Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys and gals, well the wind finally let up here in Wyoming and it was in the 60's after work. Had some family issues to take care of, but managed to burn through four batteries worth of flight with Pandora Two. The new motor helps quite a bit, I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a bit more out of their Pandora.
    I put a 3536 580kv in both mine along with the 50A ESC that I changed out last year and the stock prop, seems to really help. Anyway, it was sure nice to get back in the saddle again, perfect flights so the Winter hasn't dulled my skills!!
    I'm hoping for the same weather tomorrow as I'd like to take the Apprentice out and try her with the DX6I, just to figure out what the switches will do. The flap switch is the novice/intermediate switch, but I'm not sure which is the high/low switch and , yes, I have the receiver switch set so that those are the two options. That's the only drag about the DX6i, no three way switches.
    Why all the light weighs you might ask? Well, I may be old but I'm no fool, I'm brushing up on my skills before I put my big hardware on the line. Can't afford to lose a warbird !!
    Won't be long though, I'm getting anxious to see how the new P40 will fly, won't be long now!!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey Gman,
      Glad to hear that the power upgrade recommendation that I advised is working to your liking;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Can you give us some more engineering info, like battery, prop (what is a stock prop?) and amp draw. I realize that at your altitude this info might not be relevant too many.

11x6@3 thin profile
        11x6 3-Blade Electric Propeller from Freewing - P411060 Includes "propeller fixing circle" spacers. Optional: All propellers should be balanced before use. We recommend using the BenchCraft Precision Propeller Balancer

Comment

• Sure, battery 2200 3s, stock 11x6 3 blade prop (by my definition is the one that came in the box) with an 800kv motor gives me 344 watts with an amp draw of 30.9A Stock
          With an upgrade to a 850kv motor and a 50A ESC gives me 412 Watts with an amp draw of 37A.
          That represents a 20% power increase based on a 77degree day.

Thanks Charlie for all your help and advice!!

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Good numbers, thanks

Comment

• Hey Konrad, speaking of numbers is there a useful method of calculating pitch angle to altitude, because you do bring up a good point, are these power figures based on where the factory is that makes them, at 5000+feet here in the Rockies, it would be nice to know if I should be adding blank degrees to make up for the thinness of the air.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• OK guys, here we go, post number 1600.
                I mentioned this in another thread, but as this one is more general in topics, I thought I ask it here as well.
                About a year ago, I started a file with pics of my planes with everything I had scattered on the PC from 1/32 scale models, R/C models and pics of the DC3 I used to be part owner of. Then I set it to be my desktop, hey why not, its what I'm into, right?
                Since then, whenever anyone has posted some great pics, I've saved them in this file. Its pretty big now, but it never fails to make me stop and check out the current pic being displayed.
                I was curious if anyone else does this?
                Well, here in Wyoming, believe it or not the day started out at close to 50 degrees and we're heading for the 70's apparently!!! Incredible, pretty soon that pesky grass is going to start to grow again!
                I'm just waiting to see what the wind is going to do, batteries are charged and I'm waiting...
                I was sure glad to see that Charlie and Lon had won the first contest, the key word being 'first'. I honestly didn't know I'd be exempt by taking on the Moderator role, but hey, couldn't happen to two greater guys, so now the question is, "What does Charlie pick?"
                Stay tuned

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Subscribed. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                    I was sure glad to see that Charlie and Lon had won the first contest, the key word being 'first'. I honestly didn't know I'd be exempt by taking on the Moderator role, but hey, couldn't happen to two greater guys, so now the question is, "What does Charlie pick?"
                    Stay tuned

Grossman56
                    Hello Gman,
                    After getting my communication act together, finally touched base with Alpha and advised him of my winning selection. It was a hard choice but I ending up going for.........................bzzzzzzzz......chirp snit screeeeeeech............
                    We interrupt this broadcast to bring you a full disclosure of the contest winners selection within a timely moment on the Squawk's "First Winners.........." thread.

HAAAAAA, crack myself up
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Lol. Slow night huh? ;)

Comment

• Hey Shirty, thanks for running the numbers for me regarding the 650kv/85A ESC for Old Crow. I ran the numbers through the static thrust calculator but it was a maybe kind of answer.
                        Got her installed as you can read in 'Good bye to Ol Iron Ass', the thrust at half throttle is amazing!!!

Grossman56
                        Last edited by Grossman56; Mar 13, 2016, 07:16 PM.
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• No worries mate. Anytime. :)

Comment

• Just trying this out!
                            The wife found me all these great animations!!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	animated-aeroplane-image-0153.gif
Views:	70
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	35447 Too Cool!
                              Thanks Dear
                              Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• That's awesome!

Comment

• Find me a blue nose one! :)

Comment

• Yeah Gman, it's hard to believe that you were that insensitive not to put up a blue nose!! HA :p
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• See my post for the complete explanation

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Anyway, thought I'd be able to get a few flights in this weekend, but the wind isn't going to cooperate, so....
                                        Good news is that I got all the rivet work done on My Little Gal today, its subtle, but very effective, and cheap.
                                        For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, check out the recent video
                                        A quick demonstration of how I applied a 'rivet look' to my P51, also how I apply gun smoke. The paint is thicker than what I'd normally do for video purpos...

I'm always on the lookout for a method of creating more detail without shelling out great amounts of cash.
                                        Now, the other thing I've had in mind is to create a more realistic cockpit for Big Beautiful Doll.
                                        This is a pretty good picture of a scale cockpit from a plastic model, I'm thinking that I rebuild the interior using balsa and using the extra room to create the extra detail.
                                        So, first things first, the outside dimensions of the foam 'box on the hatch cover....
                                        Stay tuned.
                                        Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• oh, and by the way, Miss America HAS a blue nose!
                                          Sort of.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X