X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old kit, New Tech ver 2.0

While I have not begun crunching any numbers yet, I did start whittling on the tree in a box. It’s the Ryan STA from Sig. She will be all electric and functional flaps. Probably will add AS3X as I really like the results in other aircraft. While the GF wants the polished aluminum civil finish, I’m wanting to go in the direction of the PT-16.

While the glue dries on the symmetrical fuselage sides, trying to figure out:

wing mounted servos
    scale hinge mounting for flight surfaces and actuators

strange the fuselage is built from outside inward.

Comment

Wing mounted servos go appx where the bellcrank plates would be when using a single centered servo.

Back when some of these kits were designed, the cost of a "standard" (cheap) servo was about the same as 30 hours minimum wage. Also the standard servo was more than the Futaba S3003 (with lower performance). So they didn't want to add the cost and weight of another servo if they could reasonably avoid it.

Also the older RC aircraft designs were built heavier to handle some of the bumps that came with the slower and less precise control systems

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
        Wing mounted servos go appx where the bellcrank plates would be when using a single centered servo.

Back when some of these kits were designed, the cost of a "standard" (cheap) servo was about the same as 30 hours minimum wage. Also the standard servo was more than the Futaba S3003 (with lower performance). So they didn't want to add the cost and weight of another servo if they could reasonably avoid it.

Also the older RC aircraft designs were built heavier to handle some of the bumps that came with the slower and less precise control systems
        Placement is the easy part -plumbing is a different animal.
        Yah, back in the 80’s when I first got into the hobby, cost made it completely out of my range except for all but the simplest entry level or used hand me downs.
        But as they say, “...hang around the barber shop and you’’re going to get a haircut”.
        Anyway converting these old kits is a pleasure - all the Old build challenge and new tech makes em’ lighter and more dependable. Plus now I have my own shop!
        This is actually my first R/C Resto-modded with new covering, hinges and electric everything. Bought in 1987? Flew 3 flights with it yesterday.
        Used to be covered with the fabric / dope fuse and some ugly see through monokote. Even the gear got re-fab.

Comment

It’s getting serious

Comment

The fuselage takes shape and while the box dries, I got busy with getting formers ready. So for you guys that hate cutting ‘die crushed’ parts, sand the back of the sheets until the outline begins to appear and then carefully push them through. I they resist, sand a little more. They will literally fall out with no cutting (almost) necessary. Orbital with 150 grit works great, but I use a block sometimes when only a few are needed.

Comment

Yes! And I like it! I built a topflite T34 with a pocket knife and a dremel. That was a pain! I only wished I actually knew how to cover a plane. It looked horrid, but it did fly really well, and probably still would if I got it out to fly again.LOL

Comment

Then ya stack the identical parts and sand them to match all around - they come out super straight!

Comment

Exactly!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	133970Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	133968 More progress:

Comment

Lower fuselage formers, stringers, and fillers for wing saddle done.

Comment

Right on! Looking good brother!

Comment

Time to start fitting the pieces together and getting some control surfaces with servo and linkages. The saddle cut and rough fit showed no surprises. Since the plans do have provisions for nylon wing bolts I’ll keep that detail in, but Hitec wing mount servos for aileron and flaps are in order. Considering a Power 60 eFlite.

Comment

Love building from the plans! My first real build was a SIG Kadet. 80’s. Good job!

Comment

Couple more WIP pic’s. Time to make build decisions for removable cockpit / battery and servo access. I’ll likely go with push rods from cockpit servo mount to keep everything closer to CG.

Comment

Actuually should have decided a little earlier and doubled (but not glued together) formers so all you had to do was cut stringers and pop the hatch off.
                                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                  Actuually should have decided a little earlier and doubled (but not glued together) formers so all you had to do was cut stringers and pop the hatch off.
                                  Almost went that route, but glad I didn’t. Extra formers are ready and I found the manual for Phoenix Models ARF version of the Ryan.

Comment

It’s slow going now. The wing has to be finished before I can finish sheeting the fuselage and there is a lot of sleuthing to find out what the previous builder did and didn’t do on the wing. One half looked farther along than the other, but there were some things which had not been done on it - but were done on the other. So I found a point where they reached in the instructions but am having to look 5 steps ahead and 5 backward as I go and most of what I am doing is also changing the build to accommodate better hardware, lighter and smaller electronics and doing away with a lot of bent wire pushrods.
                                    That said, here’s what I did get through:
                                    Aileron and flaps got fitted and hinges tested great with a mock up design.
                                    Servo trays for the aileron and flaps are cut and ready to install.
                                    The wing halves have been fitted together and the landing gear blocking are fitted for the right wing.
                                    Fuselage is fully framed from firewall to tail.

Comment

TTT with an update on the Ryan STA.
                                      Massaging the wing started by the previous owner, nothing that couldn’t be fixed, but I think the aileron hinging may have been the breaking point for the builder.
                                      As of today, both ailerons are hinged, finely shaped, and smoothly operating. So I will review progress before I add the sheeting, but I think only hard mounts for the flying wires are all that remains.

Comment

Nice! Looks good to me:Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                        X