X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying decals

Here's a trick that us plastic modellers use for applying water slide decals to our models that have a flat or low sheen finish. This also works for vinyl decals from Callie etc.

Apply a high gloss finish (sometimes 2 or 3 coats are required) to the area you wish to apply the decal and let dry.

Coat the surface you wish to apply the decals on with a spray of water with a couple of drops of detergent. Apply the decal and squeegee out any water ensuring that no air bubbles are present. Let dry for 24hrs.

Next apply a coat of flat finish over your newly applied decal......it will magically blend in and look like it was painted on.

Hope this helps.

Phill
    The home hangar seems to breed!!

Nice tip Phill!

I also use a decal setting solution take make the decal "snuggle" down to the surface. My go to is Walther's Solvaset.
    Pat

Comment

Yes, I do as well...MicroSet and MicroSol. Ok for water slide but totally ineffective on vinyl decals.
      The home hangar seems to breed!!

Comment

+1 on the MicroSet and MicroSol. I've never used the Solvaset, but I've heard good things about it.

A tip on applying vinyl is to brush down a diluted soap solution. This allows the vinyl to 'float' while you position it. Then you squeegee out the liquid and the vinyl adheres. This also helps to eliminate air bubbles from under the vinyl.

Comment

Yeah, I should have clarified the decal setting solution is for water slide only.
          Pat

Comment

Working...
          X