X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whizzer View Post
    I am about one heartbeat away from buying the e-Flite PT-17 and really like the idea of attaching rigging wires. I viewed the photos but do not see how they attach to the plane and am curious what type of wire was used. Really enjoying this thread and will be back to see if any now posts are added. I'm of the age where I remember the PT 17 from our local, rural, airport and have a love of the bi-plane. Have done much checking as I want one but do not want to get one that is so "twitchy" it is difficult to fly thus the PT 17.
    Spider wire would be good and is quite light. Don’t know about attaching with mechanical devices though as they could look clunky. I thought about doing it but decided against.
    Flies great and is not twitchy if balanced properly. Most need about 2oz or so in the dummy cylinders, and mine needed a bit more down elevator- 5 turns after the maiden. Have AS3X on/off switched.

Comment

Comment

Just put the new PT-17 together and all these post have been great. Very rainy, cold and windy here in Toledo so maiden may have to wait until next season. But this is my first Bipe and she's a beauty. Great thread.
        In the Hanger
        Too many to count

Comment

Because this will be your maiden flight of the ST-17, I would be very interested in your reaction to how it flies.
          At what level do you consider yourself as a pilot? I'm a novice having soloed the end of September but extremely interested in a bi-plane.
          Just do not want to get into one that is "twitchy" as my trainer is an e-Flite Carbon Z Cub. Any info you might offer will be appreciated. I returned from the airfield this morning after discussing the pros and cons of the ST-17 with some of the old timers with much experience and one said it is mello but three others involved in the discussion said it was "twitchy", thus the inquiry asked of a first time flier of this model. Looking forward to your thoughts and personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Whizzer View Post
            Because this will be your maiden flight of the ST-17, I would be very interested in your reaction to how it flies.
            At what level do you consider yourself as a pilot? I'm a novice having soloed the end of September but extremely interested in a bi-plane.
            Just do not want to get into one that is "twitchy" as my trainer is an e-Flite Carbon Z Cub. Any info you might offer will be appreciated. I returned from the airfield this morning after discussing the pros and cons of the ST-17 with some of the old timers with much experience and one said it is mello but three others involved in the discussion said it was "twitchy", thus the inquiry asked of a first time flier of this model. Looking forward to your thoughts and personal experience.
            See post #42,.
            If set up properly it is a docile a kitten and a very smooth airplane. Also see AMA video review of the PT-17 on Utoob.
            Twitchy would indicate it is not set up correctly. The AS3X is a great way to start with SAFE mode, but it will limit rudder on take off, which can be frustrating.
            I went from the HZ Carbon Cub right to the PT-17, but get some experience help to set it it up and maiden so you do it correctly.
            Great airplane and it fits in my ‘Vette!

Comment

Thank you black friday sale! I'm trying to balance CG on my new Eflite PT-17 ​​​​​​with 3S 2200 Lipo in battery tray. I placed a mark at 86mm back from the top wing LE as recommended in manual. I am placing either AA battery under each mark or a pencil with the eraser touching the marks. I hold the batteries or pencils in hands and lift the airplane upward. I get conflicting results. 1 time the airplane leans forward then when I repeat, it leans aft. I've gone through this cycle 10 times now and it leans either forward OR aft, never consistently one way. Of course if I un-intentionally place the batteries (or pencils) just a millimeter away that could account for the different results too. Perhaps if i buy a CG balancer I will get more accurate and consistent results? No other airplane has given me such a hard time balancing, not the P-51, P-47, Pitts, nor Corsair. I am starting to think it is properly balanced now with these results. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
                Thank you black friday sale! I'm trying to balance CG on my new Eflite PT-17 ​​​​​​with 3S 2200 Lipo in battery tray. I placed a mark at 86mm back from the top wing LE as recommended in manual. I am placing either AA battery under each mark or a pencil with the eraser touching the marks. I hold the batteries or pencils in hands and lift the airplane upward. I get conflicting results. 1 time the airplane leans forward then when I repeat, it leans aft. I've gone through this cycle 10 times now and it leans either forward OR aft, never consistently one way. Of course if I un-intentionally place the batteries (or pencils) just a millimeter away that could account for the different results too. Perhaps if i buy a CG balancer I will get more accurate and consistent results? No other airplane has given me such a hard time balancing, not the P-51, P-47, Pitts, nor Corsair. I am starting to think it is properly balanced now with these results. What do you think?
                That battery needs to go up against the motor mount - I let mine hang about 3/4 in over the end of the tray when it get strapped down. The wires from the motor should get out of the way sufficient to get that battery as far forward as you can get it. Try to get a stand - a 2x4 with holes for the pencils will do nicely. Go for the forward limit of the CG not the middle. Did you add any weight in the dummy cylinders? I use the same batteries, had to add 2.5 oz in the cylinders and a manual adjustment of 5 turns of the clevis down elevator and shetrimmed out nicely. You’ll also want to balance with the cockpit in place

Comment

I have not added weight yet but wanted to get as close as I can before I resort to adding weights. I will try the 2×4 and drill holes same width as pencils. The manual says to check CG with airplane inverted which is what I have been doing but i think i'll also try right side up. I'll also so as you say with the battery forward. Thank you.

Comment

Comment

I raised my battery up by making a foam block that goes under the battery , that it allows it to go all the way forward. Even with this I still needed to add 1-2oz of lead in the motor pockets upfront to get her to balance. The end result is that the plane is a bit heaver than it should be (used a 3000 graghine to help with the balance as well) I feel the plane still a little tail heavy. While she's a docile flyer it would be way better if the cg could be achieved using less weight. I got it to be a trainer for our club after my first impression of a club members plane but after flying mine for a while I think there are better choices out there (vallient etc) . my2c
                      rc flyin addict

Comment

Nice Youtube clip overview. Will have to try a foam block.

Comment

Got my new Hobbyking CG balancer. The PT-17 balances about level at the manuals recommended 86mm CG location and with battery as forward as possible. I did push the ESC wires down as flat as possible and that did allow the battery to go more forward but did not raise the battery on a foam block nor add weight. Perhaps the CG balancer is more accurate than the fingertip or other creative methods of balancing CG. However, the jury is not out yet because I havent flown it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
                            Got my new Hobbyking CG balancer. The PT-17 balances about level at the manuals recommended 86mm CG location and with battery as forward as possible. I did push the ESC wires down as flat as possible and that did allow the battery to go more forward but did not raise the battery on a foam block nor add weight. Perhaps the CG balancer is more accurate than the fingertip or other creative methods of balancing CG. However, the jury is not out yet because I havent flown it yet.
                            You want it to be slightly nose heavy at the forward limit, it should tip nose down but not fall. You do not want this airplane to have an aft CG. CG is not an exact point - it is a range.Yes a balancer is more precise than your fingers.
                            i did not need the foam either, once I got the battery to touch the firewall and the wires stay out of the way.
                            Happy Flying.

Comment

Tomorrow morning i fly my PT17 :Smug:

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                Should be fun, like it! You gotta try a wood prop on it too, it’s a cool different sound totally!

Comment

Good luck Rifleman interested to see what you think about it. I may have one printed if it seems to be a good plane.

Comment

Break a leg man!

Woody

Comment

Both flew like a champ maidens are successful. I need 4s in the biplane though it will dang near fly backwards in this wind out here.

Comment

Both flew like a champ maidens are successful. I need 4s in the biplane though it will dang near fly backwards in this wind out here.
                                        Congratulations Rman, ya did it. ; )

Woody

Comment

:Win::Win::Win:

Comment

Working...
                                          X