Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I know exactly what your going through. There's only 3 guys in our club of 50 that are at the field on weekends and then sometimes more. But it's not just the flying. It's the fellowship and things that you can unwind about. Boy. 40 miles would make me think twice to. Lucky I'm only 20 minutes from my field but my god the traffic at certain times. Think it through. We'll always be here when you hey back from the field to share your experiences with.
    Dewey l

Comment

I used to fly in my back field I have about 4.5 acres and I mowed out a runway and flew over the farm fields next to my property but the full size aircraft are flying over my land rather frequently lately and I don't feel safe putting an model up in the air off of my runway. Some of the planes are flying rather low.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
        I used to fly in my back field I have about 4.5 acres and I mowed out a runway and flew over the farm fields next to my property but the full size aircraft are flying over my land rather frequently lately and I don't feel safe putting an model up in the air off of my runway. Some of the planes are flying rather low.
        How far away is the field from which the full-size planes are operating? Maybe you should notify the airport management of your location and your RC activities. They might put out a NOTAM about your location, tell the pilots to stay over 400' when overflying your location.

CR

Comment

Unless you are living under the glide slope lights, you are allowed to fly up to 400ft. Doc

Comment

Well... if he doesn't feel it would be safe for the full scale if he continued flying there, he made the right choice to stop flying there.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I am over 5 miles from the airport but there is military aircraft flying nearby on occasion. It doesn't feel safe for me to fly from my property, when I do fly weather its at the club field or on my own property(I no longer fly from my property) I try to keep my planes low so I see them fly. If they get too high its hard to see what the model is doing.

Comment

I keep finding gaps in my flying lately. the air seems to get pushed out of my sails at times. One, our AMA field now has a local neighbor coming over to complain. Which means, now -- every time I go there, I am worried that I will run into them... So, sometimes just don't go. The field is ten minutes from my house... Then, I had a recent rash of crashes with a bunch of planes to fix... Mostly from experimenting with float planes over salt water... I originally got into RC about 20 years ago, but it never caught on. Back then it was gas and monocoat and I just didn't have the time. My sweet wife had bought me a balsa model. I was working on it every weekend... But I stalled, then stalled some more... But recently got into it 3-4 years ago. Now that they are electric and foam, way easier... I say, that if you leave the hobby and get rid of everything. If you decide to get back into it, there will be super cool RC tech that you previously didn't have.

Comment

Hi Mad Baron...I'm new here and relatively new to the hobby. I hope you don't sell everything off. Keep some stuff around for when the interest comes back! In the meantime I hope you find something you enjoy.

Comment

I'm not ready to quit yet... But I think I am getting there. Becoming disillusioned with the number of crashes I've been having lately. Most due to brown outs or some other signal loss relates failure. Yes, I'm running quality grade equipment. I haven't been using ubec, which in the world of jets would translate into more fail proof flight. But I still expect the built in becs of these name brand ESCs to work as advertised. Furthermore, I find myself sitting in my basement with all these rc parts and junk around me and ask myself "wth am I doing. Where is this leading me? How do I benefit from this hobby other than the brief joy of seeing something take off, fly and land". It's cost me tons of money over the years with no real return. Its also time I could have spent at home with the family, fixing things with the house, or other responsibilities as an adult. My greatest time with the hobby have been the first two years, beginning when I hovered a toy grade helicopter off the floor or my first real take off, circuit around the patch and landing. What an euphoric moment that was... Now to do something like that with a 6S jet isn't as exhilirating unless I've pulled miles of vertical and greased a picture perfect landing. Anything else it seems, would be ho-hum. Maybe im just having a dark moment right now... And I'll look back and say 'what a whiner I was' but as of now, there doesn't seem to be much in store for me with this hobby going forward.

Comment

If you're not having fun then yes, it's time to walk away. We all go through spells and have to put something down for awhile. I started flying RC back in the late 70's and I've taken "sabbaticals" more than once over the years and pursued other hobbies. But flying RC airplanes always draws me back. If you have to force the fun then it's not. Take a break!

Have you tried recording your fades and packet losses to try and solve your brown out issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Model jet juggernaut View Post
                        I'm not ready to quit yet... But I think I am getting there. Becoming disillusioned with the number of crashes I've been having lately. Most due to brown outs or some other signal loss relates failure. Yes, I'm running quality grade equipment. I haven't been using ubec, which in the world of jets would translate into more fail proof flight. But I still expect the built in becs of these name brand ESCs to work as advertised. Furthermore, I find myself sitting in my basement with all these rc parts and junk around me and ask myself "wth am I doing. Where is this leading me? How do I benefit from this hobby other than the brief joy of seeing something take off, fly and land". It's cost me tons of money over the years with no real return. Its also time I could have spent at home with the family, fixing things with the house, or other responsibilities as an adult. My greatest time with the hobby have been the first two years, beginning when I hovered a toy grade helicopter off the floor or my first real take off, circuit around the patch and landing. What an euphoric moment that was... Now to do something like that with a 6S jet isn't as exhilirating unless I've pulled miles of vertical and greased a picture perfect landing. Anything else it seems, would be ho-hum. Maybe im just having a dark moment right now... And I'll look back and say 'what a whiner I was' but as of now, there doesn't seem to be much in store for me with this hobby going forward.
                        This happens to me a lot with almost all my hobbies, my interest ping pongs between 100% in it to "what am I doing?". I try to let my hobby breaks end naturally when a new product comes our/an inspiring video draws me back in, but some of my old hobbies are in a box in the garage =/.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                          I am over 5 miles from the airport but there is military aircraft flying nearby on occasion. It doesn't feel safe for me to fly from my property, when I do fly weather its at the club field or on my own property(I no longer fly from my property) I try to keep my planes low so I see them fly. If they get too high its hard to see what the model is doing.
                          Having noticed the OP is near me, I thought I might see if he is still around...
                          might be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Having noticed the OP is near me, I thought I might see if he is still around...
                            might be able to help.
                            I see his location is now Calgary. That's where I am. I guess he's moved? There are 4 clubs within an hour from the center of town, much closer (within minutes) depending on where in the city you live. If he's still around and did move here and continued to fly, I'm sure he's found one of these clubs.
                            (His last post was 4 years ago.)

Comment

I too find it very sad when someone leaves the hobby, although I can understand people do get burned out with it, and I can understand why people would want to give it up. It's a hobby like none other. It requires a multitude of skills and every flight is a challenge. Some models may be relaxing to fly, but they are still a challenge in one way or another. I've has a passion for flight and models in excess of 60 years and not once have I become tired of it or considered giving it up. I still consider every flight challenge and always striving to do better. The perfect 3 point landing, the graceful realistic flight with a warbird, a mind-blowing slow roll with an aerobatic model. Every flight is different. I can have a great deal of fun folding a piece of paper into a paper plane and flying it in the back yard.

Everyone, stay safe and enjoy whatever hobby or passion you have.

PappaBear

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                I see his location is now Calgary. That's where I am. I guess he's moved? There are 4 clubs within an hour from the center of town, much closer (within minutes) depending on where in the city you live. If he's still around and did move here and continued to fly, I'm sure he's found one of these clubs.
                                (His last post was 4 years ago.)
                                I did see that, kinda figured he might be one of our Snow Birds, which migrate south for the winter -

Comment

I see the OP avatar is listed as "Guest" and location Maple Valley which is my hometown. Interesting...Clearly he didn't fly with me at the local middle school...I would give him plenty of material to be entertained by.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Something fishy here - his Geo comes up on mine as Sun City and won’t go to his profile...

Comment

You're right. I can't click on his username either and I didn't even know you could register as a "guest". It still shows "Calgary" as his location to me. Many of my flying buddies are snowbirds to AZ (Phoenix in particular), but none of them fit this person's "MO". I'm still in contact will all of them from 4 years ago, except for one who passed away and I'm quite sure this isn't him. With this current plague, everyone was ordered to "come home" when it all started.

Comment

It's likely a system thing...Maybe his account was removed and it defaults to "Guest"...Just a guess.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                          It's likely a system thing...Maybe his account was removed and it defaults to "Guest"...Just a guess.
                                          Aros
                                          I concur as well to being a system thing and possibly maybe was a hack at the time because Geo says he is here in Owego NY so it is a pretty safe bet that whomever is looking at this triggers the Geo for their location.
                                          From one moderator to one of the lead moderators I would like to suggest just closing this thread because it is just 1 week short of being 4 years old and it really serves no further purpose on this forum.
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X