X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hobby Squawk dying?

I guess for myself I've become a little stagnant. No new planes in the hanger and no plans to add any soon. Due to family issues,weather,and work I haven't been flying much the last few months. I do keep up with the forum daily. I'm always learning something here that will help me to enjoy flying more. So let's keep it going. I really enjoy hearing from the newer guys they often bring a new perspective even to some of the old topics that have died off in earlier topics.

Comment

ANYWAY....Moving on with the topic of this thread..... I myself used to post fast and furiously but lately not so much. I agree it's probably because of the winter months and we're all building, or fixing, or BUYING! Unless I run into a big build issue I pretty much stay away from the forums. I currently have a few threads going on RCGroups. I have brought up several times about planes I have other that the ones Motion sells here on hobbysquawk but no one picks up on them or seems to care so I go over to RCGroups that is worldwide and I get tons of replies. I know this forum is on the Motion site but I thought it would cover other planes too...guess not so much. There seems to be a core group here so that probably keeps conversations down regarding non-Motion items.
      Addicted to planes!

Comment

I've noticed that the "modeling" subjects tent to stay on the topic of foam models, Hacker and Multiplex are mentioned.

On the forums I tend to look for technical and/or process solutions. That was what use to make RCG great in the 90's as E-Zone. We had technical discussions with the innovator of electric flight, guys like Keith Shaw, Steve Neu, Bob Boucher, Matt Orme. Then pictures came into the e-zone site and it quickly became a "look at what I've done", and a mutual admiration site and lost a lot of its innovative push. Then finally "Jim" changed the format from being a key conduit on the information highway to a site focused on B2B (his advertising space for their advertising dollars). That killed RCG as being a great site.

I really liked that MotionRC actually will give technical data when asked. For example I don't think many vendors would have posted this information for fear that some half wit would hold them to it. That is why I have all those caveat in my question.
        http://www.hobbysquawk.com/Thread-80mm-Rotor-Load?highlight=rotor+load

Here I try to encourage others to try to go outside their comfort zone with the hobby. I do this as expanded their skill sets. Now I have selfish reasons for this. I want to demonstrate to the vendors that there is a market for more advanced models and products. I find trainers boring and frustrating at the same time. They can't do what I ask of them, and they don't go where I point them, horrible type of model but necessary. I want to see more advanced products offered. The new Freewing 80mm and 90mm jets are a great step. I'd also like to see products in the vein of the more advanced Multiplex gliders. That is why you will see that my posts aren't "oh, thats nice" but rather how can it be pushed to the next level.

On the MotionRC product topic I tend to self sensor, focusing on their products because it is a vendor site. Much to my surprise MotionRC actually seems to encourage discussion of other brands. I know of no core group that is suppressing topics that are not MotionRC specific. It appears that motionRC uses this site as a tool to gauge the market place. So I think there is little or no effort by them to steer the conversation, as one would expect if it was a sales tool.

So I have to ask how old is this site that some of you can see trends?

All the best,
        Konrad

Comment

This forum is open for free discussion of any kind of RC product, not just products which Motion RC sells. Hobbysquawk is a community to interact with other pilots, whether they're Motion RC customers or not --everyone and all topics are welcome! Motion RC staff do browse this forum as time allows, but the real strength of any forum is in the participation of its registered users --that's you!

Forums function both as "living" platforms for active discussion about a topic, and as "static" repositories for published knowledge. The latter component is increasingly being fulfilled by our Knowledgebase (www.motionrc.com/knowledgebase), which contains many articles covering topics which normally would be discussed in a forum like Hobbysquawk. These two resources work in partnership with each other. Hobbysquawk doesn't have a massively vibrant Beginner section asking beginner questions, for example, because the Knowledgebase already contains a "Beginner Guides" section with 11 extensive articles. When people call in and ask for beginner tips, or gyro setup questions, our technicians recommend visiting both the Forum and the Knowledgebase. Based on internal traffic data we can see that many go to the Knowledgebase. At the end of the day, people seeking information obtain that information at either resource, and that is the shared purpose of both.

There are Pros and Cons of both a Forum and a Knowledgebase. We offer both to maximize access to information. Of course the advantage of a Forum is that one can engage his/her peers in active conversation, offering personal experiences, discussing differing opinions or preferences, encouraging one another, teaching one another, learning from one another, etc. So to all of you here, thanks for contributing to that global conversation!
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
            This forum is open for free discussion of any kind of RC product, not just products which Motion RC sells. Hobbysquawk is a community to interact with other pilots, whether they're Motion RC customers or not --everyone and all topics are welcome! Motion RC staff do browse this forum as time allows, but the real strength of any forum is in the participation of its registered users --that's you!

Forums function both as "living" platforms for active discussion about a topic, and as "static" repositories for published knowledge. The latter component is increasingly being fulfilled by our Knowledgebase (www.motionrc.com/knowledgebase), which contains many articles covering topics which normally would be discussed in a forum like Hobbysquawk. These two resources work in partnership with each other. Hobbysquawk doesn't have a massively vibrant Beginner section asking beginner questions, for example, because the Knowledgebase already contains a "Beginner Guides" section with 11 extensive articles. When people call in and ask for beginner tips, or gyro setup questions, our technicians recommend visiting both the Forum and the Knowledgebase. Based on internal traffic data we can see that many go to the Knowledgebase. At the end of the day, people seeking information obtain that information at either resource, and that is the shared purpose of both.  

There are Pros and Cons of both a Forum and a Knowledgebase. We offer both to maximize access to information. Of course the advantage of a Forum is that one can engage his/her peers in active conversation, offering personal experiences, discussing differing opinions or preferences, encouraging one another, teaching one another, learning from one another, etc. So to all of you here, thanks for contributing to that global conversation!
            Well said Alpha, I couldn't agree more.

Martin.

Comment

I will be adding my questions to this site when I have them. I added a AT-6 Texan and a Flyzone Beaver to my little hanger from black Friday sales.
              I have the Texan assembled and CG'ed and I'm slowly working on the Beaver. I need to change the plug on the ESC or just change the whole ESC out and add a different receiver. So when I'm getting ready to maiden them I'll be asking a few questions I'm sure. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad
                The wife calls my belly curves gross! :-)
                I gotta admit, that was pretty good Lol

I can also relate! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                  I gotta admit, that was pretty good Lol

I can also relate! ;)
                  Nice to know I'm not alone !! :D

Comment

I believe one must have a heart in order to make a good self deprivating joke. You just proved yourself wrong about engineers! :D Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                      What the hell is a Gaussian curve   :)
                      Hahahaha!!!!!!! (I have no clue either!)
                      Lauren

Comment

Thanks but lets keep it on the down low.
                        I thought calling myself an "outlier on the gaussian curve" (AKA odd ball) was also a good self deprecating joke. So my statement about engineers was false from the very beginning
                        We engineers also like to help as much as possible with actual data (facts). Now I do try to keep the math out of these forums.
                        Originally posted by doctormike
                         I believe one must have a heart in order to make a good self deprivating joke. You just proved yourself wrong about engineers! :D Doc

Comment

Thanks but lets keep it on the down low.
                          I thought calling myself an "outlier on the gaussian curve" (AKA odd ball) was also a  good self deprecating joke. So my statement about engineers was false from the very beginning
                          We engineers also like to help as much as possible with actual data (facts).  Now I do try to keep the math out of these forums.

Originally posted by doctormike
                          [hr]
                          Yeah, the math pretty much goes over my head, however, I'm pretty much of a " shade tree engineer" If I do say so. Jimmy Weddel laid out one of the more superior 1930 racing planes with chalk on the shop floor! He drew it out, erased it, drew it again, over and over untill he stood back and said " That looks good, let's build it" Doc

Comment

One thing we can do as maybe the aka: older, possibly more experienced and often but not always :) more hands on knowledgeable. Is to answer the newbie/beginner in a less technical manner or maybe I should say, dont answer like a know it all. I do know this is not always done on purpose, its just a habit that maybe alot of us need to stop and think about our responses from a different perspective.

I use to do reviews on RCU and did multiple new product builds and lots of posting on RCG. I ended up getting personally attacked because I was receiving free or discounted items to review or build and unknown to me one of the suppliers involved was a crook :( ..... I didnt post or do anything on the forums for around 4 yrs and just started posting some just recently on RCG and yet again the self proclaimed (know it all) are at it again. To me this is whats ruining the forums. Lets discuss not argue, lets keep up the joking and picking on each other and not out right shoot down anothers opinion without doing it respectfully with a few :) added in....

I just had my 50th anniversary of flying RC. Yes I been there and done that ! But I by no means know it all. But I do feel I have a wealth of knowledge and lots of hands on especially with my electronics background and having been one of the prototype testers and designers of alot the foamies we are now flying the advanced versions of. We need to realize and appreciate the fact that we are lucky to be into RC at this stage, its amazing how far we come BABY :)

I am planning on doing a couple how to threads on this forum, like IE: how to make your own capbank for less than purchasing one. This is for those who are needing to add some length to there esc lipo leads, which is something that does happen often. Also how and where to add a capbank and what size caps etc to use according to application...

Lets keep this nice forum going and have fun y'all...happy flyn and all the best in this great new year.... DJ
                            FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                            DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                            Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                            J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Originally posted by olwarbirds
                              One thing we can do as maybe the aka: older, possibly more experienced and often but not always :) more hands on knowledgeable. Is to answer the newbie/beginner in a less technical manner or maybe I should say, dont answer like a know it all. I do know this is not always done on purpose, its just a habit that maybe alot of us need to stop and think about our responses from a different perspective.

I use to do reviews on RCU and did multiple new product builds and lots of posting on RCG. I ended up getting personally attacked because I was receiving free or discounted items to review or build and unknown to me one of the suppliers involved was a crook :( ..... I didnt post or do anything on the forums for around 4 yrs and just started posting some just recently on RCG and yet again the self proclaimed (know it all) are at it again. To me this is whats ruining the forums. Lets discuss not argue, lets keep up the joking and picking on each other and not out right shoot down anothers opinion without doing it respectfully with a few :) added in....

I just had my 50th anniversary of flying RC. Yes I been there and done that ! But I by no means know it all. But I do feel I have a wealth of knowledge and lots of hands on especially with my electronics background and having been one of the prototype testers and designers of alot the foamies we are now flying the advanced versions of. We need to realize and appreciate the fact that we are lucky to be into RC at this stage, its amazing how far we come BABY :)

I am planning on doing a couple how to threads on this forum, like IE: how to make your own capbank for less than purchasing one. This is for those who are needing to add some length to there esc lipo leads, which is something that does happen often. Also how and where to add a capbank and what size caps etc to use according to application...

Lets keep this nice forum going and have fun y'all...happy flyn and all the best in this great new year.... DJ
                              I'm more like Sgt. Schulz on the old Hogans Heroes... "I know nothink!".... ;)
                              Lauren

Comment

Tks Lauren, hahaha ....dang I actually remember that line :) DJ

Comment

No matter how you phrase somethings, somebody WILL take offense, particularly when you (I) don't acknowledge their stance. I try to not say that XYZ is wrong or in error, well not unless it is dangerous. MY post style is to be hard to the facts. I try to give reference material so that the OP and others can research to the extent necessary to answer their own question. Again this information is not given to make others look like fools. Now the beauty of the forums is that the "teacher" can ask questions of the "student" ether to get a better understanding of the knowledge base of his audience or to ask for relevant data that was not provided in the first place. To many this looks like a put down or an attempt to make somebody look stupid. It is not, it is an attempt to accurately access the question.

Now I agree that with mathematics most of these technical questions can be answered very concisely and with a better understanding as to how the answer can be applied elsewhere. But far too many have been scared off by mathematics  as a result of trauma with arithmetic they suffered in the USA primary school system, I try to avoid mathematical answers.

As to RCG they (the management) have lost all credibility when it come to posted review. While E-Zone was a great source of electrical knowledge  for the RC electrical movement in the 90's. Jim through that away in favor of supporting his sponsorship base. This is much the same fault leveled at the dead tree press. In that the truth of a product could not be discussed as the advertisers would demand that the review be pulled. I've written review articles for FlyRC and MAN and can tell you first hand of this pressure. RCG was effective at throttling my input on subjects that I had the technical expertise as a machinist,manufacturing engineer, process engineer, engine (turbine) performance engineer, and critical team member of nationally held titles at the AMA NATS. This was because I was effective at showing the weakness in the material and process used by one of their largest advertiser at the time. RCGroups is a disreputable organization not just because of their protection of their advertising base. But also they (RCG) don't pay for editorial input (unlike the dead tree press) yet they want the editors to be less than fully honest, not dishonest but not honest. I would highly recommend that anyone looking for and wanting to post factual information look elsewhere, other than RCG.

Much to my surprise MotionRC does not throttle or manipulate the discussion here on Hobby Squawk about the products they sell. They have even posted less than stellar reviews on their sales page. Hats off to the guys at MotionRC for this commitment to the truth.

I'll start the idea of having the end user modifying the ESC input caps. I show how I splice the input leads to minimize the dimensional change in the wire diameter and also how to splice in the caps. These I got from the  great ESC OEM Schulze.

Long Live Hobby Squawk!

Konrad
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Konrad, tks and well said brother...I agree totally and I too respect motion for not eliminating negative reviews here and on there website. Wow Schulze, I used them for years in very high performance applications, mostly Fast Electric rc boats. Sure wish they were still available I had amazing results using them. I am very familiar with you and what you've done, I do believe we use to chat time to time on the mentioned not so great now forums, as I was very involved in starting EDF threads. Yes the math does get some very confused and thats why I try to keep it a bit more easier for the not so educated in electronics or electrical theory.

Very cool, the old brass tube trick. I do remember that one. I definately want you and many others to join in on a how to series thread I am working on starting here. I feel its gong to be alot of fun and loads of info for the new and oldtimers like us :) ...I am always open to a new way of doing something...all the best and happy flyn my friend... DJ

Comment

Let me say welcome.

Yes, RCGroups (AKA E-Zone) was a great stop along the information highway.

I think these technical how to's should be framed so that MotionRC could integrate them in to their knowledge base. What do you think? Maybe MotionRC can give some input on this.

Yep, a lot has changed since the early to mid 80's when I escaped the 7cell trap. Now I will say that with electrics there really is no way to avoid mathematics and accurately convey the technical information often craved by the poster. But unless asked for detailed explanation, I too try to leave it out of my posts.

All the best,
                                      Konrad
                                      [hr]
                                      Originally posted by Flygirl
                                      I'm more like Sgt. Schulz on the old Hogans Heroes... "I know nothink!".... ;)
                                      What often goes for more "Guess Culture" than fact in these forums I think another Sgt. Schulz saying comes to mind "Positively, absolutely maybe?". Not that I don't make mistakes or guess, I do, usually as a result of my poor reading of the question originally.

All the best,
                                      Konrad

Comment

Correction:
                                        The brass coupler idea came to me from AVEOX. Another long gone pioneer of model electric flight, well the brushless motor and their ESC.

I was pleasantly surprised to see them as an OEM on the latest full size transport, the 787

All the best,
                                        Konrad

Comment

Konrad, that's a great tip, I'd encourage you to bundle it into a new post with your pictures, and I'll reference it in our Knowledgebase. Our members are passionate and dedicated, and we're grateful to spread their knowledge to anyone/everyone who can benefit.
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X