First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hobby Squawk dying?

Originally posted by Flygirl
    Originally posted by olwarbirds
    One thing we can do as maybe the aka: older, possibly more experienced and often but not always :) more hands on knowledgeable. Is to answer the newbie/beginner in a less technical manner or maybe I should say, dont answer like a know it all. I do know this is not always done on purpose, its just a habit that maybe alot of us need to stop and think about our responses from a different perspective.

I use to do reviews on RCU and did multiple new product builds and lots of posting on RCG. I ended up getting personally attacked because I was receiving free or discounted items to review or build and unknown to me one of the suppliers involved was a crook :( ..... I didnt post or do anything on the forums for around 4 yrs and just started posting some just recently on RCG and yet again the self proclaimed (know it all) are at it again. To me this is whats ruining the forums. Lets discuss not argue, lets keep up the joking and picking on each other and not out right shoot down anothers opinion without doing it respectfully with a few :) added in....

I just had my 50th anniversary of flying RC. Yes I been there and done that ! But I by no means know it all. But I do feel I have a wealth of knowledge and lots of hands on especially with my electronics background and having been one of the prototype testers and designers of alot the foamies we are now flying the advanced versions of. We need to realize and appreciate the fact that we are lucky to be into RC at this stage, its amazing how far we come BABY :)

I am planning on doing a couple how to threads on this forum, like IE: how to make your own capbank for less than purchasing one. This is for those who are needing to add some length to there esc lipo leads, which is something that does happen often. Also how and where to add a capbank and what size caps etc to use according to application...

Lets keep this nice forum going and have fun y'all...happy flyn and all the best in this great new year.... DJ
    I'm more like Sgt. Schulz on the old Hogans Heroes... "I know nothink!".... ;)
    olwarbirds... Very well said!!! Thanks, Doc
    [hr]
    WOW!!! Things are picking up around here! I was concerned for a while. :D Doc

Comment

Alpha, brother thats very cool...as you can derive from Konrad and myself conversation, we were talking about exactly this idea. I have often seen others mentioning adding length to their lipo lead, but not mentioning or knowing that if they do this there is a need to do one more step. IE: add caps or do like Konrad showed.

Konrad, I also remember Aveox. Your bringing back alot of memories. Maybe with your picture an explanation as to why do this. I can post a pic of a very simple capbank to make and source the components and how to wire inline without having to mess with the caps already on the ESC. I do feel alot of our fellow flyers seriously shy away from messing with esc's...DJ
      [hr]
      Doc, tks brother... I felt your concern, so I say lets do something about it.....DJ
      FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
      DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
      Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
      J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

I guess I could do a pictorial how to. As you know these take time and effort. I thought I'd let you take lead on this. 

While I have cautioned many on adding the wire length to the battery side of the esc even when testing (using a break in meter). I haven't gone into too much detail about the need to use low ESR caps or the how and whys ripple current stresses the caps. 

I (we) need to be aware that this forum is not a technical journal. Some fear that if we get too technical we will intimidate others. So this kind of topic is fraught with danger for the knowledgeable types. On the other hand the socialites can just ignore the technical babel until they need it. :(

Messing with ESC's goes a long way from just adding caps,  In my youth I must have been too ignorant ;) to know not to do this. From an article in Model Aviation I built the Jomar JM-1 ESC, with add on safety feature as published in Model Builder. I also built from a Jomar kit the JM-4. 

I assume you and I both built one or more Ace Silver Seven Tx and servos. Oh the good old days, well maybe not. :dodgy:

All the best,
        Konrad
        Attached Files

Comment

My first plane was a little Cox 1/2A .049 sort of Cherokee looking thing that had one channel, rudder. The rudder just flapped back and forth constantly until you moved the transmitter stick (it had to have been a reed radio I guess) then it would slam to the left or the right. To loose altitude you put it in a steep turn. Needless to say, it flew once. LOL! It did fly though! I went back to free flight after that.... ;)

Never built a transmitter... I didn't know there were kits. Was that around the early 70's?
          Lauren

Comment

Did you have to wind up the rubber band for the escapement? To loop we would spin in a dive to gain speed then neutralize the rudder. If you had built up enough speed the model would loop.

As a teenager I flew single channel RC well into the late 70's, with other folks hand me downs (read crashed junk)!

Royal Electronic, Heath Kit, and Ace RC all had radio and servo kits.

Comment

Lauren, yes in the 60's into the 70's we were building radios from kits. The radios were actually like mini HAM hand held sets. Back when I first took an interest in RC due to my best friend and his dad, you had to have a HAM operators license to fly rc. I dont remember the manufacturers name for the kits, but I do remember the first built radio I purchased, if I am remembering correctly was made by a company called Cirrus. These were very heavy and cumbersome units and not that reliable. Probable one of the many reasons my interest migrated more to FF and CL for alot of years. I remember that cox plane, it was made out of a combination of foam/plastic and hardwood firewall and yeah its flight life was very short :) if you could get it airborne hahaha. Great memories happening here.... DJ
              FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
              DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
              Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
              J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Working...
              X