First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOAM CEMENT

What is best to use on hinges on foam ca or rubber ceament

Re: FOAM CEMENT

Are you inserting pinned hinges into the foam, or repairing a foam hinge? If the former, either will do, provided you can keep it out of the moving parts of the hinge. If the latter, a rubber-type glue, because it flexes; I use canopy glue to strengthen foam hinges, if not replacing them with pinned hinges.

Comment

Contact cement or Welder's cement... see Rocketeer's Jun 14 thread

Use caution when using CA on foam... some CAs and CA accelerators will dissolve foam...

Comment

BSI now makes a couple types of flexible CA - good for wicking in CA hinges.
        But my weapon of choice is Beacon Foam-Tac. The web abounds with demo videos & acclaims - just Goog up the string:
        Foam-Tac Hinges

I really wish MRC would carry it. Beacon recently announced a couple of new coating products that look very interesting.

Comment

@StarHopper -
          "But my weapon of choice is Beacon Foam-Tac.
          The web abounds with demo videos & acclaims - just Goog up the string: Foam-Tac Hinges"

Good catch! Vids look great, and recommend shopping around...

Amazon wants $18 for 2 oz bottle (that's $2300 a gallon!) <smiley image="smiley_scared.gif"/>

Found some on ebay for $12.75 shipped (cuts the price down to $1675 a gallon - <i>CHEAP!</i>) <smiley image="anim_jump.gif"/>

Comment

Greetings,

Watched the vid.... and I like it a lot!!

Beacon Foam-Tac Glue now $9.98 on eBay!! (2oz. Bottle)

I picked up a 2-pack which are also available for $19.98.

Thanks for sharing.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
            in Okla.

Comment

Like someone said - shop around. $12 is about the most you should pay, but it's available for less, eg:
              http://www.lazertoyz.com/Beacon-Foam-Tac_p_423.html

Another advantage - it's long lived. My last bottle was bought nearly 2 years ago - still half full, just as fluid as ever.

Also, if you wanta try some out go to Wally-World crafts section & look for Beacon Quik-Grip. In a yellow & green tube & display card. Supposed to be the same stuff in slightly thicker formula. I've read you can thin it with Toluene or Acetone - haven't tried that. The main thing wrong with good enough is mo' better. ;)

Comment

I have using this stuff for a long time and it is just great.

Comment

Hopper no speak with forked tongue! <smiley image="smiley_cool.gif"/>

Comment

Greetings,

Beacon's Foam-Tac on eBay only $9.98 with FREE shipping (2oz)
                    Best deal I've seen thus far. But there may be better deals out there.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                    in Okla.

Comment

I have had very good results with a product made by Allenies Tacky Glue"
                      I first used it as a replacement of hinge glue for my Robart hinges in my giant scale planes

VERY STRONG cleans up with water similiar to RC 56 white glue only down side is 24 hour dry time

I recently put my Freewing Mosquito together with it

Try it

Splint

Comment

<i>"...only down side is 24 hour dry time"</i>

Oddly, this came up in a discussion at our field recently. The guy who runs 2DogsRC warehouse (club member) noted that element (24hrs cure) is the downfall for what's expected these days - ie instant gratification. *LOL* True, too! Even CA isn't fast enough nowadays - everybody puts it on, hits it with Kicker.

But I'm glad you revived this thread for another reason. My part in it has been to recommend Foam-Tac as a superior cement for our use. I even questioned - elsewhere this forum - MRC about carrying it.

Fast Forward :: T'other day I was ordering some stabilizers & shopped around for something else to fill out the order, few bucks more to get free shipping. Found myself in MRC's menu for Parts & Accs > Glues & Tape .... and lo & behold, what do I spy as the HEADER image to "Specialty Glues"?? See for yourselves:
                        http://www.motionrc.com/glues-and-tape/

Even more oddly, once you click it, there's no Foam-Tac listed!
                        SO.....here & now - wassup with that, MRC guys???

Comment

Greetings,

Beacon's Foam-Tac still available on eBay only $9.98 with FREE shipping

Bill L.
                          in Okla.

Comment

Working...
                          X