X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam primer

Priming your surface is easy with Krylon® Craft Foam Primer. Ensure that a true and even paint color is achieved on surfaces such as Styrofoam®.

The guys are posting about a Krylon Foam Primer, this might be something to look into.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

I've used several cans of this...works great.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Sounds like a great product. How is it for holding paint onto foam??

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Good, and it seals bare foam and sands easily.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Headed to Lowe's anyway

Comment

I sure wished I had read about krylon foam primer sooner. I just made a mess of my pitts trying to paint it red with latex paint.

Thanks for the info Grossman56.

Comment

Thanks Grossman56, or is it 56+, for the product info. I guess this could be used in place of Minwax PolyCoat?

Comment

It was 56 like 56 years ago!!
                Anyway, I bought the Foam Primer through Amazon if you have trouble finding it. I plane to use it on the F7F when I get my hands on it. Strip it with Acetone and prime it. Then, I have a silver grey paint that's going on it then a clear pearl finish , then the decals then a final coat or two of Spar Varathane. La Patrona!

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                  It was 56 like 56 years ago!!
                  Anyway, I bought the Foam Primer through Amazon if you have trouble finding it. I plane to use it on the F7F when I get my hands on it. Strip it with Acetone and prime it. Then, I have a silver grey paint that's going on it then a clear pearl finish , then the decals then a final coat or two of Spar Varathane. La Patrona!

Grossman56
                  Look forward to seeing La Patrona parked next to the -2D at NEFI this year. :Cool:
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

a definite photo op there!!
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Too bad the manufacturer doesn't make unpainted airframes available! Oh well, in a perfect world....

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                        Too bad the manufacturer doesn't make unpainted airframes available! Oh well, in a perfect world....
                        I and the many others in this hobby that like to express our own views on what we want our model(s) to represent as a livery have repeatedly asked for a "plain wrapper" for years but to no avail. :(
                        The tangible aspect of this would be less expense to the manufacturer resulting in a appropriate reduced cost of purchase to the retail consumer.
                        The intangible portion to the consumers is the reduced time/expense involved to strip/prep an already painted airframe for a 'makeover'.
                        I'd like to know what is SO difficult in not producing a plane that is just plain white ( bare foam) at a lower cost to the consumer. :Confused:
                        It doesn't take a perfect world to make this happen ! ;)
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Heck ya!!
                          Even if the price was the same, it would be so much easier to start with bare foam. Not to mention not having to deal with paint strippers!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

I'm afraid we modifiers are a small breed. Possibly, most modelers just take their planes out of the box , slam them together and hope they fly. I guess there isn't enough demand for bare planes. Shame.:( Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                              I'm afraid we modifiers are a small breed. Possibly, most modelers just take their planes out of the box , slam them together and hope they fly. I guess there isn't enough demand for bare planes. Shame.:( Doc
                              A while back, both Hobbyking and Diamond Hobby sold unpainted airframes, and both reps on RCG said something very similar. Even though both made very limited runs of unpainted aircraft as a test, they sat in their inventory for months and didn't sell until the price was dropped. Go to any club wardbird event, any it's a good bet that 95% of PNPs/ARFs are in their stock paint schemes. Unfortunately, the modding community for repaints is quite small. The new Flightline and Durafly models and even the HK B-17 have taken a great approach by leaving the decals separate though. Supposedly, even FMS is going to start leaving them separate on their new Tigercat. Easy for us to repaint, convenient for those who want an out of the box model, and there is generally a pretty good variety of marking to choose from without repainting. In the mean time, I've been picking up the unpainted kits at clearance price :).

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                If they make it available pnp, bnf or kit, and you can preorder, you should be able to preorder it unpainted. Makes sense to me, expecially on a preorder! Again, in a perfect world.

Comment

I found the krylon foam spray on Amazon for $12.99 but bought it at hobby lobby for $6.49 so I got two. Thanks for the heads up because this is going to come in handy when a I paint my new to me LX B-25. :Cool:

On the thought of the unpainted air frames, Deltadart has the same thought I had when I first read OV-10's comment about unpainted, I too would like not to have painted but storage space for all the different inventory would a nightmare. One other thought was you could preorder like Boots said. My .02 R.:Straight-Face:
                                  AMA 424553

Comment

Thanks for the tip RR, I'll have to check out HL next trip to Billings, the price is right and I paint pretty much all of my planes.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

:Cool:.
                                      AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
                                      X