X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FAA guidelines will limit all RC aircraft to 400ft ceiling

I received the message below on Monday from the AMA. Please send the link in the second paragraph to as many friends and fellow RC flyers as possible so we have a fighting chance to block this proposal.

--------- Start of Message ----------

We need your assistance in an urgent matter. Late last week, the FAA unexpectedly informed us that, contrary to earlier commitments to AMA, the agency is planning to limit all recreational model aircraft operations to 400 feet in controlled airspace – with no exceptions. Additionally, the FAA is proposing restrictions in uncontrolled airspace to altitudes that could present safety issues as well as limit some model aircraft operations altogether. We were stunned by this proposal and are pushing back, but we need your help.

We urge you to send a letter to your elected representatives in Congress and ask them to contact the FAA on this critical issue. Please visit www.modelaircraft.org/higher-flight to contact your representative.

Congress specifically granted the FAA the flexibility to allow operations over 400 feet if safety would not be affected. The FAA has not provided AMA with any data that proves that our operations are a safety risk. As you know, our model aircraft operations do not pose any safety or security risk to local airports or aircraft. The FAA needs to honor the Congressional directive to work with AMA on these issues.

Because of the negative impact on so many AMA members and clubs, we are going to fight this proposal with every resource at our disposal. You, our members, are our best resource.

To have the maximum impact on this proposed policy as possible, please share this message with your friends, family and fellow club members who love our hobby. To learn more about this policy, please click here. Also monitor your emails for new information as we work to fight this restrictive policy. As always, we are committed to doing everything possible to protect the model aviation hobby. If you have questions, please contact us at (765)287-1256 or amagov@modelaircraft.org.

Sincerely,

The AMA Government Affairs Team

Thanks for posting this Mark. Another thread addressing the same topic was started a few days ago as well.

I know that it may not be an important issue for many in our community as they usually fly under 400 ft. It is important to several segments in our hobby. Sailplanes, large scale, IMAC, pattern and turbine flyers often need higher altitudes to operate in a safe and enjoyable maner. Even the 1200 ft being sugested by the ATC/FAA, for some Class G airspace, would seriously restrict my 4m sailplane flying.

So far response to this campaign to preserve and protect aspects of our hobby has been underwhelming at best. Even if it does not affect your flying practices directly, please consider supporting the effort to prevent adding further restrictions on us all. Once a freedom is gone, you can rarely get it back.
    "Here's the news... In recent weeks negotiations for various Letters of Agreement (LOAs) for AMA clubs in controlled airspace, as required by new federal legislation, are not going as well as expected. It appears that the Air Traffic Organization (ATO) within the FAA will be arbitrarily setting 400 feet as the maximum

Comment

"Once a freedom is gone, you can rarely get it back. " Twowingtj
      YES SIR!!!!!!!! So very true.... This is very uncool!!!!!!!!

Comment

I say keep flying as we have and they can come give a fine, how many of the populace at the same field before a joint lawsuit.
        AMA 424553

Comment

Roger that....

Comment

Do I understand from the FAA reading, which are never ending and always referencing several other articles, soon to lose the readers attention span, that dang I forgot what I was going to ask.

Anyway, I went on line FAA and enrolled in their course,pertaining to safety and rules, completed exam and passed. Said I would have to attend a licensed site during the next 24 months to test in presence of FAA instructor. This seems ridiculous, but it's either comply or face consequences. Have any of you done this?

I check notams for all airports close by on the app B4UFLY. I don't know if this is FAA approved app or not, but it always say something like clear to go, be careful, so I fly and listen for both incoming and outbound real aircraft. I can't see FAA having field reps all over the country side looking for model airplanes flying, but I guess we have that kind of money to spend. Guess obummer didn't break the bank with the give away to the mid east prior to his departure. Just think what that could have done for us RC addicts had he thought of us instead of them.

I guess I'm as ticked off as anybody about all of this, but what can we do. I plan on enjoying the what time I have left flying my RC planes. I'm 72 and thought I'd seen it all from the government, but I'm afraid not.

We may live to see an FAA rep standing by our side as we fly to make sure we abide by the rules. If this should happen, weather permitting, think I'll start flying 7 days a week, dusk to dawn.

Who knows.

Jimmy

Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

Kind of makes you want to look at the specifications on the FedEX and Amazon drones to see what their expected operational altitude is. But the joke's going to be on them when"Nanny State" cities like Seattle and San Francisco prohibit their operations, period.

Comment

Amazon will just get Seattle to bend to there ways of business, I went there last year and Amazon is the talk of the town and how great for the economy it is.
                AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
                X