

Thanks from me as well Lon!
        I have Callie graphics coming for my Iron Ass soon to be Old Crow P 51 and would have wondered the same thing. 
        Sounds like we both avoided a sticky situation!
        Thanks again

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Hey, Lon was right, they are pretty simple to put on, peel the back line it up and rub, then peel the front off slowly, you can realign them, just don't pull the front paper off until they're where you want them.  After you've done the nose on a Mustang, the rest looks pretty simple!!!
          Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
          X