X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not looking like a foam model?

What's best to use to keep my A10 not looking like a foam model after sitting in the sun? I already noticed it getting that alligator skin type of look?

Providing shelter or shade is definitely the ticket to keeping a foam plane looking nice. This could be under a tree, under a pop-up canopy, covered with a plane cover or towel, etc.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1248.PNG
Views:	388
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	93858Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	93857Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	93856
      Just love the realism of this A-10! Great job Motion RC!
      Attached Files

Comment

The ONLY time my planes receive direct sun is when they are flying. Always keep them in the shade. Dark colors are especially susceptible to gatoring. Doc

Comment

This is what I wanted to use on mine. If you have a paint booth and the right humidity level this will add a very hard and durable coat over the foam... almost like a plastic hard coat with minimal weight. I live in the desert so I never got around to trying it.

Polyurethane & Polyurea Foam, Cast Elastomers, & Prepolymers. Exceeding expectations for protection, longevity, and endurance. Polyurethanes that fit YOUR process.
          Sponsored by:

ADVOCARE

Comment

That looks like great stuff to protect from scratches and dents, however, I have my doubts that it will protect from the sun and gatoring. If anything, I'm afraid, clear coating might increase the effect of sun on foam by the greenhouse effect. I still clear coat all my planes with Varathane. I may try this tyrospray- 1000, though. As for the original question...just keep your planes in the shade. Doc

Comment

I have used Styro Spray 1000 on several models now. I can report back that it does prevent gatoring, but it will not prevent dents. The foam below it is just too soft and the Styro Spray is basically like adding a coat of plastic like Monokote over the foam. I typically added two coats. It will not cover imperfections in the foam either. So it needs a good fill of spackle and latex primer. All of this adds weight. I now only use the Styro Spray in areas that matter, like near hatches or near the nose on top were the most Gator shows up. Mostly to use it up because YOU CANNOT SAND STYRO SPRAY. I think just because of this it is a waste of time. I think epoxy would do the same trick and you can sand finish resin.
              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
              X