X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Armor

Looking to cover my wing leading edges, chin scoops etc.. with something to toughen them up a bit for grass, belly landings. Vacu-formed caps would be ideal, but would be a lot of work. I have heard of people using clear packing tape. I'm thinking of masking and applying a light coat of epoxy or polyester resin with a foam brush, maybe even some very light fibergass tape.
    Any ideas?

Re: Foam Armor

There is more than one weight of packing tape; I've used the heavy stuff to protect wing tips on planes that have a tendency to touch one down, and it seems to hold up well, as it is highly resistant to scuffs.

Comment

I would suggest testing this on a small spot first but..on a parkzone P-47 "snorting bull" I took some 30 minutes epoxy, thinned it with alcohol and "painted the wings, and really put it on thick on the wing around where it meets the fuse, for some reason they kept trying to crack. It worked like a charm. The only down side was that at a certain angle in the sun you could see it "shine"

Comment

Greetings Ben,

To help eliminate some of the shine from your epoxied areas, try a bit of Dull Coat over those spots.
        Again, I would test it on non-vital areas or pieces of extra foam and there are many brands but it provides a nice 'satin' finish to once glossy spots.

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
        in Okla.

Comment

Something I found at Wal-Mart Hardware section a short while back - Gorilla 'Clear Repair' tape. I know how some people love their glue products, & I had a present need so decided to try this new tape.
          I'll say now, as long as they keep making this stuff, I'll have a roll or three in my workshop!!

The tape itself is pretty tuff - appears to be a polyester type material.
          Spec-wise my roll (don't know of other possible sizes) measures 1.88" x 27'; width about that of standard duct tape. It mics out to 7-mil thick; for comparison USPS 'Ready Post' packaging tape mics only 2-mil. Normal 'heavy duty' Storage tapes mic at 5 or 6, so as said, it's built for strength.

The adhesive is VERY aggressive - it's even pretty hard to pull it off the roll to start with. Once you place it, it ain't coming off easily! 'Strengths' on the roll show it as weatherproof (wet, temperature & UV), conforms easily, & usable on inflatables - which says a lot about its quality, I think.

It's got another kinda strange quality that baffles me, so I'll mention it. When I cut off a piece (any tape), I always fold under one small corner on the leading edge so it'll be easily found for next use, right? Nearly every time I've pulled this Gorilla out to use, that folded-under corner has crept back out from under itself & straightened itself out! It really kinda weirds me out, but I just figure that shows how tuff & durable it is! I patched a 1" hole in the wing of an Extra 300 foamy, & later it 'tics' when you tap it with a fingernail, like a hard plastic. TUFF, I tells ya! :D

Try it - you'll like it!
          ~*Hopper

Comment

Greetings Hopper.

Wow! That sounds like the real thing.
            Better point it where it's needed on the first shot it seems!!

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking for it.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
            in Okla.

Comment

I almost bought some Gorilla tape a while back but was not sure about it so I bought some needed "shoo glue" to repair a plane. Based on what you stated about that adhesive tape I will be getting it in a few days. Thanks

Comment

Bill, it <i>can</i> be pulled off....ease of which depending muchly on the strata of course. But paint's comin' off with it, I'm here to tell ya.
                I've found it pays to think, & measure, beforehand. <smiley image="smiley_wink.gif"/>

Comment

Working...
                X