X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Fuel Filler Valve

I have a Hangar9 P-51D "Miss America" that I have just about finished assembling. This is the 60 size P-51 with 65.5" wing span.
    I also have a Great Planes (GPMQ4160) Fuel Filler Valve that I want to mount in the plane.

The firewall is solid, with only the neck of the fuel tank protruding, and the cowl is made of fiberglass, so mounting the fuel valve on the cowl doesn't seem to be an option.

If I mount the fuel valve on the fuselage itself, I would have to drill two holes in the firewall and loop two fuel lines back into the fuselage to connect to the fuel valve. That seems rather sloppy, though.

I have considered making a strong metal L-bracket and mounting the bracket on the firewall such that the other leg of the "L" would be right against the cowl. Then a hole through the cowl and bracket would be a place to mount the valve.

I'm certainly open to suggestions or methods used by others for this sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Jack

Hi Jack
    This is how I did the fuel port on my Phoenix Edge.

I drilled a hole in the cowl just big enough for the fuel line. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_113314.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	85182

Pull the line out to fill, and push it back in when done. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_113250.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	85183

The plug holds it secure when in flight. Simple but effective

Comment

Amen C Crunch. Easy and simple. Use that setup with all my nitro and gas planes.
      Dewey l

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_K View Post
        I have a Hangar9 P-51D "Miss America" that I have just about finished assembling. This is the 60 size P-51 with 65.5" wing span.
        I also have a Great Planes (GPMQ4160) Fuel Filler Valve that I want to mount in the plane.

The firewall is solid, with only the neck of the fuel tank protruding, and the cowl is made of fiberglass, so mounting the fuel valve on the cowl doesn't seem to be an option.

If I mount the fuel valve on the fuselage itself, I would have to drill two holes in the firewall and loop two fuel lines back into the fuselage to connect to the fuel valve. That seems rather sloppy, though.

I have considered making a strong metal L-bracket and mounting the bracket on the firewall such that the other leg of the "L" would be right against the cowl. Then a hole through the cowl and bracket would be a place to mount the valve.

I'm certainly open to suggestions or methods used by others for this sort of thing.

Thanks,
        Jack
        Actually the cowl will be your best option. Place a piece of masking tape on the cowl, then drill through the tape so you do not spider web the fiberglass. I used the hangar 9 fueling valves a lot. My friend used the ones you have got. The problem with the one you have is you need the special fueling probe to use it. Now, with that being said, you should strongly consider just using your third fuel line with a fuel dot. My next question is are you using a nitro engine or gas? If you are using a nitro, then you did not need the third fueling line. With the fueling valve you have, you would just use the line from the tank to the carb. The manual that came with your plane showed you that or your tank was pre plumbed? Either way the assumption is that you would use a fuel dot with a nitro engine. If your using a gas engine then you need the vent line wrapped or coiled on top of the tank and secured in that manner, then let the tail hang down and out an opening on the bottom of the plane as your vent. Looking at your picture you look definitely plumbed for a nitro engine with a fuel dot. I used the fueling valves quite a bit. Anything I build now I will just use the dot system. That fueling valve will start leaking eventually. Good luck with it. You have a very nice legacy hangar 9 plane on your hands. Hope you post some flying videos. Anything I can help you with on that plane feel free to ask.

Comment

You can see the fueling valve in the cowl on my P-47.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_K View Post

Thanks,
            Jack
            Jack, looking at your picture. I just noticed the screws holding your engine mounting rails to your firewall. Jack, you did not screw servo screws into the wood for that did you? You should have had 4 blind nuts and allen head bolt.

Comment

Working...
            X