X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Tac Adhesive question....

I just got my first bottle of Foam Tac, and was curious of something..
    I just bought another Freewing F9F Panther and want to try Foam Tac on it since I've read a lot of great things about it.
    I bought the landing gear set for my Panther this time and was wondering how this would work for gluing the plastic landing gear bases into the foam sockets?
    I've read it was great on a lot of material but didn't see anything about it being used with plastics...
    I thought about taking sandpaper and roughing up the smoothness of the plastic to give the glue something more to bite into.
    I'm pretty sure it will work but want to get some yays or nays before I have a gear fall out on landing....
    I've always used epoxy when doing this before and have never had any gear fall out, but want to see how Foam Tac compares...
    Thanks guy's...
    Jody

Jody,

I have used Beacon 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue (almost exactly the same as Foam Tac) to glue the landing gears of my Freewing F-5 into the wing. No issues whatsoever.

In fact, I just used it tonight to glue the wing halves together on my Sonic B-17 (like the one in your avatar ;)). Love this stuff!
    Pat

Comment

I've got some and have only had to use a small amount and have found good use of it. I have only heard good of it. I wish I could be better help for you.
      Still Learning:D

Comment

Roughing up the plastic will definitely help with the adhesion of the glued surfaces and I have used it on plastic and wood with excellent results. I have spoken to Beacon adhesives personally about their products and was responsible for bringing this line of product to MotionRC. Just to let you know they make MilSpec Epoxy for the US Military and are the only authorized supplier for them so their products are manufactured here in the U.S. and it is always a fresh batch when we order it every couple months. The nice thing about it is it will remain flexible rather than hard like Epoxy. So go for it!!

Comment

Yep, Wayne was instrumental in bringing Beacon products to Motion RC. Many of us have benefited as a result!
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I've had good experience with Foam tac as well!
            When I had to cut the tail wheel out of one of my Pandoras for repairs, I simply glued it back on with Foam tac and had no problems at all. I had my Freewing Mustang shed her gear twice, and foam tac got her repaired both times. Finally replaced the wings, but there was never an issue with the repaired pieces.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

I've also had good experience with Foam Tac. Works as well on plastic as it does on foam, I've even used it to repair foam hinges, makes them stronger than original.

Roy B.

Comment

FoamTac is almost all I use now for building and repair now. I understand it's basically a type of contact cement that doesn't eat foam. Unfortunately, with our dollar, FoamTac price has risen 40% in the last year or so.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info, and Thanks Wayne for bringing Beacon to MotionRC. So far I'm liking it pretty well. Only thing I don't like so far is how long it takes to tack up. I had a crack in my wing and in my fuse of my PZ Corsair and it took awhile of holding it to bond the way I wanted. Since the parts weren't completely broken I couldn't really pull them apart too far and put them back together like it says in the info I've seen, but I did the best I could. It seems to have a good bond now about 30 minutes or so afterwards. It worked great on the F9F Panther so far as well... Thanks again.. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X