X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam airplane question

What can be done to preserve the appearance of a new foam airplane? I've been in the hobby for a long time and always flew balsa/monokote or balsa/glass/painted models. With those planes, you could transport them without worrying about dents, dings and paint coming off for the most part. Is there anything that can be done to EPO planes to at least keep them from losing paint while changing batteries? I like the advantage of almost zero build time and the pricing, just want to be able to keep them looking nice long term. Thanks in advance!

Minwax Polycryllic-brush it or spray. I just did all of mine with a quart and have plenty remain.
    Not the Cub, but both the T6 and the PT17. Gives a nice sheen and minimizes dings, etc.

Comment

Oops, in all fairness Varthane makes a good WB sealer also! Stay away from spray cans and I must admit results from a good bristle brush are hard to beat.

Comment

The problem with spray cans is the propellant used to disperse the product,some can have a bad effect on foam. I always use a foam brush and minimum three coats with Varathane or Minwax, the results are excellent.

Comment

yup yup... ^^^ ...can't agree more with what they said. :Cool:
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

One of the good things about both Minwax and/or Varthane is depending on the type of finish you're looking for, you have that option. Matte or Satin will keep the shine down. But if you're looking for shiny, semi-gloss or gloss is available. One other thing to consider, for parts that comes off on a regular basis like battery compartment hatch, cockpit hatches should be done by themselves so they won't get sealed shut when dry. But as stated earlier by F22trainer and boomer108, best to stay with brush at least for the first two or three coats, after that you may be able to experiment with spray. By that time you should be protected enough from spray chemicals ...
            Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

Awesome responses, thanks for the advice y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
                The problem with spray cans is the propellant used to disperse the product,some can have a bad effect on foam. I always use a foam brush and minimum three coats with Varathane or Minwax, the results are excellent.
                You can avoid the propellant issue by using the water based formulas . I always airbrush my planes with water based MinWax. It dries fast, is easy to clean up and looks great whether it is gloss, satin or matte.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate View Post

You can avoid the propellant issue by using the water based formulas . I always airbrush my planes with water based MinWax. It dries fast, is easy to clean up and looks great whether it is gloss, satin or matte.

Bob
                  Do you have to tape the model better for spraying or is the prep about the same?

Comment

Originally posted by 270win View Post

Do you have to tape the model better for spraying or is the prep about the same?
                    When I use tape, I use the yellow Frog tape and stick it to my shirt or pants a couple of times. Then I paint. I peel the tape off slowly and horizontally. I never lift it 90 degrees from the painted surface. I peel it slowly back over itself and have had good luck with no peeling.

For prep prior to painting, I clean the plane with de-natured alcohol to remove and dust or fingerprints and oil from hands.I do not do any sanding normally. I hope this answers your question.

Bob

Comment

I have also noticed that some of my older models are beginning to yellow. These are models that I have not yet had a chance to coat with water based sealer. I may have to repaint them before I brush on my sealer. The old parkzone SuperCub S and the Icon are especially prone to yellowing.

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate View Post

When I use tape, I use the yellow Frog tape and stick it to my shirt or pants a couple of times. Then I paint. I peel the tape off slowly and horizontally. I never lift it 90 degrees from the painted surface. I peel it slowly back over itself and have had good luck with no peeling.

For prep prior to painting, I clean the plane with de-natured alcohol to remove and dust or fingerprints and oil from hands.I do not do any sanding normally. I hope this answers your question.

Bob
                        Yep, that's what I was asking. I'm doing mine this week. Thanks!

Comment

We can recommend EPO aircraft epoxy paint.

Comment

The newest way not to let the frogtape peal paint is to wipe what you are taping with baby powder. I was recommended this by someone on the jet threads and believe me when I say "it works" No pealing. You don't even need to pre stick to your pants. The powder is just wiped on and then off. Then tape. Then paint. Then peal the tape slowly. No pealing of the paint below. Super easy. Any powder you cant even see when your doing it, but the residual must do something as it is crazy hard to screw it up.
                            Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X