Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1450MM P-51 Mustang

I purchased the FMS 1450 Marie V7
    I really have been enjoying this plane although it felt a little underpowered for vertical climbs.
    I recently discovered a youtube where the guy added pieces of ziptie under the leading edges of each propeller blade. I tried this modification using a ziptie that was about 1.6mm thick and narrow enough that I was still able to get the screws back through with out the ziptie sticking out from under the blade.
    I can tell you that now I get almost unlimited vertical and the airspeed has increased by more than a few miles per hour. I am really happy about this mod and believe FMS should investigate some variation in their 14" propeller pitch. the stock is 14x8, I'm not sure how high it is now with the "shims", 14x9? 14x9.5? 14x10?........... What ever it is though, IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FMS 1450 P-51
    Stock 4250-540kv motor
    Stock 14x8-4 blade prop (modded)
    (4s) 14.8v 3000mah 30-40C Lipo

Before Prop Mod, Watt Meter showed 50A 720W with 4s 30-40C
    After Prop Mod, watt Meter showed 56A 820W with 4s 30-40C

Another Mod I made to this plane was to get a different sequencer and a servo reverser from hobbyking, each was about $4 and now my gear doors close after the gear is down so I won't have to worry about them dragging in the tall grass where I land.

Re: 1450MM P-51 Mustang

Very cool! Can you post a link to the sequencer? Sandancer is the pioneer of the zip tie mod.

Comment

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__30983__Turnigy_Smart_Retractable_Landing_Gear_Ge ar_and_Door_Sequencer.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34113__Turnigy_Servo_Signal_Reverser_USA_Warehou se_.html

The servos that are on the FMS landing gear doors are reverse servos, so the signal reverser will adjust for this, since one of my servos went out and they didn't have reverse servos in stock, I ordered a set of standard servos, I was able to get rid of the reverser and everything is working just fine.
      One thing to remember with this sequencer though, is that when the battery is first connected, the gear doors will cycle, so keep this in mind when making the battery connection so you save yourself from breaking the clevis on your doors. I had to learn the hard way, with my plane sitting on it's belly, connected the battery and since the doors could not open, the clevis popped their pins =(

Comment

Could you post a photos of the prop mod.
        Thanks

Comment

Here is a link to the mod someone forwarded to me once.

Best of Luck! =)

"http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897029"

Comment

The "zip tie mod" by Sandancer is indeed a very simple and effective mod. Be sure to measure your amperage with a wattmeter after the mod, though...your amps WILL go up, so ensure your batteries are up to snuff, and adjust your flight times accordingly if necessary.

Comment

I bought the Microgear sequencer .I can set the speed on both the gears and doors going up and down.Makes it more realistic.Here's the link if you'd like to take a look at it.A little pricey but works great ....http://oregonscaleaviation.com/Resources/Products/MicroGear.html

Comment

I have the Microgear Ultra sequencer installed in my P-51b Works very well.

John

Comment

I upgraded my landing gear with these I found at HK,
                  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...161mm_2pc.html

I had to purchase an over sized set in order to use the large 76mm wheels that are on the 1450mm P-51,
                  I cut off about 34mm then reworked the tubes so they would still have suspension.

I've been very happy with their performance although it took a bit more work than I expected, to get them to fit.

Attached Files

Comment

I have purchased the V3 corsair.
                    Do you know if this mod would work on this prop?

Thanks

Ron

Comment

I see that the prop blades are individual on that model, I haven't had that model yet so I can't say for sure but if it works for you, I'm sure we would all like to know =)

Comment

Just an update on the landing gear upgrade I had made, I have at least a dozen flights on them now, and some of the landing have not been so impressive, yet the landing gear have been tough as nails!!!!

Comment

No they will not work as the spinner will not support.

Comment

I have "Marie" on the way as we speak. Have heard of this ziptie/prop mod in the RCG forums and have talked with an expert briefly. It is not at all what I expected, and looks interesting.

If the stock esc can handle it and the wattmeter says its ok, I will probably try this after I'm comfortably with flying it stock.

BTW...how are you guys with Marie on Orientation? The actual Marie had a red nose...I'm thinking it might be better to copy the original. so its not so symmetrical in flight...?

Comment

I gave mine a custom paint job before assembly, have had no issues on orientation although I have had some issues with the bumpy field I fly, I was finding that a less than perfect landing was tweaking my landing gear, but as I got my landings down, I began doing "scale" takeoffs and found that the gear was getting "tweaked" by hitting bumps with too much ground speed before take off. I upgraded my landing gear and haven't had a problem with it since, but had a crash that since then my plane doesn't fly right, I am getting a severe right roll when giving "up" elevator, haven't figured what is causing it yet, but haven't had the time to work on it. it's not the design of the plane though, as it was flying beautifully before I crashed it.
                              I'd say just do the prop mod after your first day flying, you'll be both impressed by it and happy that you did it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi, could you explain how to remove the original struts from the retract in order to replace them ... Looks like 2 small Allen screws to be removed, but the strut does not want to come out, I don't want to damage anything ... Do I just have to pull harder??? Thanking you in advance!

Comment

Sounds like you got the right idea. I'm not sure if you are trying to replace the whole strut pin and strut from the trunnions or just remove the strut from the strut pin leaving the pin in the trunnions. In either case two set/grub screws are what you'll need to loosen. If your original strut pin is that hard to remove I might leave it and just remove the strut, sure you will have to remove the pin from your replacement but if you do it that way you can fix your retracts without removing the whole unit from the wing to gain access to the set screws that run through the trunnions to the pin.
                                  Ryan

Comment

Content-Type: text/plain;
                                    charset=us-ascii

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the fast response ... I removed the 2 screws that I think you ar=
                                    e talking about, but when trying to pull it out, it did not seem to out to =
                                    come out, maybe just have to pull a little harder... Should the strut just =
                                    fall out?? I'm picking up the new one tomorrow, maybe it will be clearer on=
                                    ce I see that one. Thanks again!

F. Mensing
                                    Sent from my iPad

On Aug 7, 2014, at 6:34 PM, "Ryan@Motion/ryramZ [via Motion RC Community Fo=
                                    rum]" <ml-node+s1075610n3081h23@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Sounds like you got the right idea. I'm not sure if you are trying to rep=
                                    lace the whole strut pin and strut from the trunnions or just remove the st=
                                    rut from the strut pin leaving the pin in the trunnions. In either case two=
                                    set/grub screws are what you'll need to loosen. If your original strut pin=
                                    is that hard to remove I might leave it and just remove the strut, sure yo=
                                    u will have to remove the pin from your replacement but if you do it that w=
                                    ay you can fix your retracts without removing the whole unit from the wing =
                                    to gain access to the set screws that run through the trunnions to the pin.=
                                    =20
                                    > Ryan=20
                                    >=20
                                    > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion =
                                    below:
                                    > http://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1450MM-P-51-Mustan=
                                    g-tp415p3081.html
                                    > To unsubscribe from 1450MM P-51 Mustang, click here.
                                    > NAML

Comment

Hey Partner , could you give any photos or details on mod , love the look

Comment

I don't really know how to give a step by step instruction on how I did it, but I measured the size wheel I wanted to use, and the length of the strut, then ordered from what options were available at the time.
                                        I had to remove about 34mm from the new strut so that the wheels would sit in the original gear wells.
                                        Once I decided on the end to remove, I cut them down then had to make a new groove for the set screw to travel in so that the gear would once again have the spring suspension.
                                        I used a Dremel tool, and a drill press as a lathe while I held a file against a 2x4 to keep it somewhat square.
                                        I wish you the best of luck, I've had no landing gear problems with this set up since.

Comment

Working...
                                        X