X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLRC Bearcat retract replacement

The right retract on my new Bearcat was defective out of the box, it cycled two or three times and then locked in the down position. Motion sent out a replacement right away (thanks guys).

While waiting on the retract I really want to fly the plane so I flew it four times with the gear down and this is a great flying plane so I was anxious to get the gear replaced and today was the day I replaced it.

I've never been much of a builder (was never good at it), I've really enjoyed the planes I've bought from Motion, the go together quickly and fly great.

I'm sharing my experience with the gear replacement for other new people out there on how I did this and what I did wrong.

One solution is to pull up the blue tape, remove the old retract, install the new one, put masking tape back down (the blue tape that came up will not stick a second time) and paint the masking tape blue to match the wing. I do not have any matching paint (yet) and I really wanted to get this done. I know I could still fly it without the tape being painted but I didn't want to. :)

The other option was to cut the servo wire at retract and solder the new retract to existing wiring and that's what I did.

I cut the servo wires on the bad retract as close to the unit as I could, I then cut the servo lead off the new retract close to the unit. I stripped the wires and prepared to solder them.

Wires are soldered together and I'm ready to shrink the heat shrink tubing.

The tubing has been shrunk. Notice the bubbling in the foam? Yeah, I wasn't thinking when I fired up the heat gun and did not protect the foam so the heat bubbled it up. ARGH! I should have out a towel over the foam to protect it from the heat. I'll know better the next time I use heat around foam.

The completed job, works like a charm!

I just use a little CA on the tape to put it back down...it's also good to learn how to work on the retracts as they are always needing something.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

My limited experience with removing the tape is that it also takes off paint that is not under the tape but beside it. If there a good way to remove the tape without removing surrounding paint?

Comment

Take an Xacto knife with a new blade and carefully trace the outer edges of the tape with it. This will keep it from pulling up paint from the edges. And you can also use white glue to stick it back down afterwards.
        Pat

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys, it's much appreciated.

TiredIronGRB; I had a retract from my F-86 that quit working (plane was in a crash) and I tore it all apart to see how it worked, neat stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
            Thanks for the tips guys, it's much appreciated.

TiredIronGRB; I had a retract from my F-86 that quit working (plane was in a crash) and I tore it all apart to see how it worked, neat stuff!
            Yeah once you get used to how they work you can usually fix them if the motor hasn't been burnt up.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I had a retract on my P-51 Petie collapse in a turn, prior to takeoff. Turns out, the stop switch allowed the part driven by the screw to move just a little past the flat on the trunnion, and allowed the trunnion close the gear if enough side force was applied. A small drop of JBWeld on the face that contacts the switch, after cleaning with acetone, stopped the part about 1mm sooner, just enough to securely lock the gear. Now, I look at all my retracts to see where the moving bit stops under the trunnion.

Comment

You know, I have some Navy Blue Electrical tape that is so close to matching that I think I'd end up using that if worse came to worse. Good old Walmart has e tape in red white black blue and yellow.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

+1 on the e-tape. I use the yellow on my Dynam Waco. It's so close I can hardly tell the difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X