X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Complete LX Models F22 Build

For those of you who already own all the big jets offered at Motion RC, this F22 build might be the next step in satisfying your never ending search for the next Jet Fix. Most of us already know that many of the Freewing Products are of the highest quality and others like LX Models have a long way to go before they catch up with Freewing. Unfortunately, Freewing does not offer some models like The F22, F4, Mig29 etc. This is when you decide if you want to spend the the 20-30 hour build time to bring these average performing EDF Jets into the arena of Freewing Quality. I have built the F4, Mig29 and the SU47 of the LX models and posted on this forum. The only one left, was the F22. The PNP versions of the LX model Jets are equipped mostly with noisy 5 bladed twin 70mm EDFs and are always under engineered when it comes to wing loading. With the exception of the F4, I had to reinforce every model with with wing spars and carbon strips in the wings. After I was done with every single build, every one of those models flew great, without any bad habits in flight or landings. I would highly recommend, that you avoid all the PNP models sold by LX and just get the KIT versions and upgrade them to Freewing status.
    Here are step by step photos of my build.
    This first set of photos shows the need to add aileron servos to the wing. The factory has an unusual set up where one servo operates the elevators and the ailerons via two separate linkages. By adding the separate servo for the aileron it makes it much more predictable and reduces the load on the one single 9g servo, that would have operated the aileron and elevator.

This next set of photos shows how the landing gear bays have to be reinforced with 1/32 plywood that is light and strong. I used epoxy instead of hot glue. Hot glue works well, however, here in California, on hot days it tends to come apart much easier. The stock landing gears are worthless, made of plastic and are not durable. For the main LG, I used Freewing F5 medal gears. For the Front Landing gear, I used one off of my F6 Intruder.

Comment

The Wigs do not come with spars. It's absurd to think of such a big jet without any wing spars. I had to drill through the wing and add a carbon spar and epoxy it in place. On the fuselage side of the with with spar, I reinforced it with plywood tabs to reduce the stress at the terminal end of the spar.

Comment

Modifications to the canopy had to be made, to allow the battery to sit in the same space. The canopy has this hump underneath that has no purpose or function. Also, the battery compartment in the fuselage has this huge hump of foam that needs to be trimmed off. It has no purpose being there in the first place

Comment

These photos show how the FMS1850KV 2860 motors with HobbyWing 80A ESCs were installed. The center channel designated for the wires to fit, is very shallow and narrow. I used my soldering iron to melt the foam and make the opening wider and deeper for the wires to fit into.

Comment

The fuselage comes in two sections. The forward section and the back section. Each of these sections has a top and bottom half. once the top section of the back part of the fuselage has been attached, the bottom part of the forward fuselage need to be epoxied and reinforced with 1/32 plywood. Also the FMS motors are slightly wider than the LX motors intended for this model. Therefore the foam in the fuselage and the EDF cover have to be either carved out or melted with the soldering iron to fit the motors in place.

Comment

Once the top half of the forward fuselage is epoxied in place, the panel gaps have to be filled with Hobby Foam of your choice and touched up with latex paint matched either at Lowe's or Home Depot.
              This will conclude your build. I intend to fly it with Admiral 6S 5000mah Battery.

Comment

I will post YouTube videos of the maiden flight in the near future.

Comment

Very nice mods on the F-22, it is amazing to me that simple mods required on all lx birds likely could be incorporated in the Mfg phase for little extra up front costs, and would also open up their client base enormously to compete with FMS and Freewing, just dont understand that business plan. Anxious to see your maiden video. I also had this kit years ago when I was starting out, and essentially abandoned it after many consecutive system failures and repairs, I believe I got it airborne one time.

Comment

wow awesome, I've been wanting to get this one as well as the LX F18 and put all freewing electronics in it. good job on the build! look forward to seeing the maiden.

Comment

Awsome work,
                      can' wait to see it fly

Comment

Originally posted by CT View Post
                        Very nice mods on the F-22, it is amazing to me that simple mods required on all lx birds likely could be incorporated in the Mfg phase for little extra up front costs, and would also open up their client base enormously to compete with FMS and Freewing, just dont understand that business plan. Anxious to see your maiden video. I also had this kit years ago when I was starting out, and essentially abandoned it after many consecutive system failures and repairs, I believe I got it airborne one time.
                        I also agree that they should improve the quality of their models if they what to improve their business. I think they would be better off just focusing in offering kit versions.
                        I personally would not waste my time and money on such low quality models. I would just be patient and wait for other quality brands such as Freewing to do a model right.
                        I have seen too many people on these forms regret buying LX planes because they poured time and money into a plane then not too long after Freewing releases a better version of it such as the A-4.
                        Patience is a vertue.

Comment

Great build tips and pics. Look forward to a successful maiden.

Comment

The Maiden Flight
                            Adequate power and very easy to fly. The jet glides well and floats. Definitely an easy jet to fly. At this point it is as good as any Freewing Model that I own.

Comment

LX Model F22 Twin 70mm FMS Motors Maiden Landing

Comment

Ddsjoseph

just wanted to say thanks much for all your detailed posts and pics of mods made.

I have this bird on my back bench in the PNP version i picked up for good deal new open box and know it needs modding. it's next after my FW artic f16.

Thought it would be easier being a pnp but gotta cut it open to fix all the half arsed shiz they did at factory. It did come with 2 80a hobbywing esc s though.

Have been avoiding reading all several hundred pages on RCG to extract all the good mods needed, and here you consolidated them all for me. Excellent sir bravo

I was planning on using the exact same 1850kv fms edf units as well after seeing them perform up to advertised specs in my pops FMS a10 I gifted him. Minor balancing needed, major great sound. it pulls 113a at 2500 watts on 5000 6s graphenes, your raptor should do similar, or slightly less on non graphene packs, but they really keep the rpms up for full flight duration.

cheers

Comment

Gland to have been of some help. I hope your build goes as well as mine did. It ended up a great flying jet. Very easy to fly and very very easy to land. All Pros and no Cons.

Comment

What did you do for the Gear doors did you add a servo to close the gear doors? pictures please!

Comment

I eliminated the gear doors. They may look nice but the poor LX design does not guarantee full closure each time. If they do not close all the way, they may cause flight characteristics to change. Its best to just leave them open.

Comment

This is gold to me and a friend. You are the man!!!!

Freewing needs an F-22 single 90mm with TV

Comment

Working...
                                        X