You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flyzone Super Cub....making it much better.....

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyzone Super Cub....making it much better.....

Hey guys,
    I bought the Flyzone Super Cub RXR to fly at home where I have a nice 55 acre adjoining my property. I keep 3 acres mowed like a golf course to make the planes easier to fly off grass. I could tell the plane needed some mods to enhance the flight characteristics & power level. My mods included:

1) Remove motor....reinforce the nose area/motor mount. Used 30 min epoxy around the steel motor mount & a light layer inside the fuse nose.
    2) Fabricated new LG with aluminum from an old "STOP" sign as it is tempered aluminum & will flex like shock absorbers.
    3) Reinforced the elevator with CF & made CF elevator struts.
    4) Installed a Turnigy Aerodrive DST 1200KV motor & replaced the ESC with a Turnigy Plush 30A.
    5) Installed an APC 8 X 6E prop & E-Flight 3mm collet spinner.
    6) Installed the 2 5/8" tires from my Sensei.....later changed to 4" "tundra" tires from my LHS.
    7) Installed a Spektrum AR400 Rx.

When installing the new motor, the plastic motor mount that has the thrust/angle mated perfectly with the motor. Be sure to double-check correct right-down thrust angle when installing the plastic adapter to the motor. The adapter holes mated perfectly with the motor holes.

The maiden flight was not good off the grass at our club field as the parks crew hadn't cut it low enough. Our club field officer did request the field be cut 1" lower for the smaller planes & foamies which they did. Hand launching worked well as the plane flew great with a spot-on CG & only took a couple clicks of up elev. & one click of left aileron for level flight at half-throttle. I had my timer on my JR10X set to 8 min. w/3S 25C 1800mah batts that fit perfectly for spot-on CG. After the timer sounded, landing was ok with a mild noseover in the uncut grass. Ok...now I knew what was needed.

The next day, a trip to my LHS resulted in getting (2) lightweight 4" "tundra" tires that the LHS owner has manufactured from a local supplier.....$8.00/pr & well worth it. After installing them, I took the Cub outside to test......BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! No problems off the grass now & no CG or flight characteristic issues at all. Takeoffs & landings are a breeze now. I did get compact 2200mah batteries to fit after removing the Velcro....now my flight times(lazy cruising) are set to 12min with 3.7v/cell residual after flight. This Cub is a great plane for newer fliers who are weaning into 4ch & larger planes. Here's some pics:

Denny

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21974__Turnigy_Aerodrive_DST_1200_Brushless_Outr unner_motor_1200kv.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2164__TURNIGY_Plush_30amp_Speed_Controller.html

Attached Files
    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Re: Flyzone Super Cub....making it much better.....

Good job, it looks great!!

Comment

Working...
    X