X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min-Wax Water Based Polyurethane

Hi guys, I just got through putting some of the Min-Wax Polyurethane Semi Gloss on my planes over the weekend and it works like magic. here is a pic of my Eflite P-47.

I use this as well and it really bring out the color and provides some protection to the finish.

Comment

where can you get this product and how do you apply it? The plane looks nice and shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by zeo View Post
        where can you get this product and how do you apply it? The plane looks nice and shiny.
        Check out this thread in the Tips & Tricks channel for details about the product, as well as others, and where to buy:

Pat

Comment

Most any hardware store like Ace or Home Depot has it. You want Minwax Polycrylic waterbased. I use the semi-gloss and it is so simple to do, just wipe the plane down with a moist paper towel to remove any dirt and if its brand new its a good idea as well. Some people warn of a releasing agent film that needs to be removed but I didn't run into any. If you do then just put the first coat on and leave it alone...don't overbrush it. After it dries put on a second coat and it will fill in any fisheyes that might have happened. Or you can rub the plane down with rubbing alcohol lightly....be careful not to burn the paint off.

Anyway once you start applying it ( I brushed mine but you can spray it on. I like brushing because I get more for my money in the can compared to the spray can and I can lay it on just the way I want). keep the wet edge. Start at a wing tip and go from the leading edge back and if it loads up in the ailerons or in any of the panal lines you might have just wipe the brush through it to remove the puddle. The biggest thing to a great finish is DON'T OVER BRUSH IT. Lay a decent amount on about 1 mil thick and it will level out. If you made a mistake and brushed through it after it set up and made a brush mark let it dry completely. Then go over it again and feather it in, it will fill the brush marks and be fine. Do the whole plane at a time, top side first and as much as the body you can reach without turning it upside down. You can coat everything....decals, plastic parts, wheel pants just keep it out of your servos and control horns, be smart.

I put three coats on my planes and they look a ton better than the pictures I posted, yours will too. And don't worry about the weight factor, its about as much as a plastic coffee cup lid.

Comment

Lots of information on this and Varathane Spar Urethane. I've used both and prefer the Varathane because its made for outdoors and has a UV protectant. I also get better results with it.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

I am sooo sorry I started the Minwax poly thread a couple of years ago. Varathane's quality far surpasses Minwax. Once again... Minwax is brittle when dried and bubbles and streaks when applied. Varathane does none of this. I actually threw away a can of Minwax when I discovered Varathane...no use for it. Doc

Comment

Anyone found a good flat poly finish?

Many warbirds don't look right with a gloss, satin or semi finish. Are you guys hitting it with some dullcoat afterwards?

Comment

Varathane is available in flat. I actually buy flat and gloss to mix my own prefered sheen. By the way, Home Depot carries it. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                    Varathane is available in flat. I actually buy flat and gloss to mix my own prefered sheen. By the way, Home Depot carries it. Doc
                    Good to know. I searched for it in flat on Amazon and didn't find any options.

Comment

I also switched to varathane on Doc's advice,much better than MinWax.

Comment

My Home Depot does not carry Varathane in flat. Wish they did.
                        Pat

Comment

I find it interesting that every once in a while, someone will make the discovery of Minwax and we start all over again!
                          Anyway, the bottom line, at least for me, is that Minwax is an 'ok' product but Varathane is a superb product. I was a Minwax fan and still find it useful fro glazing and such, but for a final coat, its Varathane, Doc tried to tell us in the beginning and I finally broke down and tried it. He was right, at least for the gloss coat as that's all I've used so far.
                          Thanks for the tip (again) Doc, the result I get from Varathane in one coat would have taken several coats with Minwax.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Here's what I could find on Amazon for water-based Matte finish. I may just have to order a can.

Pat
                            Pat

Comment

So maybe I should sand down my Minwax and apply Verathane ? Wow sorry guys.

Comment

Don't bother removing what's already there. If you want to use Varathane, just apply it right over the Minwax.
                                Pat

Comment

Ok thank you, and I apologize for the misinformation I posted about the Minwax. I certainly don't want someone to ruin their plane on my suggestion.

Most of the time I use it for a base coat before I repainted my planes to help protect the foam from propellants in the can. And it gives me a more even finish coat when I'm above anything from a semi gloss up. As far as warbirds having a shiny finish I think that's up to the pilot himself some like it some don't I happen to like it especially in certain colors .

Try and remember the planes that we are dealing with are really NASA specifications and I understand trying to do things right but after all this is a hobby and trying something out especially on an older plane gives you ideas of what you can do.

Anyway I always appreciate any constructive criticism him so thanks to everybody that's had something to say so far

Comment

I meant to say that our planes are not up to NASA specs. So just remember to go fly am and have some fun and if they break just fix it and if it's ugly repaint it

Comment

Hey Nick. I don't think you need to apologize. The Min-wax won't ruin a plane. And is still a good suggestion in the event that Varathane isn't anywhere to be found.

Comment

If you will look on the good bye iron Ass thread Mr Grossman pointed me to a site to order the varathane. Posting with this phone is a pain. Or I would have put the site he directed me to.
                                        Dewey l

Comment

Working...
                                        X