X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch tubing(silicone)??where????

I see the pics of homemade launchers using silicone tubing.  Can anyone tell me what size and where to buy it?  All I can see from photos is that it is reddish in color and looks to be about 1/4 inch.??Where can it be bought for a fair price.?  Thanx to anyone who responds

RE: Launch tubing(silicone)??where????

Originally posted by trying2fly
    I see the pics of homemade launchers using silicone tubing.  Can anyone tell me what size and where to buy it?  All I can see from photos is that it is reddish in color and looks to be about 1/4 inch.??Where can it be bought for a fair price.?  Thanx to anyone who responds
    Do a google search on "hi start"

Steve
    AMA 95495
    Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
    Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

here you go, we use this stuff for giant water balloon launchers, wrist rockets, potato launchers, muscle rehab/ working out, lota stuff probably would be perfect for launching a plane as well. (careful when using it as a water balloon launcher; ever seen a water balloon knock someone out? this will do it!)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R9.TR 12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsurgical+.TRS0&_nkw=surgical+tubing &_sacat=0

here is some red stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Fishing-Latex-3-8-Surgical-Tubing-Lure-Making-Cuda-Tube-Eel-Neon-Orange-Red-/291439638855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43db27 f947
      Flight Risk (Sean)
      AMA # 986105

Comment

Originally posted by STOOPIDMONKEY
        here you go, we use this stuff for giant water balloon launchers, wrist rockets, potato launchers, muscle rehab/ working out, lota stuff probably would be perfect for launching a plane as well. (careful when using it as a water balloon launcher; ever seen a water balloon knock someone out? this will do it!)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R9.TR 12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsurgical+.TRS0&_nkw=surgical+tubing &_sacat=0

here is some red stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Fishing-Latex-3-8-Surgical-Tubing-Lure-Making-Cuda-Tube-Eel-Neon-Orange-Red-/291439638855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43db27 f947
        You are tops....thank you very much!

Comment

Just buy a high start! Silicone does not have the retraction strength of rubber tubeing. However, it will not oxidize as quickly. The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
            Just buy a high start! Silicone does not have the retraction strength of rubber tubeing. However, it will not oxidize as quickly. The Doctor
            That's exactly right and why I suggested a search on google.  Then there's extruded or mandrel dipped. Extruded has about a 3:1 elongation rating and mandrel has about a 5:1.  Can't really suggest which one without knowing the exact useage intended though. For launching a Zagi (flying wing) or a ducted fan you want a strong quick pull but for launching a glider you want more stretch and a gradual release of tension.

Steve
            AMA 95495
            Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
            Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer
              That's exactly right and why I suggested a search on google.  Then there's extruded or mandrel dipped. Extruded has about a 3:1 elongation rating and mandrel has about a 5:1.  Can't really suggest which one without knowing the exact useage intended though.  For launching a Zagi (flying wing) or a ducted fan you want a strong quick pull but for launching a glider you want more stretch and a gradual release of tension.

Steve
              Thanx so much...although silicone tubing made by "addition" technqiues using a coupling of platinum catalysts and vinyl-functional siloxane polymer with an ethyl bridge may seem an easy choice , I readily see it is far more complex than I imagined. Thank goodness for guys like you out there to help beginners like me to make a reasonably educated choice!!

Comment

What are you... some kind of a chemist? :D  Doc

Comment

What are you... some kind of a chemist? :D  Doc
                  Yes.......but you are far more knowledgeable  than I could ever be on our hobby.  I am a beginner and am trying not to humiliate myself by asking such foolish questions as I do on this forum. ha :s :)

Comment

Working...
                  X