X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray paint

Hey guys, any one know what type of spray paint I can use on EPO foam planes. Something that I can get at a local store? Any help would be appreciated thanks. Dwayne

Hi you can use any spray paint on epo planes at this point now like krylon. Just go back a little farther than normal but your good to go.
    Hope this helps!

Comment

Hi Dwayne, I've had great luck with Valspar. Its a paint and primer all in one. It lays on really nice

Comment

I use Krylon because it dries so quickly. After it is COMPLETELY dry, I give it one or two coats of Varathane waterbased clear gloss. Were talking a Beautiful finish! Doc

Comment

I've had good luck with Krylon, Rust-oleum, Valspar, ACE Hardware brand and Testors model spray paints. The real trick is getting the paint to stay on the foam. Make sure it is a clean as you can get it. I wipe EPO foam clean with acetone before painting. If you don't have acetone, clean the foam with rubbing alcohol.

​Jim

Comment

Yes...definately rub it down with alcohol. I also give it a coat of Varathane as a primer, before painting. After it dries I rub my hand over the plane to find any rough spots. I sand them lightly with 600 grit wet/dry paper, but I don't wet it. Doc

Comment

I found, and I've stated it before, that if you put a coat of Varathane or Minwax on the plane, then rub it off with a rag, it removes the oil residue that the molds leave behind. I've done this on every plane that had any white/bare surfaces and it works great. Just rub it like you're polishing a shoe, let it dry and you're good to go.
              Pandora One is down with Acrylic Enamel that I picked up in the craft section of Wally world. Pandora Two was painted with Rustoleum Painter Touch Ultra Cover and Primer which worked well.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

I really like the Testors and Tamiya spray paints on epo. They stick very well, and generally have more selection of accurate colors for painting a warbird. I use the tamiya primer first as a base coat, and that even protects EPS from most spray paints.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Tamiya primer. I have an old version of the FMS Alpha Jet that is EPS. I sprayed some Krylon primer on the old busted fuselage and it attacked the foam a bit. I think the new fuselage I bought is EPO. So more fun to be had. :)

Comment

Krylon now makes a Foam Primer, even has an airplane on the label...I've used it and it works great to seal bare areas and fills in the cell lines.
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I've looked for that here at Walmart and Michaels. No joy. I'm gonna have to order it online.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                        I've looked for that here at Walmart and Michaels. No joy. I'm gonna have to order it online.
                        Let me know if you can't find any, the Michael's and Hobby Lobby here stock it.
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Think I'll have to get a can myself, sounds like a great product.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                          X