X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Done

I was headed out to the flying field today (which is 40 miles away) and got about 5 miles away from my home and turned around and put the planes that I had put in the truck back up. I realized that I have lost interest in flying so I am planning on selling off most of my planes at the next swap meet. Its time for a new hobby/interest.

Well Baron sorry to see you go but I undetstand sometimes our interests for things just leave us for no apparent reason. It's the same when we get interested in something new. I'm glad to hear you'll be passing the planes on for others to enjoy. Good luck in what ever you choose to do now.

Comment

Keep looking till you find your passion... nothing else matters... I've been at this for close to 40 years :)

Comment

I have been flying since around 1990 and I am getting burned out. Also when I go to my flying field I am usually the only one there which makes it dull since I have no one to talk to. I will probably fly off and on until my AMA runs out or I sell the planes off.

Comment

Yea I know how you feel. When I was active duty I always wanted to build a model railroad. I did dioramas and such but when I got the room for a layout, I looked at all that space and thought that all it would be is a huge dust collector.

I'm not even 100% committed to this hobby due to cost but you need to find something to do that you consider fun.

Good luck!

Kevin
          Off with one helluva roar!
          AMA 1085465

Comment

Got that way with scale models..been building those for 20+ years, about 10 of the last I was doing it on commission..which really burnt me out on it..havent built a model in 2 years. sold just about every model I had,but kept all my equipment and paints..I just recently actually bought some models..and worked on one a few hours..I'll get back into it one day again..just havent had the time with work and RC planes lol
            www.TSHobbies.com
            Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
              I was headed out to the flying field today (which is 40 miles away) and got about 5 miles away from my home and turned around and put the planes that I had put in the truck back up. I realized that I have lost interest in flying so I am planning on selling off most of my planes at the next swap meet. Its time for a new hobby/interest.
              I've had times like that when a hobby became not fun anymore.... I was very heavy into racing cars (full size on road race tracks) but my arthritis kept getting worse and it got to a point where the pain outweighed the fun. Had to quit... But glad I did it. I still go to the race track to drive for fun but not competition. I've given up R/C 3 or 4 times due to life getting in the way but I always have come back to it. Maybe you will too Baron..... :)
              Lauren

Comment

I think all of us find new passions throughout life. I've been a car nut since I was 16. It was only about 3 years ago that my interest in sports cars began to diminish. I found RC about 5 years ago so there was a bit of an overlap. I'm a pensioner now and although I'm still interested in new cars of all kinds, it's just not the same anymore. I started RC with little helicopters but I don't fly those hardly at all now. I still have them but they just sit there. I'm not sure just how much longer I'll maintain my enthusiasm for RC planes but I hope it'll keep me going till I die.
                Part of the fun is flying with the buddies that I've made along the way. If I flew alone all the time or if I had no close relationships with those who fly around me, I think I might lose interest also. The thing is, most of my close flying friends are seniors like me, so as time goes by, we'll all disappear one by one and if we don't make new buddies, whoever is left will likely start to lose interest, too. I'll probably get into shuffle board at the "home".

Comment

I'm always sad to see someone leave the hobby. I've been off and on from RC hobbies for the last 25 years or so. Admittedly, there has been a lot more "on" time than off. My recommendation would be to keep your transmitter and at least one plane. That way, when you get the urge you can go do it without having to spend extra money. YOu'll never get the money out of the planes you own, but you could always find someone who cannot afford the hobby, and pass your legacy on to them....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian.MotionRC View Post
                    I'm always sad to see someone leave the hobby. I've been off and on from RC hobbies for the last 25 years or so. Admittedly, there has been a lot more "on" time than off. My recommendation would be to keep your transmitter and at least one plane. That way, when you get the urge you can go do it without having to spend extra money. YOu'll never get the money out of the planes you own, but you could always find someone who cannot afford the hobby, and pass your legacy on to them....
                    There is an old guy, older than me even, that flies at our local schoolyard. He has a real beat up duct taped together truck and about 4 planes that have lots of glue and tape on them (all small scale warbirds) but the guy is a really good flier. Nice guy too... Anyways, I've given him a couple of hand me downs. Like you said Brian, pay it forward.
                    Lauren

Comment

There are more than 40 members in our club. Only, Rick, my flying buddy, and I have shown up to fly for the past few months. It's a little troubleing. Doc

Comment

Sadness. I understand though if you are driving 40 miles to your club. Docmike I do not know what to say. Sounds like, and I hate to say this but it might be time to find a new club.

Comment

My club is the only one within 40 miles. All the other clubs are at a minimum of 60 miles away. I just cant justify driving that distance to fly. We had a club here in my hometown but we had 2 individuals destroy the club at one time we had close to 30 members and within 6 months the field was lost and the city reclaimed the land and tore out the runway.

Comment

My club is the only one within 40 miles. All the other clubs are at a minimum of 60 miles away. I just cant justify driving that distance to fly. We had a club here in my hometown but we had 2 individuals destroy the club at one time we had close to 30 members and within 6 months the field was lost and the city reclaimed the land and tore out the runway.
                            Alpha males fighting for control? The same thing happened to the local helicopter club here. Two guys screwed it up for everyone else and the field was lost. Stupid huh Baron? I'm really sorry you are in this predicament. :(
                            Lauren

Comment

No it was a guy and his wife. They always brought up the past and so much drama was involved in the past events they would not look into the future. The rest of the membership tried to move forward but could not due to these 2 individuals dragging the club down.

Comment

No it was a guy and his wife. They always brought up the past and so much drama was involved in the past events they would not look into the future. The rest of the membership tried to move forward but could not due to these 2 individuals dragging the club down.
                                Ohhhhhhh....... That happened at our race track. One woman that couldn't let things go. I quit as the chief of pit because of her and so did 2 others. Drama drama... Yep, know what you mean.
                                Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                  There are more than 40 members in our club. Only, Rick, my flying buddy, and I have shown up to fly for the past few months. It's a little troubleing. Doc
                                  Where'd they all go Doc? Just bad weather?
                                  Lauren

Comment

Sometimes its just not worth the stress of dealing with "certain people" at the field.... So you quit going.

Maybe later you go back to the hobby at the same field... maybe you find a different flying site.

Note that there are places its OK to fly that are not club affiliated fields.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Nope...beautiful weather. Five out of fourty show up for meetings and they're all gassers. I guess I should send out an email and ask where the heck everyone is. Doc

Comment

I had a similar experience several years ago. I thought for sure that I would stop flying airplanes. So I learned to fly helis instead. That way, I could fly whenever I wanted in my own backyard. Might be a nice option if you don't want to drive 40 mi, and it's loads of fun! It wasn't until I went to college and had an RC field on campus when I got back into flying planes. Just don't count yourself out yet.

Comment

Working...
                                        X