X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby Squawk dying?

Is our forum dying? Where is everyone? I know it's the holidays, but it's been going down hill for some time. I read the MRC reviews, so I know there are lots of people buying planes. Why aren't they using the forum? There is a wealth of knowledge here. It's a shame to waste it!!! Doc

RE: Hobby Squawk dying?

Originally posted by doctormike
    Is our forum dying? Where is everyone? I know it's the holidays, but it's been going down hill for some time. I read the MRC reviews, so I know there are lots of people buying planes. Why aren't they using the forum? There is a wealth of knowledge here. It's a shame to waste it!!! Doc
    I've thought/noticed that too... And my thoughts was that maybe alot of people are like me...The flying season has pretty much ended here in the upper midwest....Holidays. As far as purchases, i purchase alot of items for winter projects this time of the year, to include a new plane(FW F-86 80mm).  I know myself, during the flying season. I'm more active sharing my flight experiences of the week. And others are flying too, which generates more activity here on the forum..So thinking it's a combination of these things, that is reflected by activity slowing down on the forum.
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I think your right Lon. With the onslaught of winter there has been less flying and less things to share on the forum. I still check out the forum daily but there hasn't been much for me to comment on. I too am trying to stay connected with the hobby with winter projects such as building/redoing 2 Dynam Corsairs. Long story how I ended up with 2...

Comment

Being an outlier on the gaussian curve myself I take another view. In the cold winter months I'm building. This is usually the time when I'm trying to solve issue with the models I plan on flying next flying season. As I'm looking for help I'm more likely to spend time on the forms during the winter months than during the nice flying weather. (I'd rather be flying than on the computer).

As far as the down turn on forums this is a universal observations. Social media sites like Facebook and others are the new hot hip, happening way to communicate with the world. Forums are so last year, those are dinosaur time lines on the web.

All the best,
        Konrad

Comment

I'm not trying to communicate with the world, I'm trying to communicate with fellow flyers. Hell, I came here FROM facebook. These forums will only grow with the interest of the hobby. Every serious flyer will seek information about it and thus bring them to a forum. Not a dinosaur, just a more direct form of information

Comment

Agreed,
            That is why I'm here. I knew little of the new generation of foam ARFs until I bought a Freewing Me 262 and Su-35 from MotionRC. Prior to these purchases I had a very low opinion of "all foam models" based on my experience with foam models in the 70's & 80's. Lanier Models comes to mind, plastic rain gutters for a fuselage, hot wire cut foam wing with shelf paper for skins.

The dinosaur comment is to the forum concept in general, given what else is out there as a way to communicate. It was given to try to explain why this and other forums are on the decline. I think that was Dr. Mikes question.

All the best,
            Konrad

Comment

What the hell is a Gaussian curve :)

Comment

Originally posted by :DCapt. Crunch
                What the hell is a Gaussian curve   :)
                :D
                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                  Commonly known as 'normal distribution' curve
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                    AKA: the bell curve.

Or in the vernacular an outlier is an Odd Ball!

But then we all are, grown men playing with toy airplanes. :)

All the best,
                    Konrad

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up...
                      [hr]
                      By the way..I don't think Doctor Mike would appreciate you calling them "Toys" But that's a whole other fun argument :)

Comment

We've beat that dead horse quite well on another thread. I suppose they are toys in the strictest sense of the word. I prefer to call the scale planes, "models", however. If I owned a full scale SU-26, I would, jokingly, refer to it as my toy. Konrad, bless his engineer heart, has a wealth of information for us. Don't be too hard on him. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
                          We've beat that dead horse quite well on another thread. I suppose they are toys in the strictest sense of the word. I prefer to call the scale planes, "models", however. If I owned a full scale SU-26, I would, jokingly, refer to it as my toy. Konrad, bless his engineer heart, has a wealth of information for us. Don't be too hard on him. Doc
                          Yes, I think we covered all the bases on that one. But now to make matters worse the FAA now thinks of our miniature aircraft (after all they obey all the rules of aerodynamics) as weapons! 

Now you guys know that engineers don't have a heart, or at least we don't use it. :cool: 
                          If you or anybody else has an issue with what I've posted lets hash (discuss, make arguments, whatever) it out. I'm sure someone will learn something new, and that might even be me.

All the best,
                          Konrad

Comment

Since you brought it up...I did take issue whith a post of yours in another thread. A guy asked a simple question (that apparently you knew the answer to) and you pretty much called him a thief. Its pretty bold of you to assume his intentions. If you didn't like his question, you could have simply moved on. I'm sure your not the only one who knows the answer to his question but seems you think if the answer got into the wrong hands, all hell was going to break loose. Its hard to get this forum to grow if people think they are going to get jumped on like that. MRC monitors this forum, and if they find something to their dislike, I'm sure they will deal with it in a more tactful way.

Your an electrical engineer, your smart, you've been in the hobby for years, I get it. But I find it sad that you don't have any couth to go with it.

And as far as wanting to know what a gaussian curve was...I was just being a smartass :)

Comment

I'm not a double E.

I thought that the question was dangerous as a direct answer could and would undermine MotionRC intellectual property (brand protection). So I was as much asking the op why and trying to put anybody else that might know the true source of the OEM on notice not to disclose.

If Motion RC wants to disclose this information then fine but let's not undermine their efforts to make an honest buck.

Not sure what your issue is with the 25 cent words like 'Gaussian curve'.

All the best,
                              Konrad

Comment

Now children! Go to your room and think about what you said!

Comment

Ok Here is my take on this from a newbie both to this forum and RC flying. I just started last Aug with a Pandora I picked up used and it had been purchased from MRC so that's where I went to find info on the plane and any spare parts I might (DID) need. From there I came here and have found good info here and have chatted with a couple of other nice pilots. I see the biggest difference in this site compared to a few others is (a) The time this site has been active,(b) That it seems to only cater to planes and other RC items that MRC sells. That's not a knock on them but, it does limit the sites activity. Maybe the reviews on MRC should be directed here to increase visibility. Ok Time out is over so come out of your rooms !! :D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by farmflyer
                                    Now children! Go to your room and think about what you said!
                                    Again not sure what the issue is. Capt. Crunch pointed out that he thought I was too rough with this post, and that's fair.
                                    http://www.hobbysquawk.com/Thread-Admiral-batteries--1968?pid=14870#pid14870

I also agree that I all BUT called the OP in that thread a thief, as I can't see how asking that question can be anything other than an attempt to undermine MotionRC (I'm not clairvoyant). The OP came back and clarified his position a bit. And I linked him to a post were I thought MotionRC addressed his question very well. The OP and I have had other exchanges in other threads on this forum since then.

Now there is the notion told by K-12 teachers that there are no dumb question. Now in the real world we know that just isn't so. Short of any other context the question actually looked dangerous (to MotionRC's sales).

BTW; As I haven't seen the contract with the OEM & MotionRC I can't say I "know" who the OEM is (or are). But by the physical description of the cells I'm 95% sure I know.

Originally posted by Iowa54
                                    Ok  Here is my take on this from a newbie both to this forum and RC flying.  I just started last Aug with a Pandora I picked up used and it had been purchased from MRC so that's where I went to find  info on the plane and any spare parts I might (DID) need.  From there I came here and have found good info here and have chatted with a couple of other nice pilots.  I see the biggest difference in this site compared to a few others is (a) The time this site has been active,(b) That it seems to only cater to planes and other RC items that MRC sells.   That's not a knock on them but, it does limit the sites activity.   Maybe  the reviews on MRC should be directed here to increase visibility.    Ok Time out is over so come out of your rooms !!    :D  :D  :D
                                    I'm happy to say this forum is driven by the membership. While it is a vendor forum they have kept a rather hands off approach. As to other items they have even asked for more input on other brands. I suspect that MotionRC uses this forum to gauge what the market is thinking and uses this data to further their sales offerings and customer support.

I like your idea of linking in our reviews of product to threads here at Hobby Squawk.

All the Best,
                                    Konrad

Comment

Hi guys!  Funny how great minds think alike, I was noticing the same thing.
                                      There could be a lot of reasons, some people just move on after awhile and that's a shame.
                                      Some people have had a 'serious' disagreement with someone else on the forum and chose not to participate and that too is a shame.
                                      I, frankly miss some of the old regulars and wish they'd show up again, but that's their choice.

So the rest of us that are left have to do our best to keep the Spirit of this forum going and remember what a great place it is/was and will be to socialize and learn.
                                      Hey, who knows, the next great motivator/participant/member of the forum may be reading this right now and deciding whether or not to join.

I owe a great deal to the is forum for the friends I've made and the information I've garnered, and hopefully passed on for the greater good of us all, its a big part of this hobby for me, especially through the nonflying months. 
                                      'Gaussian curve'?
                                      Hell no, mine's the
                                      'Grossian curve"

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

The wife calls my belly curves gross! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                        X