X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a bit of washout to a plane

A lot of the guys who have been flying awhile probably already know this trick, but I just found it last weekend, and applied it to my Dynam AT6 Texan. The Texan flies great, has plenty of power, and as long as you are ready on the rudder, take-offs are no problem either. The problem I had with this one was on landing approaches. Like most Texans, it has some nasty tip stall tendancies if you go too slow. I was doing some research on angle of incidence and washout, when I found an old article from an RC magazine that recommended setting the ailerons just a couple of degrees above the line of the trailing edge of the wing. This results in some washout, and helps make the wing want to stall more at the root instead of the tips. Well, I tried it and it really does work well. I took the Texan up pretty high, and deliberately stalled it adding full up elevator. It simply rocked back and forth, but would not stall! I had thought I might need to put a gyro in the plane to help, but now I can land it with confidence. I hope this will help others!

Re: Adding a bit of washout to a plane

Like many others, I too experienced the wicked stalls on the Dynam Texan and the 109. Thanks for the tip, I always wondered how to mod. wing washout.
    CT

Comment

That's what ate my first one. Landing approach, too low & too slow turning onto final. Since learning the trick, that's how I've set up all my planes that warrant it, ever since. Easy enough to remove if it later shows it's not needed; cheap insurance.

Comment

You do this by adjusting the rod/clevis settings? or do you do this on your radio?
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I prefer to do it mechanically. Leaves all possible adjustment in either direction available to the Tx, ie doesn't leave any adjustment 'one sided'.
          Plus, can't always do it with the Tx when controls are working off a 'Y' - and I prefer to do things that work without mixing methodology. Easier to keep track of when there's a consistency....but that's just me. :)

Comment

Hi Lon-Like SH noted, I also prefer to do this by simply adjusting the rod and clevis settings. On the Dynam AT6, it is really simple since it only involves loosening the screw holding the pushrod, and moving both ailerons up a slight amount. Also easy to change if you want to go back to the original configuration too.

Comment

I'm going to try it this Saturday. Weather man says 2-5mph all day this way. Hope to take advantage of it. Thanks for the tip.

Lon
              Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I think you will be pleased with the results, especially if it is plane with tip stalling habits. I know it made a huge difference on my Texan.

Wow, 2-5mph winds all weekend? Wish that would happen around here! Enjoy it!

Comment

Loneflier....just Saturday, 2-4mph winds all day!!! Not predicting 4mph till the afternoon. The Chevy is already loaded, ready to go!!(hmmm, what am I forgetting...) Thinking a sweatshirt will feel good flying.
                  http://www.usairnet.com/lc/classic/160.gif
                  Lon

Comment

Hey guys, here I sit waiting for the wind to die down as well. I was reading an article on the same subject and it would seem that another possible solution would be to shim the horizontal stab as well, just enough to increase the angle of attack of the wing a degree or two, has anyone tried something like that?
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Hi G56,

I have not heard of or tried that mod with the horizontal stabilizer. If you decide to try it, let us know how that works out.

Comment

Working...
                      X