X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using coffee straws

Many planes, like warbirds, have the machine guns,wing cannons, pitot tube, antennas ect. that extend prominently from the fuse as it did in full scale aircraft. At times I have used the narrow black coffee straws, like those at McDonald's, to use instead of, or as a replacement, for those damaged parts. When I have a nose over landing the plastic extensions either are broken or tear a piece of wing because the plastic original part does not flex. The black narrow straws, not only looking the part of the original item, are obviously flexible and will bend and not break. This will decrease damage to the wing that the rigid plastic part might have caused. Of course if the original part is a lot larger in diameter then a coffee straw I will use a regular size straw and cut it along its length and roll it into to a scale diameter that is similar to the original part and glue it together. I either paint that straw or use thin electrical tape of the desired color to achieve the look that I need.

RE: Using coffee straws

Originally posted by Baron
    Many planes, like warbirds, have the machine guns,wing cannons, pitot tube, antennas ect. that extend prominently from the fuse as it did in full scale aircraft. At times I have used the narrow black coffee straws, like those at McDonald's, to use instead of, or as a replacement, for those damaged parts. When I have a nose over landing the plastic extensions either are broken or tear a piece of wing because the plastic original part does not flex. The black narrow straws, not only looking the part of the original item,  are obviously flexible and will bend and not break. This will decrease damage to the wing that the rigid plastic part might have caused. Of course if the original part is a lot larger in diameter then a coffee straw I will use a regular size straw and cut it along its length and roll it into to a scale diameter that is similar to the original part and glue it together. I either paint that straw or use thin electrical tape of the desired color to achieve the look that I need.
    I am experimenting with thise itty bitty straws as channels for installing servo wires and nav light wires usingna dremel tool with the just right a width , and making a channel down wing and fishing my wires through. Second is depth you want just enough dept to allow the straw down in channel about two mm ( thought I would hate metric but relly great for stuff like this) then using light spakling compound , fill in let dry good and gently sand flush then add a light layer of epoxy along channel let dry again light sand. Then paint your plane wing .. tsgt wilfong :idea:

Comment

Greetings Baron,

Welcome Back, Man!!!!!!

We've been wondering when you might return to the fold. Thought perhaps you got hung up on this new forum format like so many of us did in the beginnng.
      Good to see you posting again.

Thanks for the tip. It's a good one.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

Many planes, like warbirds, have the machine guns,wing cannons, pitot tube, antennas ect. that extend prominently from the fuse as it did in full scale aircraft. At times I have used the narrow black coffee straws, like those at McDonald's, to use instead of, or as a replacement, for those damaged parts. When I have a nose over landing the plastic extensions either are broken or tear a piece of wing because the plastic original part does not flex. The black narrow straws, not only looking the part of the original item,  are obviously flexible and will bend and not break. This will decrease damage to the wing that the rigid plastic part might have caused. Of course if the original part is a lot larger in diameter then a coffee straw I will use a regular size straw and cut it along its length and roll it into to a scale diameter that is similar to the original part and glue it together. I either paint that straw or use thin electrical tape of the desired color to achieve the look that I need.
        Hey Baron-Good to hear from you again! I thought maybe you hadn't made the transition to the new website, but I am glad to see you back! Thanks for the tip too. I have been using some of the tubes that come from these spray bottles for things like guns on the wings. Also flexible, can be painted, and works well for me.

Comment

:cool: I have found that taking out the plastic ink tube from almost any ink pen and cutting it to the proper length works just fine for making wing cannons. and they come with a real life barrel opening.

Comment

I use them for shims on larger tires

Comment

Working...
            X