X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminating Covering on Foam

I recently seen a video on using a 1.7 mil laminated covering on a foam airplane. Seeing how all three of my planes are foam and it does make sense on it strengthen them I thought I would ask some of you guys what you think or your advice on doing this. It seems pretty simple and yes it is a clear color laminate so it want change the appearance of your aircraft. What do you good folks think about doing this or have any of you ever done this?
    Still Learning:D

RE: Laminating Covering on Foam

Do you have a link to the process?

All the best,
    konrad

Comment

I've seen vinyl wrapping used on foam aircraft, most memorably on Windrider foam jetliners like the 777. I've never done it myself with much success, though. Certainly someone else here has tried this process?
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Not quite the same... but I've essentially wrapped a plane in clear packing tape. It did stiffen the plane considerably but it also added weight.

Depends on what grade of covering you are applying as to how much it will stiffen the airplane and how much weight is added.

I've found it more useful to selectively cover the parts most vulnerable to dings, especially the belly of planes that do belly landings and wingtips that tend to scrape the runway.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Here's the link to the video I saw Konrad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOqkUmWkrmI It pretty much looks like the same process as a kit built plane. I was wondering if some of you have done this. The guy has another video that he does a repair on a wing and it was much easier to repair and probably would of never been able to do as good if he didn't already have it covered with the laminate.
          Still Learning:D

Comment

I'd say the benefits are a wash. He skins the foam but in the process uses an iron that causes the foam to expand, leaving that horrible gator skin look.

Comment

On strength I don't see too much benefit. It will add a lot in tension but little in compression. Unfortunately foam tends to fail in compression (crease lines). As to looks Doculam is a high heat film and will damage most foam EPO into the gator skin mentioned by Davy. If that is not the look you are aiming for then the results might be unsatisfactory. On EPS foam the heat will destroy the foam, melt it.

There are model film that are low heat Oracover and Econokote come to mind. These often work great and come in colors. But like the old days of wooden frames it will take a bit of time developing the skills to cover a model in film. Kind of goes against the concept of a foam model in the first place. But it is your time, and most skills are great to have as you advance in this hobby.

All the best,
              Konrad

Comment

I like all of us am constantly on the look out for the holy grail, that is some kind of paint or covering which protects foam against abrasion, scratches, and normal wear. Using polycrylic is good, but does not protect against scratches, ect. I have been laminating my birds with Oracal #651 1mil and 2mil thick film. The non-mtallicized film is flexible vinyl, which once you get the hang of installing with heat, provides an excellent surface even on complex curves and come in 30+ colors which is good when you are changing colors/graphics on your bird. If looking for protection over stock livery, I am using the 651 Transparent film, 2 or 3 mil. Even though it is advertised as transparent, the adhesive backed film will be slightly noticeable over certain colors, mainly dark tones, but is excellent on white. If you have ever tried to salvage parts off a vinyl covered plane, will will know that these films offer a great measure of rigitidy and stiffness to the fuse, wings, ect.,. which often greatly minimizes structural damage from " incidents". I also use the clear over water slide or other less superior decals to protect for its lifetime. The clear 651 only comes in gloss so there is a limit on which planes one would want to cover.
                This method will protect and prolong the life and keep the bird in that perfect new condition. I use US Cutter for all my Oracal products.

Comment

Working...
                X