Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks Squawkers!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Squawkers!

I came here green as ever in Fixed Wing RC. Like most went right after one of my dream birds. I've just always gone through the school of hard knocks though. Gotta learn things the hard way..

"Feb 17th, 2018, 03:43 PM
    Greetings from the Arizona desert. New to fixed wing rc. I've been into my quad mostly over the passed year, but always had a fascination for these birds. Gonna start a build on the Dynam F4U next week, so I've been surfin' and lurkin' while trying to get my ducks all lined up. I did do the search thing, but figured this thread would be more specific for my build. Anyhow, was hoping someone might could shine some light on paints. Like, what is best for these foamies? How much do paint schemes actually affect the importance of c.g.? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated..."

... and then, thankfully, some of ya stepped up and got me going in the right direction. That Corsair sat in my hanger for over a year before I finally put it in the air. Unfortunately only for a couple flights before learning about 'torque roll'. I'm still in that same school, but between here and some good club members (from 2 of the 3 clubs I've tried) I have learned quite a bit. I still don't feel I'm at the level most of ya Squawkers are at, but I think I'm getting there.

I know these days E-Flite is almost a bad word around here, but they have been perfect for my learning curve. In the pic is my trainer hanging there, the Mini-Apprentice, that I was guided to when jumping in here with the Dynam (another bad word, sry) Corsair. I do hope to replace it with the BirdCage F4U one day. Below it is my first large airframe, the Carbon Z Cub. Just arrived this weekend. Been through the paint booth, binded, balanced, and surface controls dialed in. Waiting on Ms. Callie to get a windshield, well.. a nice sticky that looks better then just black blob, to me. Then it's on to a final coat or 3 of Minwax. The wife is gonna sew me some boots for the springs too. Yeah, hanging around here makes you do things to your plane you maybe wouldn't have thought of before! Hoping to have it maidened in the next couple of weeks.
    So 'thanks Squawkers.. I'm almost a real rc pilot now!!
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Way to go BluesDragon! Good luck on the maiden.

Comment

Hey BD, I see the P-51 hanging there too!
      I can help but think of my introduction to R/C because it's the same as yours and probably a bunch of us here as well.
      First airplane=FMS 1400mm P-51D. I was going to fire her up and be soaring the wild blue the first day
      A cooler head prevailed and I bought a trainer, Ol' Weedwacker because I knew nothing about the prop factor and she go off the road and into the weeds for the first few attempts, finally got the wife to hand launch her. Here she is in all her glory with the Avanti
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	254265 btw, that is in her present state, I brought her down from the ceiling where she hangs in all her glory for this picture. Then it was on to the Pandoras and you all are probably getting sick of hearing the story as I've related it many times. The point was that it wasn't about flying the P-51 or any particular airplane, but it was about enjoying the journey and learning experience. It was about the camaraderie with the folks here on the Squawk and the club not to mention getting together with the guys from the Squawk at Nefi a few times. All things that would not have happened had it not been for that little airplane.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Definitely enjoying the journey. Even with the setbacks and loses. I can't really see and end to the journey for me, as I just keep seeing something I gotta wanna try next. I haven't even crept into edf yet, and the wife is already tugging on the other end of the line. I think I've got a couple that will keep me learning for a while. I will work my way to edf sooner or later.. these props planes are just my gateway drug! lol
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I started out the same way. It took quite a few years and 100 planes before I considered myself having transcended out of “beginner”. I think I’m at the low end of intermediate now, with the occasional backward step into beginner again. My current group of 50 planes are relatively unscathed. I haven’t come to the end yet.

Comment

Personally, I don't think that "E-flite is a bad word around here", I just want all of us to be flying anything. Thanks to everyone for making this community fun to be around. Differences pale compared to similarities. We all lust after brown boxes, we've all walked home with a trash bag full of parts. Everything in between is just details.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I hear ya, Alpha... and agree wholeheartedly. I think they're fine birds for getting started into the hobby. At least for me they have been. That SAFE crutch has saved my dumb thumbs too many times to count. Thankfully I don't use it much anymore these days, but like my guns, I just like to know it's there to save me if I need it. I was feeling it's time to move on from them, came really close to getting Flex's RV8 even, but figured a high wing setup would be good for me to roll into the large scale. Like starting back on the Apprentice.. just a little bit bigger. lol
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

BluesDragon As they say "It's all about the journey". It's good to hear that you are enjoying the walk down the path. It's also good that your wife supports you.

Your choice to purchase the Carbon Cub SS is a good one. It's a great flying plane, easy to land and handles wind very well. Its fight envelope is quite wide and on high rates, it is quite aerobatic.

Keep having fun. That's what it's all about.

Comment

I'm with Alpha regarding Eflite. They've really stepped up their game lately. I think what we've seen here is that one or two people have had bad experiences with Horizon (and Eflite) and have registered here for the sole purpose of slamming them. I can understand why they feel the way they do but after a while, it's just overdone and gets really annoying because everyone knows the motivation behind it. The same sort of thing goes for Dynam. Most of us know that Dynam is NOT a high end brand. In fact, it's a medium to low end brand and that comes with it's limitations. Those who don't understand that will always slam them. If you understand "you get what you pay for", then it's not a problem. Sometimes, a person comes along and expects prime rib steak when they paid for hamburger. I know I paid for hamburger, but I also know that with a little time and effort (and at times, a bit more money), I can make a really good meal out of the hamburger.
                  PS. Oh, and HobbyKing can be a dirty word, too. But let's face it, even they, have improved their products. Not perfect but if you understand what you're getting into, you won't be terribly angry with yourself.

Comment

"Bad experiences", we've all had them and no customer or any product in any industry is immune. Luckily for us, in our hobby a "bad experience" where a model takes an aggressive dirt nap is hopefully something that can [eventually, after the tears subside] bring us all together for a good chuckle:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/th...-rules-entries

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

xviper ... you silver tongued devil.. you have such a great way with words and making fantastic points! I can tell ya, I loves me a good hamburger! In the beginning I for sure was not familiar with the different brandings. Although I did understand what I was getting into with the Dynam. The price point made it easier to jump into, which led me to believe it was on the hamburger side. I may have moved on from there to a tastier angus burger, but I can smell that steak a cookin'!

Alpha ...thankfully I have yet to dive into video. It wouldn't be pretty. Besides.. the imagination is a wonderful thing! Can I get some fries with that...?
                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Hey BluesDragon, nothing nobody here hasn't done already. Xviper has some good words, prudent to listen and fun to read, even though he never gets Spring where he lives. I have powdered my share of kits and ARF's, they all hurt, but like Alpha says, eventually you do chuckle about them. You never really stop buying planes either. I've tried several different times, dang you Alpha! So enjoy the friendship, the fun, the walks of shame and most of all, enjoy flying, it's why we do this. BTW, had a little misstep with the FMS Fox sailplane the other day. It now resides somewhere in a field of corn in Southeast Arkansas! I had a flyaway due to something electrical. I will keep looking for it as I fly around the local fields. So, it still happens......
                        Dutchman

Comment

Originally posted by dutchwhite001 View Post
                          even though he never gets Spring where he lives.
                          Hey, I get spring here! In fact, I got spring for about 6 hrs last week.

Comment

I know the feel Xviper. I'm one state below the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. The sun and wind have a deal, neither shows up without the other

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              I know the feel Xviper. I'm one state below the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. The sun and wind have a deal, neither shows up without the other

Grossman56
                              Was very lucky this morning. The wind had a previous engagement and left town to go down east where they're expected to get 40cm of SNOW! It'll be back tomorrow to hold hands with the sun again. I think Friday, it's headed down to your part of the woods so I may get out again for a few hours flying.

Comment

Xviper and Grossman56, I lived in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for 20 years. Winter lasted sometimes 10 months with a couple months off for good behavior! Up in the Panhandle, you dealt with heavy thunderstorms, rain, then snow, then more snow and then a few days of "summer like" temperatures. Practically Biblical weather every day! I flew models up at Farragut State Park and out with the fellas from CAMS. Across the prairie the wind did howl, constantly. Sure do not miss shoveling, or throwing my driveway, or my ramp in front of my hangar. Now all I got to do here is move some mud once in a while and ingest tons of skeeters! Both full scale and models! On to smaller things!
                                Dutchman

Comment

You know where to find me, I’ll fly with ya anytime...

Comment

Got 'er maidened this morning. Got one of our instructors to trim it out for me and then had some fun. I did shave a bit off my wing tip after way too much rudder input once my tail set down on landing. Otherwise, all good! I think she's perfect for my learning curve. Flies fantastic.... put two batteries (6s/50c) through it today.

F22trainer I should be back out there this weekend.. weather permitting. Gonna attempt to reset my surface controls to make up for what trim needed done, get some minwax applied, and then I'll be back out there. This bird takes up all my vehicle room, so I can't take any of my others along. But I'll have my charger at the ready, so I can go until the heat starts to melt me!
                                    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                                      Got 'er maidened this morning. Got one of our instructors to trim it out for me and then had some fun. I did shave a bit off my wing tip after way too much rudder input once my tail set down on landing. Otherwise, all good! I think she's perfect for my learning curve. Flies fantastic.... put two batteries (6s/50c) through it today.

F22trainer I should be back out there this weekend.. weather permitting. Gonna attempt to reset my surface controls to make up for what trim needed done, get some minwax applied, and then I'll be back out there. This bird takes up all my vehicle room, so I can't take any of my others along. But I'll have my charger at the ready, so I can go until the heat starts to melty me!
                                      I and several others at my old field had the predecessor to your big Cub - Carbon Z Cub. It was a beautiful flying plane. Big, powerful and majestic in the air. Unfortunately for one of those buddies of mine, he fell into a gopher hole while carrying the plane, landed on the throttle stick (no throttle cut employed) and chopped off 3 finger tips with the prop. So, a caution to you that this plane loves fingers. Take care and use that throttle cut.

Comment

BluesDragon Congrats on the Cub SS maiden! And welcome to the world of flying giant scale.

Comment

Working...
                                        X