X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a Soft-Edge When Airbrushing Tri-Color Corsair

Gentlemen/Gentlewomen, I would like some advice about creating a 'soft-edge' distinction between colors on my Flightline Corsair. I, like most, can get a sharp edge, no problem and all of my aircraft only have sharp lines. Now I gotta soften those. I have a good airbrush set up and a few skills, but do not want to reinvent the wheel. Thank in advance, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

on my freewing A-10, I free-handed the camo with the airbrush. the edge comes out pretty soft, but you can make it sharper by having the airbrush closer to the model.

Another option is to use 3M Soft Edge Foam Masking Tape, (Product #06297). This I have used on my scratchbuilt A-10 as well as the 3D printed 120mm L-39. The edge is much crisper, but still soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      Gentlemen/Gentlewomen, I would like some advice about creating a 'soft-edge' distinction between colors on my Flightline Corsair. I, like most, can get a sharp edge, no problem and all of my aircraft only have sharp lines. Now I gotta soften those. I have a good airbrush set up and a few skills, but do not want to reinvent the wheel. Thank in advance, LB
      Hi Elbee: for those soft edges, for years I have been using 3M soft edge Foam Masking Tape. I used it on my tri-color schemes on the foamie planes as well as large gassers that needs that soft edge. It is cylindrical foam, and has a line of soft tack clear tape that runs along the foam so that you can tack it down with the tape on the foam roll. This way you can use your airbrush at such an angle to get the amount of soft or harder edge that you want.

They use this stuff to get soft edges on car doors and other automobile painting applications. I've probably used it for 20 years.

I'm looking at the box now. It comes in a roll in a box that you can play out and cut as you need to. I use the 13mm diameter by 50m long roll.

This would work well for the tri-color scheme or any camo pattern where you want a soft edge.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. It should be available in any good automotive paint store in town,, Amazon, or whatever.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Dirty Dee davegee guys thank you. You'd have to figure 3m would make the right product. DD, in the pic then, your L-39, you used the 3m there, right. Great paint on both, Sir. Good to read your voice, it is been too long. And thanks Dave. I am trying tolay down the intermediate AN 608. Funny it is almost a dead match for the primer, but I want a more faded shade and same for the AN 606. I painted the canopy frames lighter but could be too light, so I figure it might be easier to fade everything with lighter shading after putting down the actual colors. I am going with acrylics (Mig) for this airframe. First time using this method throughout, so we'll see. Best, Steve
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dirty Dee davegee guys thank you. You'd have to figure 3m would make the right product. DD, in the pic then, your L-39, you used the 3m there, right. Great paint on both, Sir. Good to read your voice, it is been too long. And thanks Dave. I am trying tolay down the intermediate AN 608. Funny it is almost a dead match for the primer, but I want a more faded shade and same for the AN 606. I painted the canopy frames lighter but could be too light, so I figure it might be easier to fade everything with lighter shading after putting down the actual colors. I am going with acrylics (Mig) for this airframe. First time using this method throughout, so we'll see. Best, Steve
          Sounds like a plan. One thing I have always kept in mind is that all these airplanes flying from remote bases in the Pacific, were subject to intense sun, wind-blown sand, salt water, etc., really affecting the paint schemes by fading, especially on the surfaces that faced the sun on a regular basis. They didn't keep their pristine colors for very long in that environment. So, judicious use of weathering would be appropriate, IMHO.

Best,

dave

Comment

Originally posted by davegee View Post

Sounds like a plan So, judicious use of weathering would be appropriate, IMHO.

Best, dave
            In looking at the reference for this totally fictional, made-up, what if livery in my mind's eye; it has fairly fresh paint. Definitely for the squadron markings. Weathering the gun ports, etc is almost a requirement, right? Faded paint is always a Pandora's box. For me it is where do you stop. Thanks for aiding in a game plan, guys. Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dirty Dee and davegee Found the 3m on A_zon, 50 meters is like a 4-lifetime supply. Do you think I could I use 0.5-0 .625 closed cell foam backer rod but then there is no adhesive edge? Also thinking maybe acupuncture needles to hold it in place. Or I am just going to have to bite the bullet and then live long enough to use it up, I suppose. That's a lot of aircraft to paint. Could be worse things. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

it can go pretty quick. I used up a lot when on just the 2 planes. as with moth adhesives, there is that risk of peeling up paint, so your acupuncture idea might have some merit.

Comment

In looking at the reference for this totally fictional, made-up, what if livery in my mind's eye; it has fairly fresh paint. Definitely for the squadron markings. Weathering the gun ports, etc is almost a requirement, right? Faded paint is always a Pandora's box. For me it is where do you stop. Thanks for aiding in a game plan, guys. Best, LB
                  Hi LB: yes, you're dealing with a fictional airplane, and figure out about how much you want to do on any weathering techniques. At a minimum, I would think you'd want to add some exhaust to the three stacks on either side of the cowl and grime/grease on the bottom of the fuselage.

It is a fine line, if you decide to do some weathering. I remember a national contest that I was competing in, and the guy next to me on the flight line had a nice P-51D, about 1/4 scale or so. The problem was, he went totally overboard with the weathering. Looked awful! Looked like the plane had reentered the Earth's atmosphere instead of just normal weathering for wartime conditions. Of course, I didn't say anything to him about it. but almost worse than doing no or too little weathering, is doing TOO MUCH weathering!

Sounds like you have some pictures to go by for some ideas, so that is a good start.

Regarding the foam tape or the 3M rolls that you can buy. It is quite a bit on the roll, and I've had mine for a few years now. But I am getting to the end of the roll, so it does eventually get used up after a few projects. I like the 3M foam cylindrical foam with the line of tape that runs down the side, as you can make the patterns for the tri-color patterns by simply pressing them on to the shape you want it to be and you can adjust the angle of the airbrush through some practice to vary exactly how hard or soft you want the edges to be to your liking.

Look forward to hearing more how it is going. There are several of us here with some experience in painting techniques that you can use as a sounding board for any help we might be able to provide on your magnificent Corsair!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

davegee Much appreciated as always. Best, Steve
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dirty Dee & davegee i received the foam stuff and airbrushed the starboard fuselage side with Interim AMA 608 (Ammo) and it looks spectacular. Thank you, guys, for the tip and the continued support. I'll post some pics in the Corsair thread when I have finished all the fuselage paintwork. Best, Steve
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dirty Dee & davegee i received the foam stuff and airbrushed the starboard fuselage side with Interim AMA 608 (Ammo) and it looks spectacular. Thank you, guys, for the tip and the continued support. I'll post some pics in the Corsair thread when I have finished all the fuselage paintwork. Best, Steve
                        Great news, Steve! Look forward to seeing some progress pics, as you see fit to post. I am continuing work on my P-47. Sprayed the fuse, now I'll use the 3M foam to spray the Neutral Gray underneath using the foam. Will probably finish the dividing line with an airbrush to get the perfect look I'm looking for, depending on how I like the foam line.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Working...
                        X