X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Freewing 80mm F86.

I really like the 80mm F86, especially the sound. I haven't bought one yet due to the fact that my only 6s edf experience has been the HSD Viper 75. That thing puffed every pack I put in it, even on a 4 minute timer., so I'm hesitant to get another plane that eats high dollar 6s batteries like candy. Any advice? Thanks.

Well....If you have "The Need for Speed" The FW 80mm 86 will deplete a 4Kmah in under 4 minutes for sure. Do a high speed pass, maybe two, and scale flying throttle management. You can land around 4min with 34% or so on the battery. A 5000 battery will give you some more time. I fly both the 4 & 5K. You for sure can feel the weight difference , but no big deal. I have a couple years of flying the 86. Never puffed a Admiral with the 86. So I'm still flying her with two year old batteries (they're getting tired though) and some new ones. My latest prop planes, i'm using the same 6s batteries. One thing I should mention, is that both my FW 86's, I've upgraded to the inrunner 1820s. The upgrade difference makes me smile...no regrets.
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by CZ Flyer View Post
      I really like the 80mm F86, especially the sound. I haven't bought one yet due to the fact that my only 6s edf experience has been the HSD Viper 75. That thing puffed every pack I put in it, even on a 4 minute timer., so I'm hesitant to get another plane that eats high dollar 6s batteries like candy. Any advice? Thanks.
      If you're puffing batteries, it may not be the plane. Puffing usually occurs from over-discharging a battery. Poor quality batteries may also generate more heat, causing a cell (typically in the middle of the pack) to puff.

The F-86 is a great flying plane on the stock set up. I gave mine to a friend since I hadn't flown it in awhile. I would set my timer for 3:30 using Admiral 6S/5000/50Cs. Only 2-3 full throttle passes, otherwise flying around at 70% throttle. Batteries would come down at 3.8v average per cell...no puffing.

Sean

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Freewing F-86. I've had 2 and loved them (lost them both in over-agressive flight. Nothing wrong with the plane).

I flew mine on 6S 5000, and got over 4 minutes of hard throttle flying time. You have to make a slight modification to the way the ESC is installed, because the battery needs to move back to the back of the compartment. But, it's well worth a little messing around in there. Not a big deal at all. The ESC just needs to be dropped a little lower so the battery will move farther back.

I think it's definitely worth it to fly a 5000. But, it will fly on a 4000 just fine and you'll get about 3 1/2 minutes.

Agree with what was said about the puffing. If you keep the discharge above 3.75 per cell, you'll be okay. Get them back up to storage charge as soon as you can, so don't leave them down at the low voltage for too long.

You'll love the plane. It looks and flies great.

That all being said, if you want a really great EDF that flies great on a 4000 6S battery, consider the BAE Hawk. It's an outstanding plane. A little smaller than the F-86, but much more fun to fly.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Helps a lot! Ron

Comment

I completely agree with the other posts, this jet is an all around good flier, and flights are about 3 minutes of exuberant flying. Despite this, I still prefer flying the 4k batteries simply due to their weight. The Sabre glides quite nicely, and if you can dial in your throttle management, it can do up to 4.5 min on a 4000. When I'm going for a long flight, I only use full throttle to gain altitude, and keep throttle at idle or cut completely in the descents. This flight was 4:00 with a few full throttle passes, and mild aerobatics:

This jet is still my favorite airplane to sit back and fly. I'm currently working on modding a spare with speed brakes, scale LG, and gear doors just to bring up the detail level a bit.

Comment

hey 106 where Is your battery located for cg? and where is your cg?

Comment

Working...
              X