X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome props

Some planes need chrome props to finish the scale appearance, I use Valspar metallic spray paint. I first sand the prop with 800 grit wet/dry paper. Wipe off the dust. I then balance it using white electric tape. I then clean it with alcohol. I put the prop on a tapered 1/4" dowel rod to hold it while painting and to hold the prop up while drying. Spray on 2 light coats, then a finish coat. I have tried other brands of paint, but none come close to the chome like finish I get with Valspar. Have fun! Doc

RE: Chrome props

Originally posted by doctormike
     Some planes need chrome props to finish the scale appearance, I use Valspar metallic spray paint. I first sand the prop with 800 grit wet/dry paper. Wipe off the dust. I then balance it using white electric tape. I then clean it with alcohol. I put the prop on a tapered 1/4" dowel rod to hold it while painting and to hold the prop up while drying. Spray on 2 light coats, then a finish coat. I have tried other brands of paint, but none come close to the chome like finish I get with Valspar. Have fun! Doc
    OK Doc, I'll bite the hook. Picture, purdy please :angel:

Steve
    AMA 95495
    Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
    Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer
      Originally posted by doctormike
      OK Doc, I'll bite the hook. Picture, purdy please  :angel:

Steve
      I wanna see too... :-) 
      Lauren

Comment

I'm tricking out my Dynam GeeBee Y. It has a "chrome" prop. I'll send pictures when it's finished. Doc

Comment

Deal!
          Lauren

Comment

Well, "chrome" might be a wee bit of a stretch with the Valspar paint. More like polished aluminum. Rustoleum gives a much more Chrome like finish, however, I had trouble with resistance spots no matter how well I cleaned and sanded the prop. A VERY light coat, first, helps the problem, however, it has to dry 3 days before recoating. I went back to Home Depot to buy another can of it and it had been taken off the shelf! They actually acted as if they never had it in stock! I'm settling for the aluminum finish. Doc

Comment

3 days drying! Wow!
              Lauren

Comment

Thin residual films of silicon, sometimes left on plastic parts as a result of the molding process, may be removed by cleaning with a small amount of rubbing alcohol or washing detergent and water. If a detergent and water wash is used, the part should be water rinsed and dried completely. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna experiment on a broken prop and see if I can give it a metallic realistic look. I'm new to the hobby and would love to have my planes with a more scale look with the props looking more realistic. Thanks Doc
                  Still Learning:D

Comment

Good luck, Pauly. Just follow my instructions at the first of this thread. It works great! Doc

Comment

Model Master Metalizer paints work well for a buffed surface. Alcad as well, although it is tough to apply durably onto these flexible props. Chris Wolfe recently used chrome monokote to great effect. Scroll down near the bottom.

http://thercgeek.com/2015/09/how-to-refinish-a-foam-warbird-ep3-fms-rc-p-51/
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                        Model Master Metalizer paints work well for a buffed surface. Alcad as well, although it is tough to apply durably onto these flexible props. Chris Wolfe recently used chrome monokote to great effect. Scroll down near the bottom.

http://thercgeek.com/2015/09/how-to-refinish-a-foam-warbird-ep3-fms-rc-p-51/
                        I have had great success using chrome monocote/ Orocal  1mil material. I cover the front face of the prop, trim close with an exacto knife, and final sand the  leading and trailing edge to remove the rest. then final balance. I have not had one fail yet, and the look of a chrome prop reflecting the sun is pretty sweet.
                        Chris

Comment

The chrome monokote really does stand out nicely!
                          Attached Files
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

RC Geek really did a great job on that FMS Mustang, great build videos

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

I've got to try the Monocote or, maybe Ultracote. I wonder how Flite Metal would work? Doc

Comment

Working...
                              X