X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF Hanger Storage Ideas

Hi All, I've got a hanger full of fixed wing prop birds. I'm shifting my secondary flying interest away from CP Helis to EDF Jets. I'm looking for good ideas for hangering these birds. They don't fit well into my currect storage system due to how far back the wings are. I've currently got the 70mm V2 F-16C and the 64mm HP Stinger. I'll be adding the Avanti S and others soon I suspect.

How are you storing yours? Thanks

What's your current system?

Comment

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post
      What's your current system?
      Currently using the long slotted shelf bracket holders mounted to studs with 12" shelf brackets covered with 3/4" pipe insulation for the small to mid size birds. Some smaller birds are store with wings on and nose in. Mid size birds are wings removed and fuse and wings on the brackets. My giant scale birds each have thier own special rack/ supports. The current smaller EDFs, I would like to store wings on. The Avanti S will likely be wings off like my mid size birds.

Comment

I'm kinda in the same boat. I currently have a table that I originally built for trains but now hangars my airplanes. It's 20ft long, 36" wide in the middle, and 4'x4' on the ends. Thinking of some kind of rack system. I know I can store like 3 or 4 jets on it and barely have workspace. Looks like vertical is the way to go.
        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I've made a tree of sorts that I use to hold planes. I've also made a carrier for my Tahoe that allows me to hold/store four or five 1100 - 1600mm planes.
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

Here is what I'm using. Fairly limited space and this doesn't include most of my wife's planes.

Comment

I have been using 2 racks to get them stacked vertically, and they have worked pretty well for holding models with different wing geometry. Even with both these racks I'm still running low on space in the hangar though.

Comment

I hang em on the wall with shelf brackets that are covered with Pvc. The best thing about this system is that it's adjustable

Comment

Comment

I have paneling on the ceiling in my shop, so I screw large teacup hooks into the ceiling, and hang them from the nose and tailcone with yarn. I have been hanging them like this for many years.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_131015_001.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	59543Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_131026.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	59544Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_131034.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	59545

Comment

Some great ideas guys thanks.

Weedsnager, that's the same type brackets that I use and like you, I like it because it's adjustable. The thought of using the pvc to extend the length of the brackets never occured to me. When I saw your pic, it was one of those slap your forehead, duhhh, moments.

Comment

I've always found storing models to be a pain in the neck one way or another. However I do find the ideas that you guys are using to be interesting. I either hang mine from the ceiling or I stand them on the nose up against a wall. I know it may look a little untidy, but it does work well and as long as you are careful they don't get damaged either. It is a good idea to remove the plug from the garage door opener and also lock the door so it cannot be opened at all ! Some of the models in the picture are now hanging on the ceiling.

Martin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG
Views:	1142
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	59564
                        Attached Files

Comment

I really like your idea Weedsnagger, I just think it would take up so much space having 5 foot long planes sticking out into the room. I may give it a shot though, it has to be better than carrying around a step ladder to get things off of the ceiling!! The jets I can get down and put up without it, but for everything else.....climbin on up!!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                            I have been using 2 racks to get them stacked vertically, and they have worked pretty well for holding models with different wing geometry. Even with both these racks I'm still running low on space in the hangar though.
                            That's a nice setup, F106DD. I'm most interested in those Cobras and that B-29 on the floor. It doesn't look like the T&U Hobbies kit... I'm guessing it's the Wowplanes kit?

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

That's a nice setup, F106DD. I'm most interested in those Cobras and that B-29 on the floor. It doesn't look like the T&U Hobbies kit... I'm guessing it's the Wowplanes kit?
                              Thanks Alpha! Yes, it is the Wowplanes kit. The upper Cobra is a 1/18 static model, and the lower one is the 470 Roban kit. Still fixing up the damage on that one done by the previous owner. The plywood structure inside was held together by next to nothing, but repairs are almost complete and I should have it airborne soon.

Comment

I don't have a lot of planes. So in my basement hanger it has worked well hanging planes via pvc setup.
                                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                  What are your dimensions on the rack on the right? I would like to do a set up like that.

Comment

Yesterday, I made a couple new racks, to expand my hangar into the garage. Most of my planes are still inside or in the Tahoe, ready to go the field.

Obviously, I now need more airplanes! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5145.JPG
Views:	2049
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	63246
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

Nice idea Oxotnik. Are those just wood dowels with pipe insulation for the wing supports? It looks like you can move them around as the need changes, true?

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                                        Yesterday, I made a couple new racks, to expand my hangar into the garage. Most of my planes are still inside or in the Tahoe, ready to go the field.

Obviously, I now need more airplanes!
                                        I sort of did the same thing but just used 3/4 Sch40 PVC pipe with pipe clamps to hold it to the wall. Just barely strong enough to hold 8lb models. I'm out of wall space so I need to reconfigure something maybe like Lon did and bolt them to the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                        X