Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guides & Info for Beginners

Welcome to the world of RC flying!!

Hopefully a mod will sticky this thread ;)

As this is the Beginner Q&A area, let's get a thread going with information on how to get started in hobby! kind of a "which I had known this/done this when I started" kind of thing. I'll kick us off:

I would HIGHLY recommend you watch the following web-series:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiN...1vn-sjBGOkJFHV (if this link doesn't work, look up "Flite Test Beginner Series" on YouTube)

This will get you into the terminology & basic understand of how an airplane works, as well as the basic components of an RC model. It will also give you a How-To tutorial of starting from scratch learning how to fly! GREAT group of people, and wonderful information!

Also, get with the AMA!
    The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a nonprofit community of enthusiasts who come together to celebrate model aviation.

This is another great resource, and will provide the do's & don'ts of RC flying. There are rules for flying, and you can get yourself in trouble if you don't follow them!
    They also have a list of clubs in your area that you can get together with

Hope this gets you started! Any other veterans want to chime in?? :D

Originally posted by rtwatkins View Post
    Welcome to the world of RC flying!!

Hopefully a mod will sticky this thread ;)

As this is the Beginner Q&A area, let's get a thread going with information on how to get started in hobby! kind of a "which I had known this/done this when I started" kind of thing. I'll kick us off:

I would HIGHLY recommend you watch the following web-series:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiN...1vn-sjBGOkJFHV (if this link doesn't work, look up "Flite Test Beginner Series" on YouTube)

This will get you into the terminology & basic understand of how an airplane works, as well as the basic components of an RC model. It will also give you a How-To tutorial of starting from scratch learning how to fly! GREAT group of people, and wonderful information!

Also, get with the AMA!
    The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a nonprofit community of enthusiasts who come together to celebrate model aviation.

This is another great resource, and will provide the do's & don'ts of RC flying. There are rules for flying, and you can get yourself in trouble if you don't follow them!
    They also have a list of clubs in your area that you can get together with

Hope this gets you started! Any other veterans want to chime in?? :D

There is so much that I have been able to learn here on the different aspects of RC, except for one thing and maybe it's because I may be overlooking something. What is the basic formula for putting together the proper power system. Where can I go to find out what motor will fit into certain plane frames and how to chose the right components to go together?

Most places I go to, sounds like - "blah, blah, blah, kv, blah, blah, blah, volts and amps and blah, blah, blah. :Confused:

What I need is advice for idiots ...
    Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

Originally posted by mcriley2 View Post

There is so much that I have been able to learn here on the different aspects of RC, except for one thing and maybe it's because I may be overlooking something. What is the basic formula for putting together the proper power system. Where can I go to find out what motor will fit into certain plane frames and how to chose the right components to go together?

Most places I go to, sounds like - "blah, blah, blah, kv, blah, blah, blah, volts and amps and blah, blah, blah. :Confused:

What I need is advice for idiots ...
      There is no general "cookbook" on power systems for idiots.
      Your best advise as far the forums are concerned has been from threads related to a specific airframe..
      There is really only one fundamental "formula" when it comes to power systems and it is not even a formula but more a general "rule of thumb".
      It is a general power guideline known as the Watts per Pound Rule.
      Hope this helps get ya started in the right direction. ;)
      Best regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

There is a general correlation of power:weight to aim for when seeking certain performance levels.

Low performance, marginal for RC flight is appx 0.3:1 power:weight. At this low level rising from ground might require a headwind, but a modest rate of climb is possible. The only way to do aerobatics is to trade altitude for airspeed.

Trainer level performance is app .75:1 power:weight. This is easily enough for takeoff and should normally be capable of a loop from level flight.

Sport aerobatic performance (ability to perform several maneuvers in a row) require 1ppx 1.2:1 to 1.75:1 power to weight.

3D aerobatics requires 2:1 for vertical acceleration out of a hover. More power is almost enough...

For EDF, you need 1.5 X as much power:weight for the same performance as a conventional prop.

100 watts per pound is fairly close to 1:1 power:weight, with appropriate propeller choice.

Then we get into determining which propeller....
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
        X