Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DURAFLY TUNDRA - ASSEMBLY

DURAFLY TUNDRA - ASSEMBLY VIDEO

Check out my new video on the TUNDRA. Some good tips, could be helpful in your build. Enjoy the video.
    Wisconsin John

Is it possible to fly on Lipo 2S 3000mah?

Comment

I personally would not use a 2s battery. I use 3S 2200 - 3000 mah 35-50C lipo batteries. You may get it off the ground with a 2S, but you wouldn't have the power or time need for this plane. I hope this was helpful.
      Wisconsin John

Comment

Understood...

As much as I said never to buy a foamie, now I am the proud owner of a HK Tundra. A buddy had a spare one, and could not pass the offer.

Its all set in the workbench with receiver, servos, flaps, etc, and all I got is 2S, and the 3S are coming in the mail. So tempted to fly it on 7.4v, but will stand by until the 11.1v batteries arrive in the mail from Value Hobby.

I got a few 3S, 4400mah, but its a brick of a battery, I use them on 1/8th ARRMA Talion truggy, making them a 6S powerhouse.

Comment

Hi Crankenstein,
          I to am into the RC car world. Checkout part of my ARRMA collection (video link attached). I now have seven total and having a ball with them. Unfortunately I can no longer fly because of nerve damage in my hands (and I really miss it). The cars are a great substitution, their a lot closer to the ground if I make a mistake.lol GOOD LUCK.
          WISCONSIN JOHN

ARRMA FLEET:
          An amazing March Madness deal from Tower Hobbies in combination with my credit card bonus dollars made for fantastic pricing on the four (RAIDER, GRANITE, TY...

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post
            I got a few 3S, 4400mah, but its a brick of a battery, I use them on 1/8th ARRMA Talion truggy, making them a 6S powerhouse.
            The Tundra will take a 4400mah, 3s. You just have to put it far enough back to make it balance on the CG. Payload on this plane is quite ample.
            A 2s will be very sluggish and you will need to fly it at max throttle virtually the whole flight. You will not have sufficient power left over for emergency maneuvers. If you fly it knowing this, you can regulate your rate of ascent during take off and make your turns very mild, using more rudder than AIL to keep up airspeed. You essential can do a "flat turn".
            My Tundra is my parachute drop plane.

Comment

Glad to hear, although they are brick of a battery, its 385g, Turnigy nano-tech 4.4 3S 65-130C.

I did receive in the mail today, 4S 2200mah 30C lipos (total of three), which I am charging at this time. The power is insane on 4S, and according to the instructions the ESC should take them without burning it.

Comment

Glad to hear, although they are brick of a battery, its 385g, Turnigy nano-tech 4.4 3S 65-130C.

I did receive in the mail today, 4S 2200mah 30C lipos (total of three), which I am charging at this time. The power is insane on 4S, and according to the instructions the ESC should take them without burning it.
                I have the Turnigy Heavy Duty, 2.2, 3s, 60-130C and I just weighed 2 of them. They tip the scales at 400gm, so your single 4.4 NanoTech is about right. This plane can easily fly with 400g of batteries.
                If you are just throwing in a 4s battery, all else stock, then yes, the power is eye popping. Although the ESC "should" take it, I'm not so sure the motor will. My motor went up in a puff of smoke on my second flight on 4s, but then, I was also using a 4-blade 10.5x8 prop, so who knows if it was the prop or the 4s battery. I have since installed a bigger ESC, gone back to 3s with a 1200kv motor and still using the 4-blade prop. It goes almost as good as the 4s on stock stuff.

Comment

Ok, I flew the 4.4 3S and the Tundra flew very well.

I had to swap the aileron servos, the switch wing to fuselage thing was giving me all kinds of problems. Ripped the whole deal apart, servo cable extensions, new metal gear servos, hot and some CA glue and done with it. The ailerons are much more crisp with those cheap Value Hobby ones, I think about $4.00 each and super noisy, but work well.

The friend who sold me the Tundra has the same problem as me, and I dont think its a CG issue. To me the wing AOA and/or motor position is not set correctly. Both Tundra have the same flight flaws, gain some altitude, two mistakes high, toward the wind, 0% on the throttle and let it glide, it immediately goes down, and similarly when landing, it does not float. The CG is set right, same battery 3S 2200mah lipo, and the same situation. I have to fly the airplane with a little flaps for it to fly and stay linear, or else I have to be on the throttle all the time. Besides that, the Tundra is fun to fly, easy, fast, lands well (besides the loss of altitude of what I described above), climbs, flies inverted very well, gently corrects itself, turns nice with rudder only...

Comment

As I had mentioned before, regardless of battery and trimming, unless using flaps, the Tundra tended to lose altitude quick when letting go off the throttle as if out of trim or incorrect AOA. This is a ARF, so there is nothing I can do about fixing that, plane CG is set, I even added a 1/2 an ounce to the tail.

Opening up the tip (behind the cowl), removing some foam for more airflow seemed to have solved the problem. Now if use flaps it does climb, and with none at all and no throttle a nice predictable loss of altitude.

Its a great plane, a little over priced for out of the box servos and the fuselage to servo connector in the wing area is too brittle. Mine stopped working, at the beginning I thought it was low battery, or reversed servo,kink, etc. The servo connector board port on the sides of the plane went bad. I'll post pictures, had to install new servos, what the heck, and servo extensions.

Comment

Wisconsin John;

Some collection of ARRMA rc cars and lots of money saved.

I got a few nitro 1/8th scale with different setups; .21, .26 nitro engines. The Losi 5ive clone, the Rovan LT 305, (stands for 30.5cc engine). I got a good deal from King Motors back then when they had all anodized upgrades, tuned pipe, 30.5cc engine shipped all for $700.00. Later bought the HPI Baja clone, Rovan Baja, same deal, with a 30.5cc engine, tuned pipe for $450.00 shipped. Like all large scales RTR, they need upgrades as soon as their first run, regardless if brand or clone. I like more the Baja, more challenging to drive, and a sick power slide buggy. The LT 305 is more a scale realistic look, too many parts making it a high maintenance short course truck.

Still rockin with the ARRMA Talion, the perfect basher for construction sites, just got to make sure to swap the tires because they dont last long.

I just stumbled into the Huanqi 727, Slash 4x4 clone, run it brushed until it burns out, and swap with a GoolRC brushless setup, but lets see... still thinking about it if I buy it or not.

Comment

Too little voltage can be just as bad as too much use 3s just to make sure better safe than sorry.

Comment

The factory ESC and motor will take 4S no problem.

I set the CG right, now it flies fine, and on windy conditions flies much better.

Comment

" Now if use flaps it does climb, and with none at all and no throttle a nice predictable loss of altitude." By Crankestein

Mix in a little down on the elevator when you use your flaps and it will level out . I have one and had to do the same . Fun flying plane .

Bryan
                            But Crashing is Landing

Comment

As I had mentioned before, regardless of battery and trimming, unless using flaps, the Tundra tended to lose altitude quick when letting go off the throttle as if out of trim or incorrect AOA. This is a ARF, so there is nothing I can do about fixing that, plane CG is set, I even added a 1/2 an ounce to the tail.

Opening up the tip (behind the cowl), removing some foam for more airflow seemed to have solved the problem. Now if use flaps it does climb, and with none at all and no throttle a nice predictable loss of altitude.

Its a great plane, a little over priced for out of the box servos and the fuselage to servo connector in the wing area is too brittle. Mine stopped working, at the beginning I thought it was low battery, or reversed servo,kink, etc. The servo connector board port on the sides of the plane went bad. I'll post pictures, had to install new servos, what the heck, and servo extensions.
                              Hi Crankestein,
                              i recently maidened the tundra v2 and had similar issue with nosing down. It is not the CG, I got that right at 55mm. Flies straignt/horizontal on flaps, but without flaps needs significant up elevator. You mentioned removing some foam behind the cowl. Was this you final solution and would you be so kind to post pictures, if you still own that plane? I know it’s been awhile since you posted this...
                              also, what is “wing AOA” stand for?
                              I was also think that maybe motor may need more downward angle for it to fly more horizontal?

Comment

"Angle Of Attack"

Comment

Working...
                                X