X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going with an F-106B. I also think that "Reynolds" was indeed another hint dropped by Alpha. We all know that Alpha is drawn to both historical pilots and or aircraft.

Here are my thoughts:

Ozymandias: One who accomplished much, but now is only a statue or display (in a museum). The aircraft mentioned below is indeed noteworthy and currently on display.

Cloud Atlas: Need to do more research on how it ties in....

Reynolds wrap(foil): F-106B 57-2516, NASA NF-106B N616NA 1966-1979

Over 300 missions were flown on a variety of nozzles and inlets at various speeds,power settings,"G" levels and Reynold numbers.The lowest Reynolds number reached was on a flight requiring full pressure suits that reached an altitude of 57,000 ft. The program terminated with the transfer of the aircraft to the NASA Langley Research Center and re-designated NASA 816. Following completion of a Storm Hazards program and later a Vortex Flap program, the aircraft was ceremoniously retired on 17 May 1991. It is currently on display at the Virginia Air and Space Center, Hampton, VA. --- Earle Boyer 15 Jul 2013

Here is the link to more remarkable history on this particular tail number:

Learn about USAF F-106 Delta Dart Ultimate Interceptor last of the Century Series Fighters of Fighter Interceptor Squadrons in Aerospace and Air Defense Commands

Comment

• Twowingtj
      Twowingtj commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe that the Cloud Atlas reference is an illustration for "What is done today or what was done in the past has a profound affect on the future". In the case of this F-106B, being used as a test bed, lead to many advances in airframe and powerplant developement. Good Karma. And as Quickstop mentioned below, it was "reincarnated".

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
    I'm going with an F-106B. I also think that "Reynolds" was indeed another hint dropped by Alpha. We all know that Alpha is drawn to both historical pilots and or aircraft.

Here are my thoughts:

Ozymandias: One who accomplished much, but now is only a statue or display (in a museum). The aircraft mentioned below is indeed noteworthy and currently on display.

Cloud Atlas: Need to do more research on how it ties in....

Reynolds wrap(foil): F-106B 57-2516, NASA NF-106B N616NA 1966-1979

Over 300 missions were flown on a variety of nozzles and inlets at various speeds,power settings,"G" levels and Reynold numbers.The lowest Reynolds number reached was on a flight requiring full pressure suits that reached an altitude of 57,000 ft. The program terminated with the transfer of the aircraft to the NASA Langley Research Center and re-designated NASA 816. Following completion of a Storm Hazards program and later a Vortex Flap program, the aircraft was ceremoniously retired on 17 May 1991. It is currently on display at the Virginia Air and Space Center, Hampton, VA. --- Earle Boyer 15 Jul 2013

Here is the link to more remarkable history on this particular tail number:

....Also the only plane to land without the pilot after he ejected. Was rebuilt and later reissued to the same pilot.
    During a training mission from Malmstrom AFB on Feb. 2, 1970, this F-106 entered an uncontrollable flat spin forcing the pilot, Maj. (Ret.) Gary Foust, to ej...

Comment

• Or...
      F-111, a laminar flow "glove", which the flow wrapped around the fairing section...?
      An analysis of 34 selected flight test data cases from a NASA flight program incorporating a natural laminar flow airfoil into partial wing gloves on the F-111 TACT airplane is given. This analysis determined the measured location of transition from laminar to turbulent flow. The report also contains the results of a boundary layer stability analysis of 25 of the selected cases in which the crossflow (C-F) and Tollmien-Schlichting (T-S) disturbance amplification factors are correlated with the measured transition location. The chord Reynolds numbers for these cases ranges from about 23 million to 29 million, the Mach numbers ranged from 0.80 to 0.85, and the glove leading-edge sweep angles ranged from 9 deg to 25 deg. Results indicate that the maximum extent of laminar flow varies from 56% chord to 9-deg sweep on the upper surface, and from 51% chord at 16-deg sweep to 6% chord at 25-deg sweep on the lower. The results of the boundary layer stability analysis indicate that when both C-F and T-S disturbances are amplified, an interaction takes place which reduces the maximum amplification factor of either type of disturbance that can be tolerated without causing transition.

"An analysis of 34 selected flight test data cases from a NASA flight program incorporating a natural laminar flow airfoil into partial wing gloves on the F-111 TACT airplane is given. This analysis determined the measured location of transition from laminar to turbulent flow. The report also contains the results of a boundary layer stability analysis of 25 of the selected cases in which the crossflow (C-F) and Tollmien-Schlichting (T-S) disturbance amplification factors are correlated with the measured transition location. The chord Reynolds numbers for these cases ranges from about 23 million to 29 million, the Mach numbers ranged from 0.80 to 0.85..."

In regards to the other hints:
      Ozymandias: One who accomplished much, but now is only a statue or display (in a museum). The aircraft mentioned below is indeed noteworthy and currently on display. <-- which fits the bill

Cloud Atlas: A decent all-weather bombing platform, which gave rise to the B-1, F-15E, F-35 platforms perhaps where penetration through enemy air defences in any-weather condition is needed to clear a corridor for the rest to follow?

Comment

• May have found it. Motion has been increasing their Heli market.

Comment

• Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
          May have found it. Motion has been increasing their Heli market.
          You sure those aren't baked potatoes? LOL

Comment

• Alpha's location is North Pole.

Comment

• Put a bug in ol saint Nick's ear to carpet bomb our houses with plenty of alpha enhanced airplanes!

Comment

• This thread is getting old and I'm beginning to slowly losing interest, not sure if anyone else feels the same way. We've pretty much covered every conceivable airframe starting from the Cold War era and onward. Basically the takeaway is Project Foil can be anything. I'm going to stop thinking about it and place the pre-order on whatever it is, when it came out.

Comment

• I'm just awaiting it to show.

Woody

Comment

• Let the other shoe drop! This is more dragged out than the Mueller investigation!

Comment

• I bought the Gloster to help me with anxiety....

Comment

• I didn't know what to buy and gave up on this foil project three months ago, so I bought another F-104, let the fun begin, just love hard to fly jets that keep you on your toes, I do wish I could learn to hang on to my money............:Angry::Angry::):)

Comment

• IF the focus is still on aircraft from the Vietnam era, and,

IF we are using Foil as a verb (thwart, counter, frustrate, ...),

Then it has to be that electronic counter measures legend the Republic F-105G Wild Weasel!

Comment

• I'd absolutely lose it if it was a proper 80mm F-105 with the power performance to match. The hints are vague enough that it could be any of them.

I have to say though, it is fun trying to guess with Alpha's hints, I wonder how close some of us have gotten...

Comment

• Don’t forget post 1173 on this thread ...he knows all.

Comment

• Good news for all of you wondering if Project Foil will ever be released. Well as of today, I am beginning work on the product pages so rest assured folks, Project Foil's announcement is coming soon!

:Cool:
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hang on till Nov 1st!!! I have to pay the bills and get the credit card ready for pre-order!!! LOL Woo Hoo…. :Cool::Cool:

Comment

• *HEAVY BREATHING*

Comment

• One last hint maybe Alpha? I want to win that free copy of the model by guessingLOL correctly.

Comment

• :Party: Woo hoo! What will I ever do if I don't have this thread to keep my blood pressure up? LOL

Comment

Working...
                                        X