X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luminous fluorescent paint on a rc plane for better visibility

I plan to color warbirds a bit on the nose , the tail and the wing edges. I want to use luminous fluorescent orange-red color spray. I also will use scotch tape to protect the untouched parts.

Any hint which color spray I could use? Do I need several layers ( first white, then orange ) ?

I want to keep it as simple as possible.

I've used the fluorescent spray paint before. The most visible is the orange or pink. I stopped using paint in favor of the fluorescent bright pink peel and stick decal sheets. However, I should mention that no matter how bright or fluorescent the color is, once the plane gets to about 300 to 400 feet away, those bright colors fade to grey and quickly becomes indistinguishable from the other colors on the plane. It all becomes a sort of grey/black moving object.
    Using just a "bit" or using it along edges doesn't help with visibility. Small areas or edge highlighting disappears even sooner than large areas coated with bright colors.

Comment

Dear Xviper,

thanks for your reply, but I already use orange scotch tape on my smaller park flyers, and visibility is really better.

Now I want to use color, instead of orange scotch tape.
      If you color it, it will look much better.

The visibility is also dependent on the weather. We have it here most days cloudy and orange color shows up well.

Comment

If you fly under conditions where bright colors work for you, then by all means, do it. Two coats of spray paint worked best for me. I fly some fairly fast planes that can get quite far away quickly and I find it's better to just keep good watch on it as the colors fade away.

Comment

Back in my early model rocket days the discussion came up as what color was the easiest to see in the sky. After a bit of research from the crowd we found the best overall "color" was white. Second was yellow. I don't know where fluorescent colors fall in but a lot of us painted our rockets with them.
          This is one reason nearly all civilian aircraft have a base color of white with colored stripes. And then there has always been the iconic "Cub" Yellow. There are plenty of exceptions but most are white for visibility in "most" conditions. From the ground though, in my experience flying large scale sailplanes that are all white can disappear against a bright blue sky if they are directly overhead and most of the white is in shadow.

Comment

We have it here most days cloudy, and the overall background colors from white to gray.
            Therefor in our region “orange-red” is really best.

But my question was more, which color spray you use?
            There are tons of products. Which one is best for foam ?

Comment

Working...
            X