First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to soldering, seeking suggestions

Hi. I'm just not a solder guy.
    I'm open to help on how to solder effectively.AND/OR

my question is this. are there other ways to connect wires to lengthen esc' s etc.
    that won't vibrate Loose. ???

Why not solder? It's really pretty simple if you have the proper tools. All you need is a good soldering pencil (at least 40W). Most folks buy a cheap 15-20W unit and that's just not enough. Get some good electrical solder (rosin core) that has lead in it and a good quality wire stripper and maybe a couple heat sinks and some shrink wrap. Like any type of welding, clean mating surfaces are important.

sorry, I put Amps instead of watts....

Comment

Hello John and welcome to the Squawk,
      I used to use EC3's for my 4S power and EC5 for the 6S because of the cup/solder connection for increased mechanical integrity over the Dean(T) style connector.
      The only other real alternative to a soldered connection is that of a crimp connection. A crimp is actual a better connection and the reason I can attest to that claim is because I went through a special class in the Navy on connector repair/maintenance of Milspec type crimps, unless something has changed since then (40 yrs ago) but the automotive industry still uses crimps extensively to date also.
      About a year ago I had switched on my 6S requirements over to Anderson Powerpole crimp style connectors because of the better current handling capacity and lower mating insertion force required to connect/disconnect.
      I was so pleased with the easier process of putting these on LiPo's and ESC's and the outstanding performance over the solder connectors both in mechanical and electrical performance that I have started the process this winter of converting the rest of my fleet on 4S power over to the Anderson Powerpoles.
      They do require a special crimping tool that costs about $40 but like any good product you need to invest in good support equipment.
      Here are some links to the specific items I am acquiring from POWERWERX:
      https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...s-30amp-bonded Recommended for use with 12-14 gauge wire.(Amp rating based on 120V)
      https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...s-45amp-bonded Recommended for use with 10 gauge wire. Amp rating same as above
      https://powerwerx.com/tricrimp-power...-crimping-tool

Hope this has been helpful and informative to you and others that may have the same interest.
      Best regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Beef, an Ovid. tks!. I appreciate the advice an comments. I've been in the airplane hobby 7 years now. Goalies , Electric. I Suppose I'm just not a good hand at soldering. I will continue to attempt soldering as well as investn in crimp technology. .
        tks So much. John

Comment

Foames , electric

Comment

Bee g, where would I get a 40 amp pencil ,as well is the heat applied to wire first? then touch soldier to pencil an wire??. as well is "flux" needed or is it in the soldier tks John

Comment

I would recommend this 40W soldering iron : https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100.../dp/B000AS28UC. I have one, and have used it for everything up to 10AWG wire without any issues.
              Would also recommend these videos for basic soldering tips:

Comment

I shelled out a little extra for this one: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-.../dp/B000BRC2XU
                You can turn the temp up for lead-free solder, and mount fat tips for larger wire, fine tips for delicate work. I also have one of these, which can really help out: http://thejigsup.net/

Comment

If you're going to be in this hobby for awhile you will have to solder, I would recommend getting the Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station...I've soldered since I was 12 years old and have had many soldering irons but this one is hands down the very best.

TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

That Hakka one is nice. I was going to suggest the Weller. Crimps are great in certain applications but as has been said if you are into electrics learning to solder is a skill that needs to practiced in my opinion. As TiredIron said some of us have been soldering since we were kids putting together RadioShack kits or whatever. When I was in Junior High School it was almost a required class "Electrical Shop" like Wood Shop, Metal Shop or Plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                      That Hakka one is nice. I was going to suggest the Weller.
                      I've got a couple of the Wellers which are good, but they're buried in a cabinet now.
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Might have to look into that at some point.. I've been soldering since I was 7 or so and have used the Weller for almost everything to this day. Might be time for an upgrade. Just need a break in the releases of new planes to give me a chance to justify it..

Comment

OK TiredIronGRB, I'm going to give that Hakko a try. If I don't like it it's your fault! ;)

Comment

You really should learn how to solder, however, I use copper tubing from Hobby Lobby of the correct diameter for the wire. I cut it into appropriate lengths by rolling it under an exacto knife blade on a solid surface.. I then make the splice, using a $5 crimping tool from Walmart in the crafts section. Works absolutely great! Never had a joint fail. Don't forget your shrink tubing. I also use this to apply wires to biplanes. It allows you to pull the wires to the appropriate tension and then squeeze the crimping tool. Very easy. Good luck! Doc

Comment

You'll love it!

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                If you're going to be in this hobby for awhile you will have to solder, I would recommend getting the Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station...I've soldered since I was 12 years old and have had many soldering irons but this one is hands down the very best.
                                I may pick one of those up, looks like a nice unit. How do you know what to set the temperature too? Is that marked on the solder packaging typically?

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

I may pick one of those up, looks like a nice unit. How do you know what to set the temperature too? Is that marked on the solder packaging typically?
                                  The manual has suggested heat ranges but I set mine at 750 for most everything I do except the micro-quad work, I use a flat chisel tip with sharp points that I can do anything I need with. This iron will go from 0 to 750 in about 15 seconds.
                                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Thanks, my current setup is adjustable but I always have it on its highest setting.

Comment

Tks for all the input an I'm listening an going in those directions.
                                      . this is a nice forum motion rc supplied.
                                      so helpful. tks!!

Comment

TiredIronGRB, Hakko showed up last night. Can't wait to try it out. Nice unit!

Comment

Working...
                                        X