Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i make my plane level itself?

hai everyone

my name is astin, i have been in love with flight since forever and i like flying in planes too. i have lost so many drones but now i dont lose them anymore because i am better at flying them. i also built a drone. my dad baught the body and the motors and the escs and the receiver and also the computer which we had to connect to the computer and then put it all together and it flew! but i went back to the beach and was flying and the battery was low so the drone turned off and it almost landed on someone who was asleep!!! so now my dad says i cant fly drones anymore he thinks they are dangerous

now i am wana fly planes because they are safer and harder to fly which i like. planes can fly in the air longer to which i like

i have made a little rc fpv tank robot in the past with my dad and arduino so i kinda know programming a little

i hope that some day i can build a thousand planes that all fly themselves and maybe they can spy or protect people or fight bad drones out of the sky so my plan is below

1. get good at building foam planes
    2. get good at flying them
    3. add lights
    4. add fpv and get good at flying with it
    5. make it go to the clouds
    6. add arduino and make the plane be able to level it self when i let off the control
    7. add gps
    8. make the plan take off on its own and fly the gps route i set
    9. make it land on its own
    10, make it not run into stuff because it can see them
    11. make it so lots of planes can follow eachother

after all those are done then i think i can do lots of fun stuff like add heat camera and guns or other stuff to kill drones

i tried to make like 3 planes so far but they always crash and break but actually now i got a working airframe that works with 3 channels but im still not very good at flying it so thats why i am on step 2 right now tho actually i did add lights too but its sitll really hard to fly. now i wil practice a lot flying it and then add fpv so that i can fly into the clouds!!!!

do you guys have any advice on how i can make my plane level itself out automatically with as little extra weight as possible? i would wish to not use arduino for longer because it adds so much weight and also needs a power board and more stuff

THANK YOU!!!!!

astin

Welcome to Hobbysquawk puppygirl. For flying level there's a few things to consider. The proper center of gravity (cg) will help. It's the balancing point of your plane. The cg is generally specified by the plane manufacturer. You can balance the plane by sliding the lipo battery back or forth. Use your fingertips to balance the plane on. When your plane is balanced make sure the control surfaces are flush to one another. You don't want one aileron upward and the other downward. Give the plane a toss against the wind with no motor power and have somebody catch it. If it floats in the air, then that's good. You may have to make corrections, by sliding the battery back or forth. Your plane should fly straight and level. It may need some trimming in the air. Without adding very much weight, a gyro is something to consider as well. It takes a lot of practice and patience to do this hobby. Hope this helps. Let us know how you do.

Comment

What is "arduino"?
      Getting any RC aircraft to fly level on its own, be they multicopter or airplane or helicopter, requires some kind of flight controller. That flight controller can be as simple as a gyro with leveling capabilities or as complicated as a GPS supported position fixing device, which can double as "self leveling" when requested. Some will even limit the bank, pitch and yaw angles to restrict the flight envelope to a "safer" window.
      It's admirable that you are building all these yourself, but you might learn a lot if you went out and bought a pre-made foam plane like one of the Horizon Hobby BNF (Bind N Fly) planes with built in gyros, geo fencing, and "SAFE" modes. Some even had auto landing. Once you come to a good understanding of this plane, you can then do more when building your own.
      As for drones being more dangerous, that's a matter of opinion. Both can be equally dangerous in terms of doing bodily harm and property damage. I don't know where you live but equipping a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) with heat cameras and guns may be extremely illegal and subject to heavy fines and government investigation.

Comment

If u are flying a conventional model measure along the chord length of the wing. U want the balance point to be a mark made at the forward one third of the chord length. Example:
        chord length is 6 inches. Place a mark at two inches from the leading edge of the wing. This is the balance point.. To make the model self leveling u must increase the wing dihedral. This is the angle between the wing halves. Also the wing must be at the top of the fuselage. Place the heavy components of the model at the bottom of the fuselage. Such as receivr batt etc. To increase self leveling increase dihedral breaks. A wing with 2 dihedral breaks is much more stable than one with one dihedral break. 3 dihedral breaks are more stable than 2. The higher the wing sets above the fuselage the more stable and self leveling the model becomes.

Comment

Dihedral will self level (to a certain extent) on the roll axis. Dihedral will do little to self level on the pitch axis. If you roll a plane with high dihedral and let go of the sticks, it will self level. If you dive the same plane and let go of the sticks, it will likely keep going. Done it with many of my sailplanes.

Comment

The F14 Tomcat can change it's dihedral? If the wings sweep forward to back?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
              The F14 Tomcat can change it's dihedral? If the wings sweep forward to back?
              That's not dihedral on the F-14. That's just going from standard wing to a delta type of wing. "Dihedral" is when there's a different angle of the wing tips from the rest of the wing like the curl in a Radian sailplane wing or the heavily angle UP look of some trainer planes - kinda like a bird with it's wings at the top and about to do the down stroke (or flap). Some sailplanes and trainer planes can have multiple angles (or bends) as the wing proceeds to the tip.

Take a look at these for dihedral ..................... http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...1052&hf_type=C

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7515C281-C541-4AA8-82B7-C1B788801014.jpeg
Views:	735
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	197119 Polyhedral

Comment

Working...
                X