X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made foam filler

I've made my own wood filler for years, from fine saw dust. Now I want to make a white foam filler. I tried corn starch and Varathane w.b. clear coat... NOT! Now I'm trying flour and Varathane... very close. I want to duplicate Elmers white wood filler. Can't get a hint, on line, as to what the ingredients are. Some very fine, white powder... No jokes please! Just picking your brains. Doc

Talcum power preferably industrial none perfumed.

I assume you are using this as a sanding sealer.

I really like this Beacon product.
    http://www.motionrc.com/beacon-foam-...-compound-8oz/

Comment

Talcum powder! Of course! I'll try it. It would be too easy to just buy filler. I have a problem... I enjoy reinventing the wheel. Now and then I get lucky and improve the wheel. I found that too much Varathane makes it dry way too hard. I'm working on finding the best water/Varathane ratio. I see it can be used as a matting agent, also. Thanks, Konrad! Doc

Comment

white (glass) microballoons is another possibility. Not quite as fine texture as talc but the resulting filler would be lighter.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

If not being pure white is acceptable, WEST SYSTEMS #410 MICROLIGHT FAIRING FILLER does a great job.

Comment

OK...It's easier to just buy Foam Tac or Elmers white wood filler, but for you guys who are interested in making your on, I have come up with a recipe for a nice, flexible filler. Aprox. 1/2 Kilz water base primer, 1/2 water. Slowly stir in talcum powder until you reach your prefered consistency. More water makes it more sandable, but less flexible and spreadable. Less water, harder and easier to spread. I used Walmart Equate baby powder. The scent does go away. If you add water to your mix, you will need to add more talc. Doc

Comment

I have some concerns about terminologies. I think of wood/foam "Filler" as something that address any discontinuities in the base material. Then there is the idea of "sanding sealers" these are used in the preparation for laying down a surface finish. While it is really just a matter of particle or void size the material used have different properties.

What I think Dr wanted/describes is a sanding sealer. What the other participants describe are fillers.

Doc, can we get some clarity on how you are using this.

Comment

Lightweight Spackling Paste works perfect

Comment

I like durhams water sealer mixed with micro baloons. Spreads decent and eas to sand.

Comment

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post
                    Lightweight Spackling Paste works perfect
                    Ok, as a filler, but not so well as a sanding sealer. I've had issues with it dissolving under water based top coats.

Comment

I'm making this for a dent and hole filler. What I like about it is, it's flexible. What I don't like is, it's not as sandable as Elmers white filler. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                        I'm making this for a dent and hole filler. What I like about it is, it's flexible. What I don't like is, it's not as sandable as Elmers white filler. Doc

Hey Doc I use Red Devil Light Weight sparkling compound thinned with a little water. Works great sands well.

Roy B.

Comment

I'll check it out. Between aileron hinge failure, a pretty girl talking to me while I'm flying, or just plain old stupidity, I need all the foam repair putty I can get. Doc

Comment

I use DAP Fast n Final for basic surface repairs. Dries fast, light weight and very easy to sand smooth. You know you have the right product when you pick up the container at the store and it feels empty.

If I'm painting over it, I seal it with some cheap spray light gray automotive primer.

Jim

Comment

use Red Devil Light Weight sparkling
                              car servicing

Comment

Hello ' I have an FMS Hawker Typhoon that I had a bad crash and had some fuselage damage. I made a homemade filler using clear gorilla glue and regular Johnsons baby power and it works out very well. Mixed in a Dixie cup and let it sit for about 45 min then applied it to my plane. The only thing is that it has to dry overnight but it is surprisingly easy to sand. Fill cup half full with powder and add glue as needed until you get a thick mixture that looks like bondo.

Comment

Working...
                                X