Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my crashes have been due to exactly the same mechanical failure on my Spektrum DX18. The nut holding the joystick keeps failing.

OK but seriously - only one tip to add to the sage advice here. Like Alpha said, cut the throttle and leave your Tx on. HOWEVER, you might want to also take it with you. I have seen guys set it on a table, then go out searching for pieces, and end up taking longer than they expected. After a while, the Tx starts beeping, and then two things can happen: (1) somebody might see it and assume it is a mistake, and helpfully turn it off for you; (2) some Tx have a vibrator, which can then vibrate the Tx right off the table. That happened to a friend of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
      All my crashes have been due to exactly the same mechanical failure on my Spektrum DX18. The nut holding the joystick keeps failing.
      Hopefully, Spektrum will have an update for that. LOL

Comment

I never worry about crashing just want to know why and fix it. I am learning with an Apprentice. It's fun learning fixing maintaing and some times watching an experienced flyer hit a tree blow a landing or just screw up. All my minor crashes have been pilot error and fixable. I'm having more good flights than bad so like most guys say just have fun three always duck tape and glue.

Comment

(1) If crashing away from the runway, wear waterproof at higher than ankle military boots or similar if your flying field is surrounded by low lying areas or farm crops.
          A soy bean field surrounds our club field and I had to search thru waist high soybean plants trying to locate a downed RC plane.

(2) If crashing away from runway, tuck your pants into your socks to keep ticks off your skin on your legs and ankles (see point 1), as in our area deer ticks are in abundance and they carry diseases.

Comment

As I always say..."If you're not crashing, you're not flying enough".
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
              As I always say..."If you're not crashing, you're not flying enough".
              Do they make any RC airplanes out of "sponge"?
              It's gonna get expensive!
              :Crying:

Comment

Originally posted by chipset35 View Post

Do they make any RC airplanes out of "sponge"?
                It's gonna get expensive!
                :Crying:
                I really like the HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ with SAFE 1300mm, it flys great and is easy to fix.
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Where I fly at, it isn't crashing that's a problem. It's the trees that are similar to the one Charlie Brown has to deal with, but consume planes rather than kites.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                    Where I fly at, it isn't crashing that's a problem. It's the trees that are similar to the one Charlie Brown has to deal with, but consume planes rather than kites.
                    Yep, I flew my wife's E-Flite T-28 RTF into the trees twice when the wind picked up.
                    I got it down using a stick the first time, but the 2nd time we waited a week for thunderstorms, rain, and wind to knock it down as it was too high.
                    Sure enough, found it on the ground and despite the heat, wind, rain, that little yellow T-28 flew great as ever.

Comment

That's one thing about eflite/parkzone. All very easy to fix and affordable parts.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                        That's one thing about eflite/parkzone. All very easy to fix and affordable parts.
                        Agreed! You should have seen my P47D cartwheel and then break in half, flinging the rocket launchers, bombs, and fuel tank into the air, broken prop blade and several small pieces of foam.
                        It was spectacular yet SAD.
                        You would not even think the plane had such a bad crash if you saw it know, the repairs are barely noticeable.
                        That F4F Wildcat with the exception of the engine cowl is very durable, even more so.

Comment

I don't know about the affordable part there RM, I just looked at a new set of wings for the Eflite Spitty, $72!!, the wings for the Avanti are $60. Spitty will be sitting for a long time.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Yikes that's a bummer man

Comment

I crash very well....thank you for asking

Comment

I crash very well, one of the first things I learned in this hobby, the second was to learn how to repair airplanes, then I learned to fly a bit better, crashes went down, repair quality went up, then I learned to fly a bit better than that, cost of the airplanes I crashed went up, cost of repairs went up, bank account went down. Now I fly pretty good, crashes went down even more, spare pieces are not rare in the Gross house, wife has got back to her normal self instead of someone who would look at me sideways when the little brown truck cruised around the neighborhood.
                                Nowadays, I don't crash as well as I used to, due to lack of practice I guess. But when I do...………..LOLshe's a good one:Cool:

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

I dont craah much, but when I do, it's a confetti explosion! And repairs are just as impressive.

Comment

I am sorry brother!!
                                    Sux....

And ... I crash.... VERY WELL Thank you !
                                    Attached Files
                                    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Oh i've had to use a trash bag a few times at the field !!

Comment

Love your avatar! Spent 15 years off roading with my Son!
                                        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                                          Love your avatar! Spent 15 years off roading with my Son!
                                          Sweet ! I'm sure getting to ride with your son is the best ever !!! That's a pic of me from the 2009 Baja 1000 ... A bucket list check my friend and I did , 303X as a 2 man team . Lots of planning / $ for 2 guys from Vermont to pull that off

We just did the Vegas to Reno this past weekend # 817 I drove the chase truck / pitted the bike this time tho , still a super fun time :-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X