X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a guessing game about a toy airplane. Some people can drain the fun out of anything.

Comment

• I like making guesses that are obviously not happening.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Whatever the coming projects may be, I am committed to buying them. I wasn't really excited about Hoot, but it turned out really nice and I like it now... So bring 'em on Alpha and the team. You have my support as long as I have the money!!! (OK, my wife has the money)…. LOL

Comment

• I would never guess that these two Canadian jets would make it into anything but the history they lived. They were the best that 20 million frozen people could achieve. The glory of these planes was the Orenda Iroquois engines that were years ahead, thanks to British jet tech advancements. Jim Floyd, the director of these two jet projects was an Englishman plucked from wartime Britain....These planes all ended up as scrap aluminum for pop and beer cans....shame.....

Comment

• What's that second jet? Looks like a canberra that had its wings cuts until the engines were at the fuselage, and it looks like it'd be a fun scale "sports" jet with that wing

Comment

• Originally posted by Topdogzrc View Post
              What's that second jet? Looks like a canberra that had its wings cuts until the engines were at the fuselage, and it looks like it'd be a fun scale "sports" jet with that wing
              The second one is an Avro CF100 Canuck with high powered engines.....

Comment

• An THAT gentlemen, is the first jet to have 'fly by wire' back in the 50's. This was when the Americans were flying the F-86. First to have an internal weapons system as well as artificial 'feel' to the controls, so many firsts, BTW, supersonic as well. But, Canada wasn't supposed to have the first anything in the aerospace industry so politics stepped in and they were all chopped up...……...except for one...………...so the legend goes...…….

Pick up "Storms of Controversy" by Palmiro Campagna, or watch the movie on the CF 105 starring Dan Ackroyd.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30287.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	156253

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Something about using tubes for fly by wire led to having an unreliable system for an airplane that needed to pull + and - G in combat maneuvers...

Its just not good when the tubes eject from the sockets.
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• BTW: The Avro Arrow was mostly Titanium. Just like when Kelly Johnson had to buy titanium from the Russians to build the SR71 Blackbird without them knowing it was for a spy plane! Avro had to tell the Ruskies that they were buying titanium for other reasons and uses. Not for building an anti-Russian jet interceptor....In the 50's, titanium was hard to work with, but they all did it....

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                        Something about using tubes for fly by wire led to having an unreliable system for an airplane that needed to pull + and - G in combat maneuvers...

Its just not good when the tubes eject from the sockets.
                        Actually, the Arrow was killed because of a feud between the new Canadian Prime Minister, John Diefenbaker, and AVRO Canada's President. It was soo bad that the PM, stating that there was a Soviet mole at AVRO that he ordered EVERYTHING, from completed aircraft, to tools and dies, and even blueprints destroyed.

Comment

• Yes, sad story the way the Arrow went down. The TSR-2 is another bird on that list. Politics was more deadly than any SAM.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Its not silver......
                            Happy Sunday !

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                              Yes, sad story the way the Arrow went down. The TSR-2 is another bird on that list. Politics was more deadly than any SAM.
                              It seems that after Korea, most of the "free world" decided to let "Uncle Sugar" foot the bill for their defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

It seems that after Korea, most of the "free world" decided to let "Uncle Sugar" foot the bill for their defense.
                                I believe these planes were cancelled in favor of purchasing aircraft from American companies - hardly a handout from "Uncle Sugar", especially when it cost them their own domestic industries, and some technologies that were at the time ahead of American designs.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

I believe these planes were cancelled in favor of purchasing aircraft from American companies - hardly a handout from "Uncle Sugar", especially when it cost them their own domestic industries, and some technologies that were at the time ahead of American designs.
                                  But it's cheaper to either buy existing airplanes or share the costs of R&D(with the American taxpayer footing the larger part of the bill) than to develop, manufacture, and establish the logistics for your own aircraft.
                                  And the people in charge at the time were more concerned with creating social programs, and in the case of the British Minister of Defense believed that manned aircraft were obsolescent in view of missiles and MAD. And as mentioned earlier, in Canada, the feud between the PM and the President of AVRO Canada. So instead of the Arrow, Canada bought BOMARC and F-101 Voodoos, and Britain initially was going to get F-111s but opted instead for F-4 Phantom IIs and Bristol Bucaneers. And the money saved went into social programs, which gets the people in-charge re-elected, at their own peril.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
                                    Its not silver......
                                    Happy Sunday !
                                    You forgot one:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      An THAT gentlemen, is the first jet to have 'fly by wire' back in the 50's. This was when the Americans were flying the F-86. First to have an internal weapons system as well as artificial 'feel' to the controls, so many firsts, BTW, supersonic as well. But, Canada wasn't supposed to have the first anything in the aerospace industry so politics stepped in and they were all chopped up...……...except for one...………...so the legend goes...…….

Pick up "Storms of Controversy" by Palmiro Campagna, or watch the movie on the CF 105 starring Dan Ackroyd.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30287.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	156253

Grossman56
                                      The Dan Ackroyd movie is on Youtube:

Comment

• Weren't there supposed to be 2 announcements at Nall? The L-39 was in the weeks before Nall and the new paint scheme on the F-4 I assume counts as one of the new releases... but what about the other?

Comment

• Originally posted by andrew_flyguy View Post
                                          Weren't there supposed to be 2 announcements at Nall? The L-39 was in the weeks before Nall and the new paint scheme on the F-4 I assume counts as one of the new releases... but what about the other?
                                          I believe the Red Avanti was counted as a new release as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X