X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint codes,Feel free to add

A long overdue thread, anyone with paint codes of particular types of paint that best matched your airplane, please share.

When I was converting Iron Ass to Old Crow, I used
    Delta Creative Ceramcoat Metallic Silver which matches the stock silver and
    Sargent Art Metallic Acrylic Paint for a slight variation in color, its slightly darker and worked great for a stainless steel-like color for behind the exhaust stacks
    For the antiglare shield I used Clark+Kensingtion satin enamel Paint+Primer in one Neutral tint base, color sample size, the mix on the sticker reads
    B    253
    C    15
    KX  169
    TT  236  

For the P51B, I wasn't going for an exact color match, but a 'well used' look and I found these colors to be pretty good.
    Clark+Kensington Premium interior satin enamel Neutral tint base, color sample size for the top, green color

AXXN  297
    B        155
    KX      175
    MM     144

CAUTION!!!!  This color is not an exact match as when the airplane piece is scanned, it reads black.  I used this as a starting point and LIGHTLY coated many layers onto the plane.  I also mixed some white into it and sprayed on a light layer, and another layer with a bit of yellow.
    I started off by spraying along the lines of the body panels with black, This was my first effort and I went heavier with the black than I had to.  No big deal, its just faster if you go a little light on the black.
    The undersides are grey that I got from using Sherwin Williams ProClassic interior Acrylic Latex Extra white Satin (#6502-68600)30.7 FL OZ
     again, this is not an exact match, but I used it as a starting base and mixed in varying amounts of black and white.
    7664 Steely Gray
    Sher-Color Formula
    CCExCOLORANT    OZ  32  64  128
    B1-Black                 -   41   -    -
    R2 Maroon              -   1     -    1
    Y3-Deep Gold          - 9       -    -

Hope this helps out.  When I touched up the P40, I did it by eyeball, using the small tubes of paint from Wally World. Next time I mix it, I'll keep track of what I used.

Hope this helps out

Grossman56  
    Team Gross!

Great idea for a thread, Grossman! I'll have to dig into my records to find the paint codes I've used over the years.

Off the top of my head, I've found that Tamiya's "Chrome Silver", Code X11, works well for many of Freewing's silver planes, like the Old Crow, Iron Ass, and F-86 Sabre.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Nice idea, this will came in handy.

Mike
      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Making separate thread topics under the "Airbrush Tips, Techniques and Tricks" category for individual plane paint codes is the surest manner to make searches easier. I 've already added one for the Dynam ME-262 and one for the FlightLine Sea Fury.

Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
        X