X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing and Replacing Factory Decal?

I have an FMS P-40 1.4 in good shape but for the shark mouth decal which has several small splits/tears. I'd like to replace it with a new factory decal. I could use the ice cube or another method to remove the old decal and spackle/paint any damaged foam, but wondering if I could just clear coat the old and apply the new decal directly over it?

Anyone try this and did it work?

Comment

Is the decal waterslide or dry transfer?

Comment

I don't really know. I emailed Horizon and FMS but no answer yet.

Comment

Beeg,

FMS emailed back. All decals are dry transfer EXCEPT the shark mouth which is waterslide

Comment

You can sort of repair a waterslide decal if parts are not missing. There are commercial decal solvents and setting solutions that will super hydrate the film and it will lay back down. You can try a white vinager as a setting solution. Just wet the decal with it and keep it wet till you see it softening. But this method may depend on the decal film used. If you don't want to go through that and just want to replace it you can either lightly sand the old one away, or most of it till smooth and lay the new one over the top. You may just be able to peel away the loose bits. After it's smooth, and you need to, you can touch up the paint where the decal goes before applying the new one.
            Or, try 90+% isopropyl alchohol which won't attack the EPO foam but will remove paint. I'm assuming FMS planes are EPO.. You can also use acetone sparingly but both 90+ Alcohol and Acetone will remove the paint off of an EPO model so be careful where you apply it. Acetone will also soften the foam if applied too liberally but after a time it will evaporate and the foam will harden up again. I've used both to remove paint jobs for repainting with good success on Flightline and Freewing models.

Anyway, without seeing what you have to deal with these are my suggestions. Hope it works out and looks great!

Comment

Thanks Beeg. There are some missing parts. I'll try lightly sanding.

Comment

Working...
              X