X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique wooden props

I have figured out a way to make plastic props look like wood. First put your prop on a 1/4" (or appropriate size) dowel rod. Then spray paint it with Krylon Bauhhaus Gold paint. Let it dry well. Then, draw lines on it with a brown Sharpy marker. Then, put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and rub the prop, lightly, from the center to the tip until you get the wood grain the way you would like. It works great! If you want Brass tip protectors, use a Sharpy bronze or gold marker to put those on. You can make the rivets on this by just touching the tip of the marker along the edge of the tip protector. HAVE FUN! The Doctor

RE: Antique wooden props

it didn't happen without pictures........ Please :-p

Comment

Sounds like a neat trick Doc.  Again, I would love to try this on my WACO's plastic prop, I have a 2nd one so I will try it out.  I bought a wooden one for my Tiger Moth, but I will try it on the two plastic ones that came with the plane.

Once again....one of those ideas floating around your head at 2AM, right?   LOL!!!

Keith
      Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer
        Sounds like a neat trick Doc.  Again, I would love to try this on my WACO's plastic prop, I have a 2nd one so I will try it out.  I bought a wooden one for my Tiger Moth, but I will try it on the two plastic ones that came with the plane.

Once again....one of those ideas floating around your head at 2AM, right?   LOL!!!

Keith
         Yes, as a matter of fact... 2:00 AM. You'll be surprised at how well this works. You can completely control the grain, heavy, light, wavy, whatever! If you don't like what you've done... just wipe it off with alcohol. Boy, what fun!!! Doc

Comment

Way cool Doc, I have a couple of spare Waco props I haven't totaled yet, I'll have to try that, Thanks!

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Man!!! wouldn't it be cool if we could get together and play!!!! Doc

Comment

Just a thought, does the paint or anything here change any of the balance on the prop?
              Still Learning:D

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly
                Just a thought, does the paint or anything here change any of the balance on the prop?
                Yes, of course it does. I often use paint on prop tips to do fine balancing. You have to make sure the amount of paint is controlled, to maintain balance, or adjust balance correctly.

Comment

I always balance before painting because I want the vinyl balancing tape to be painted. I then check the balance after painting. My props very rarely need rebalancing. Doc

Comment

Working...
                  X