X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer tailspin

I made the mistake of trying to view the latest post on "all us intermediate pilots..." It sent my old computer into an almost unrecoverable tailspin! It just can't handle all those posts. Does anyone else have this problem? Doc

That thread is only 11 pages long. I've seen threads on other forums reach 100's, even 1000's of pages. I don't think a computer sees all the pages of an internet site, only the one that is being viewed, which, depending on how many posts per page you want, can be 25 or 50. That's not a lot of posts. Also, are you on "dial up" or cable or satellite? Old computers can also be full of malware and spyware, collected over the years of operation. These can slow a computer down immensely. Might be time to upgrade to a new computer or better internet connection.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm going to be forced into a new computer. Doc

Comment

I hate buying a new computer. The good part of the first day after you get it home is comprised of downloading ALL the updates and making all your personal selections for this and that and the other thing. Choosing which one of the "new fangled" APPS to allow to run and which to leave alone is always a daunting task. It's usually at this point that you make a choice about something you don't completely understand that affects the computer for the rest of its life. Some of these choices sneak up and bite you in the butt months and years down the road when you don't even know it. Besides, even if you tell it not to do something, some APPS do it anyway and in time, they shove some spyware into your new computer that quickly turns it into and "old" computer.
        It'll work great for about a month before you notice that it seems to be slightly slower than it was a month ago. That's the first telltale sign you've picked up some malware that messing with it in the background. Getting a new computer is a love/hate ordeal. It's almost obsolete the minute you process your credit card for the purchase. Your new computer was likely manufactured and boxed up 6 months ago. Then some guy from India phones you up saying he's got way to clean up your computer and make it better.
        Good Luck, Doc.

Comment

I got a cheap Chinese one Doc.... Can't recommend it though. No USB ports.... ;)
          Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
            I got a cheap Chinese one Doc.... Can't recommend it though. No USB ports.... ;)
            Hahahahaha, that just kills me! I have 2 of these. My father used one back in the 50's and he could do calculations faster than I can get my computer one opened up and enter the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
              I'm afraid I'm going to be forced into a new computer. Doc
              Be more specific Doc. What operating system are you using? What type internet connection do you have? Do you have anti-virus? My gut tells me that your computer is ate up with spyware and clutter and maybe a nasty virus or two. Sounds to me like something is really eating up all of your memory.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                I made the mistake of trying to view the latest post on "all us intermediate pilots..." It sent my old computer into an almost unrecoverable tailspin! It just can't handle all those posts. Does anyone else have this problem? Doc
                Hey Doc, do you have it set so you only get a set amount of posts per page?
                Ben could be right about his thoughts too, have you tried Crap Cleaner? Its a free program that you can get on filehippo.com,if you need a hand finding it let me know, its a great little program and the price is right. An anitvirus/firewall is a must, try running Windows Defender as well, it comes with Windows 7, not sure about 8 and 10.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                X